Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a suburb of Tulsa and I just found out yesterday that shooting a bow in your own backyard is illegal.(City ordnance)
I'm told that it was only recently outlawed,so there must have been an incident.
Anyway,I've been plugging foam in my backyard for 4 months now,in full view of neighbors,without problems.

I'm not sure what to do.I'm usually a law abiding citizen but....you know....
Guess I'll have to move if I get harassed (yeah that's right...harassed)by the police.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
We have had a county ordinace in my area for years.. it's
illegal to shoot within 500 feet of any residential site.
It's not usually enforced unless a nosey neighbor want
to make an issue of it, then the police have no choice but
to uphold the law..

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
thats touchy, i too shoot within my privacy fence right along the fence so noone really notices. but i guess you just cant get mad if you get a ticket for it. that is the way i look at my situation. easton94

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
yeah that may be true, tafkas, never had it happen. but they may lump it in the same category as firearms and if that is the case i bet they will take it. something to take into account...easton94

·
Registered
371 Posts
Never heard that about a bow, but knew you couldn't shoot a firearm within so many feet of a residence.........

Course I'd never live in the city, so I don't have to worry about that stupid law.

·
Registered
Mathews Vertix, CBE Sight, Hamskea Rest, B Stinger Stabilizer, Gold Tip Arrows, Carter Release
2,764 Posts
"Harassed" by the police huh...I guess Jocephus seems to think that the police have nothing to do during their shift but give others (that are doing nothing at all wrong) a hard time. I wish all the criminals...I mean law abiding citizens in my jurisdiction would move when they get harassed.

Guess I should have chose another profession so I wouldn't have to respond to calls involving law abiding citizens doing nothing wrong and harass them.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
uh oh, busted!! i appreciate what the police do, that is why i said you couldnt be mad when the police knock on the door when you know full well its illegal. kind of like going through the roof when you get a speeding ticket for going 20 mph over. i dont think police enforcing the law is harassment, 99% of them do it in a professional manner. easton94

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm not busted for anything.
Harassing is how they act around HERE most of the time.
Even when you are doing nothing wrong.

I know that sounded bad.
Don't get me wrong....It's not harrassing to uphold the law,that's not what I'm suggesting.
Of course I appreciate what police do,who in their right mind wouldn't?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
i know i should have through a smiley in there jocephus!! here it is, better late than never..:D :) easton94

·
Registered
374 Posts
I live in the Sierra's of California and it is illegal to shoot anything in the town limits. A couple years ago I recieved a warning about shooting in my driveway into my garage. I now have to drive out of town, about 3 miles, to get out of town limits and onto forest service land.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
In Los Angeles County a bow is considered just like any other firearm. You have to have clearance behind the target. I forget the distance, but you can't cross anothers property or a public road, something like 300, or maybe 500, yards.

Anyway, I was shooting in the driveway, pretty safe. Fence directly behind the target, and the garage behind that. The sheriff was very polite, told me that I couldn't shoot a bow in the driveway. He later sent me a copy of the law that backed him up. Nice guy, apologized, told me not to get caught and left. I don't know if he was just cruising by or whether a neighbor called them.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i live in yukon oklahoma and got in trouble for shooting from my front yard to my back yard and the local police said ti was illegal to shoot but if i went into the back yard that it would be okay and the police said it was against law but if i wain my back yard and people didn;t see it they couldn't report it but also stated to be careful
rob k

·
Registered
687 Posts
I feel that you will find that its illigal in most every town.
In Ohio, it seems to be a standard law within city limits.

Its one of those things that many people never take the time to check out.

Its also one of those things the police will not mess with unless they get a complaint, or your standing out on the sidewalk blasting as they drive by!

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Just more of our freedoms being swept away by those who want to live in a bubble. I feel for ya..:mad:

Rant--

I remember back when I was a kid we used to shoot rats on Saturday mornings up at the then open-burning dump. Yep, 16-17 years old, (yes we had all taken hunter safety, and our parents knew what we were doing) having a great time blasting the millions of rats that invaded the dump for juicy morsels of whatever it is they like. It was a regular thing, there were about 8 of us there every Saturday. (great fun!) We used to have some of the selectmen, policemen, firemen, and other townspeople coming in and out thru out the morning, (Saturday morning was the typical "dump day" like everywhere in America) and they would talk with us and throw their garbage out while we were busy shooting the rats and having fun. Never a problem, never an issue. Kept us off of the streets, and out of gangs, and taught us how to respect firearms, especially when around other people. Ah, life was simple and good.

Try that today, and they'll hang your ***. Deemed "unsafe". Sheesh. Even the police think some of these laws are ******ed, ask them! But their hands are tied because they work for "the man".

My point here is that IMO the lawmakers have no clue to how the real world operates in most instances, unfortunately they only listen to the bunny huggers and other city folks who haven't a clue but like to gripe and make up generalized laws for all to abide by. Most law abiding people WITHOUT an agenda don't ever complain, so one never hears from them! I see nothing wrong with anyone who wants to shoot a BOW AND ARROW in their backyard provided they have a safe backstop, "Ohhhh, he might hit someone with a loose arrow"---well, lightning might strike him also while he's holding a metal bow in his hands, too.:eek: (but that's OK.;) )

IMO We've got to quit living in fear of everything, and simply enjoy life and all that it offers is the way I look at it. Accidents can and do happen on occasion, but they are accidents, and as I said, we cannot lock ourselves into a bubble and not experience life as it is meant to be because we are afraid to get a hangnail. No we shouldn't be stupid, and yes we should have laws that address this, but I firmly believe that this line has been steamrolled a long time ago. I'm all for a complete re-vamp of all laws in the USA as they now stand, ones that the average human being can understand, not written so no matter how you look at it they can be twisted to conform to whatever the lawmaker wants, and ones that abide by the Constitution of the USA, not ones that fit whatever politicians whim when they decide to be greased by a corporation of other individual(s). I've seen this evolving for many years now, and it really is getting ridiculous IMHO.

OK, rant over, sorry.;) Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
its not illegal in all towns, just check your regulations and shoot smart. in columbia, missouri, where i do alot of hunting...you can legally bowhunt inside the city limits. they have not had a problem with it, although they do have a bad deer/car meeting at 55 mph problem!! that is why they allow it. we can also buy 5 extra doe tags for alot of areas now, but it started around columbia and st louis i beleive. so just cover your rear is what im sayin. easton94

·
Registered
371 Posts
Harassing

Around here the cops are harassing folks....They passed the seat belt law and that's about all they look for these days......

If an adult chooses to not wear his/her seat belt, that should be their right.

If you have kids under 18, they should be buckled up, if not pay your fine.

But adults should have a choice.

If they can make you wear a seat belt, they should be able to keep you from using your very unsafe cell-phone while driving.:p

·
Banned
333 Posts
?safety?

:( or harasment? that is the question!!I hope it's safety ,,,, but not likely:( ....tool...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts