Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't heard yet what the benefits are using a thermacell over the earth or unscented bug spray.

Thermacell is $25 and those things work for 4 hours each. I'll probably make at least 10-15 hunts where skeeters could be a problem. That gets spensive!! That would be 4 packs of refills at $4.50 per. So over $50 to keep skeeters at bay.

Bug spray... $5.

I'm covered head to toe, cept for my eyes. Skeeters can and do bite through where it is tight though, so I do have to have something.

Is thermacell that much better than the spray?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thermacell is unbelievable!! Im in FL and one of my stands is on the edge of a swampy area that holds water most of the year, so I cant hunt it before mid novermber because of the skeeters. I got my thermacell two weeks ago and sat near the stand for an hour just to see how well it works... AMAZING!!
Best $30 ive spent in a long time.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for the reply.

I understand it works and probably works well. But what makes it so different than regular bug spray?

·
Banned
910 Posts
sophisticated southern ******** like myself believe in the therma cell. Once you get up in your stand you only need to run them an hour or so, once the sun starts coming up, the skeeters tend to go away.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
jbo3 said:
I haven't heard yet what the benefits are using a thermacell over the earth or unscented bug spray.

Thermacell is $25 and those things work for 4 hours each. I'll probably make at least 10-15 hunts where skeeters could be a problem. That gets spensive!! That would be 4 packs of refills at $4.50 per. So over $50 to keep skeeters at bay.

Bug spray... $5.

I'm covered head to toe, cept for my eyes. Skeeters can and do bite through where it is tight though, so I do have to have something.

Is thermacell that much better than the spray?

Deer will smell the bug spray and blow on it. . haven't had a deer blow on the therma cell yet. So go ahead and get the bug spray... :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
thumbs up for thermacell

I bought mine earlyer in the year for turkey season, I used it for various outdoor activitys over the summer. It works, the only limiting factor is wind. if you use it in a windy area, you need to put it up wind so that the chemical that it gives off goes in your direction. I havnt got bitten yet. I only wish i would have been the one to invent it. Iam currious if the deer will notice the scent, hunting season will be my next test.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I did not know there was such a thing as earth scented bug spray. every bug spray ive seen stinks..i use thermacell...i hunt around swamps, works good

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bees said:
Deer will smell the bug spray and blow on it. . haven't had a deer blow on the therma cell yet. So go ahead and get the bug spray... :eek:
Well there ya go! Thanks. Maybe thats the reason I hadn't seen a bunch of deer in the early seasons of past. :pukey:

Wally world here I come!

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
jbo3 said:
Well there ya go! Thanks. Maybe thats the reason I hadn't seen a bunch of deer in the early seasons of past. :pukey:

Wally world here I come!
Be very careful with the Wally world...I thought they had the thermacell. Looked real close and it was the thermascent. Close but no cigar.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
the 2 arent even comparable...

This is truly one of those things that is NOT A GIMMICK.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought they had the thermacell. Looked real close and it was the thermascent.
Mine had both. Thermascent was with the other scent products, thermacell was by itself along with all the refill packs. I'll be using it this Sunday, opening day!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You made the right choice!

·
Registered
552 Posts
The biggest difference to me is that with spray the bugs hover right around you but don't land, annoying the heck out of you, and letting you know if you missed any spots. With the thermacell, its like the bugs don't exist, they stay out of sight..

·
Registered
372 Posts
bought my thermacell at walmart. it works great. the thermascent is made by the same company but it is used to disperse scent rather than repell mesquitos. mine is absolutley, positivley wonderful. i couldnt hunt here in south georgai without it. well maybe i could but not as comfortable. bugs are out of sight.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I figure I usually sit on stand for 4 hrs or so at a time, so for the $2 it cost per to run the thermacell for that long, its definitely worth it. I just spent another bug free evening in my stand. I did have deer within range, just no clear shots. Side note, I had my truck door open while I was packing up, and when I hit the map light just before pulling out, there was a mosquito about the size of a helicopter hanging from my head liner right next to the light... I'm glad the thermacell works as well as it does. Ill save the sprays for walks in the woods when I don't care about stinking.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I like the Thermacell alot better than any bug spray. The spray smells and causes me to sweat more than normal.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Some of the bug sprays will remove the finish from your bow.

·
Registered
372 Posts
mikel m14 said:
I like the Thermacell alot better than any bug spray. The spray smells and causes me to sweat more than normal.
ive noticed that as well. last year i bought the repell hunters spray that had a dirt cover scent and it made me feel weird. sweated alot too.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
I tried some of the "earth scent" bug sprays. They smelled like Off with some earth scent mixed in........just didn't work. I tried the sprays hunting hogs. Hogs have noses as good or better than deer. I couldn't get a pig within 40 yards. One hunt, the pigs were walking toward my stand. When they got to where I'd walked in, it was like they hit a brick wall. They turned and split. I practiced my usual scent-free routine EXCEPT used the earth scent bug sprays. No matter what direction they came from, they smelled me. I even tried spraying down before dressing......no good. I smelled PLUS the bugs still bothered me. :mad:

Buy a Thermocell and don't look back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts