Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a hoyt horizon riser with some 42lb carbon maple limbs and a fast flight string. This thing is horribly loud and a tuning fork. I have played with brace height and limb alignment. I have tried string silencers, stabilizers, and limb savers. Some dampening but wow this thing is a bow vibrator. I have a cheapo pse razorback that is just a a thud and whoosh of the arrow. This Hoyt is disappointing at 7 times the price. Anyways, I am looking for someone in the Los Angeles area with some expertise they would be willing to share if possible. I would be willing to drive to your home turf range or something. Of course, lunch is on me. I fancy myself as knowing a few things about setting up my own bows but this one is giving me fits.

I am blessed with a wife that shares my addictions

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Try wrapping the main limb bolt with teflon tape and make sure every adjustment set screw is tight..

Mac

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
look up on hoyt web site bh depending on riser length and limb length combo .. also check for any hair line cracks in riser a very small chance of that being a problem though.. what string material check dove tail fitting on limb small allen key bolt backs out. hard to see

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
deep -

What limb are you using and what brace height ranges are you playing with. Also the arrow type / spine is a factor as is string material / number of strands.

I have about 1/2 dozen people currently using the Horizon (and own one myself) and none are loud, most are actually pretty darn quiet.

Are you getting a buzz or a slap/cracking sound?

Just saying the bow is loud doesn't really tell us much, since we can't hear it from here.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
My buddy had a 21" Horizon, and with a proper set up, it was one of the quietest, and dead in hand ILF bows that I've ever shot...Something is wrong, it seems........Harperman

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a definite problem. There is a huge amount of vibration and the sound is a buzzing one. Im using pse pro elite carbon maples. I think the are actually produced by samick. The string is looks to be 14 strand. This may be part of the problem. The shop said it was fast flight but i have no idea what kind othet than it is made by stone mountain. I have tried 8.5-9.5 BH with the bow sounding slightly better on the higher BH side. Arrow flight is spot on so tune is good shooting wise. Im shooting victory vforce 500 shafts with standard inserts, 125 gr. pts. and 4 inch parabolic feathers in a helical pattern. Arrows may be a hair stiff but they shoot well. I wish I lived a little closer to the shop that sold it to me so I could try a few different set ups. I am beginning to think their is a defect because this guy is very loud. Quite noticeable and not just by a little bit or anything.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoops i mis counted the strands it is 20 strand. I am using even tiller.

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
deep -

Swapping the limbs would rule them out, but while some limbs do have more vibration than others, not likely the problem. A "buzz" usually means something is loose.

Check things like the limb bolt lock down screws and any moving part on the rest and remove the plunger (if you have those). Yes, it will usually be the last thing you check ...

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
There is a definite problem. There is a huge amount of vibration and the sound is a buzzing one. Im using pse pro elite carbon maples. I think the are actually produced by samick. The string is looks to be 14 strand. This may be part of the problem. The shop said it was fast flight but i have no idea what kind othet than it is made by stone mountain. I have tried 8.5-9.5 BH with the bow sounding slightly better on the higher BH side. Arrow flight is spot on so tune is good shooting wise. Im shooting victory vforce 500 shafts with standard inserts, 125 gr. pts. and 4 inch parabolic feathers in a helical pattern. Arrows may be a hair stiff but they shoot well. I wish I lived a little closer to the shop that sold it to me so I could try a few different set ups. I am beginning to think their is a defect because this guy is very loud. Quite noticeable and not just by a little bit or anything.

Deepsprayj....The PSE Pro Elite limbs were made by Win & Win, and were not known for being a particularly loud limb....What length Horizon riser, and what length limbs??.....Also, how much pre-load is on the limb bolts?..., Meaning how far in, or out, from the Max. setting, are they set now?? ....9 1/2" is alot of brace height........Harperman

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are maxed out currently. I have the 25" riser and the long limbs. Let me try and describe the noise better. You know the vibrating bong sound or twang i guess that all bows have to some degree. Ok mine is like a cartoon character getting hit with a frying pan. Yes, it is that bad. I thought maybe that was the nature of olympic style bows until i shot next to a few folks and the whole shooting line stopped to look and see whos bow broke. I checked the bolts everywhere. The source so far as i can tell is the string makes alot of noise and the limbs have alot of excess vibration. I have about a 1/4 inch gap between the base of the limb and the bottom part of the limb bolt. It seems to me that when the string is released that the limb would flop back and forth a bit with that gap there. It stands to reason that any slop in the fittings would contribute to excess movement, but i cant imagine that is a defect. That gap is just too big to be an accident. This is my first ILF rig so I have no comparison. I will take some picks in the morning and shoe you guys exactly what I mean.

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
deep -

That riser / limb combination REQUIRES a 9.25" brace height minimum and a 14 strand D97 string or the equivalent. The Win&Win limbs, if similar construction to Winex, do have a high freq vibration and will required an arrow of about 9 gr / pound. A shorter brace height or lighter arrows will be louder than most, but exceptionally fast. (Shooting around 7 gr/lb on mine gives well over 200 fps, but is quite loud, going over 8 makes a noticeable difference and 9 is fairly quiet.) Borrow an inexpensive set of Samick or Flute limbs and you'll see (hear) a difference, providing you have adequate arrow weight. You'll also need to figure out what string material you have. 18 - 20 strands is fine for some and over kill on others. (If a small or large groove "G" nock fits, odds are you're fine.)

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im thinking of trying a slower string material and a heavier arrow. My current arrows are 8.1 gpi. This thing flings arrows fast. I have not chronoed this bow but it smokes all other recurves I have shot as far as being a flat shooter. I may have the kid at the shop I bought it from have a go at it as he is pretty knowledgeable and a heck of a shot. I will let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
deep -

Do not use a Dacron string on that bow. It might be quieter, but the vibration will increase. If you're going for a new string use the standard 14 strand D97, braced to 9.25" with minimal twists.

We had a similar problem with an Horizon a few nights ago. Took about 10 minutes to realize it was a loose lock nut on the plunger - yeah, that was it and the bow went silent.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Viper your awesome, I would be a customer if I lived in your neck of the woods. I will try your suggestion. Do you think i should get a different length string? It took about 40 twists to get my current string to 9.25" at a length of 64 3/4". Im starting to think maybe I got a bad string.

·
Registered
20,564 Posts
deep -

It's funny about those rigs, that seems to be the magic brace height for sound. 40 twists is less than 1 twist per inch and well within spec. I make my own strings, so I have a little more control over the length. A good coat of wax, burnished into the string will keep the twists in.

Viper1 out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts