Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tradtech Titan 2 with short limbs (AMO 58"). I'm wondering if I move to a longer limb (AMO 62"), will I feel a noticeable difference in pull weight at my full draw length of 28"? The limbs I currently have are Tradtech short glass/wood made by Samick. The limbs i'm considering are Tradtech long glass/wood made by WinWin. Anything else I would notice with a longer limb?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Draw weight is draw weight no matter the length of limb.
The longer limb will be much smoother than the short ones which will make the bow
more comfortable to shoot.
Most,myself included, will see an increase in accuracy which is the most important
thing.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,250 Posts
What you will get with longer limbs (assuming long version of the same limbs) is that pounds/inch at and around full draw will be less. As such, the limbs may feel lighter since it is the additional force required to move the limbs the next small bit that you feel as you draw. Holding weight is what is required to keep the bow in a static position which is different than drawing the bow. How a bow feels depends on how the leverage of the bow lines up with leverage of you body while you draw. Your strength is not the same at all points of the draw cycle. Think about lifting a weight in the gym. You can dead lift or bench press it. The weight is the same but it will feel different depending on how you lift it.

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
With 28" draw you are a medium limb guy. You will maximize the efficiency of the limbs with a medium limb.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
What about 28 3/4 to 29” draw ??? Med or longs ? I’m shooting longs on a 19” riser have always shot Longs on a 17” riser

·
Registered
617 Posts
Weight is weight. The longs will feel smoother. I'd rather shoot a smooth bow over anything else. I prefer a smooth forgiving bow over a fast bow any day

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,250 Posts
I have two bows. One bow loads most weight at the end of the draw cycle while the other loads most weight at the beginning of the draw cycle. They both have the same holding weight at 28 inches. The first bow draws back easily then hits a wall. The second bow is very difficult to start. The bow that loads weight early also stores considerably more energy than the other bow which means it will be considerably faster. I may be able to pull one of the bows but not the other, depending on how strong I am at the beginning and end of the draw cycle. These are some of factors that go into what we feel as smoothness. But in the end, weight is not weight, at least in the expanded sense that archers like to use it. We put energy into the bow, not weight, when we pull it. That energy comes from the archers body. Weight is simply an easy to measure convenience that allows us to classify bows. The assumption is that if you take two bows of equal design, the heavier one will be faster. Likewise, if you take two bows of different designs, the heavier MAY be faster. It depends on the design.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The biggest factor you will notice is the difference in limb materials. I have a set of medium ukkas that are carbon and foam core. They are like butter but I prefere my win and win black wolf limbs that are longs and have a maple core. The wood core just feels better in my opinion.

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
As noted above, the draw force curve will be different, so it will feel different but the holding weight will be the same.

At 28" DL, your best bet is medium limbs. Shorts will stack and longs won't be getting into the meat of the DFC. From that perspective, at your DL, medium or longs should feel notably smoother than the shorts, with longs feeling the smoothest (but shooting the slowest due to the reduced DFC and more limb mass to move). The best thing to do, if you can, is to try both and go with what feels best to you. Maybe visit a shop with a large JOAD and Adult program that has lots of limbs laying around and try them, see if you can get a feel for which fits best. Good luck!

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,785 Posts
What about 28 3/4 to 29” draw ??? Med or longs ? I’m shooting longs on a 19” riser have always shot Longs on a 17” riser
Probably either. Won't hurt either way. As others said, the long with be smoother, medium quicker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts