Archery Talk Forum banner

Illinois bowhunt

670 7
Guys, my son and I want to go to Illinois hunting the first or second week of Nov. Have any of yall hunted public land up there? Any tips or suggetions would be great. thanks michael
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Design&Hunt
1,763 Posts
For the public near me - get there early. Technically you are allowed to sign in 2 hours before legal light, but there are a bunch of clowns that will sign in as early as 4 hours. Only 10 are allowed at a time between the 2 fields. Bring a climber.

· Bow Only
9,594 Posts
Public land towards the north central part sucks...get all the chicago guys since its only 1-2 hrs depending on where u live.
The check in station is jammed packed and there's multiple people in each site..gotta get there wayyyy early....2 years ago I seen more people then deer....I finally got permission to hunt a very very small tract of land but took 3 deer this year...ill never pu lid land hunt near me...

· Registered
13,120 Posts
Mid to southern part of the state will give you the MOST & also good public areas. Shawnee NAtl. forest, Crab Orchard Wildlife area & several others down that way. good luck...Get the free Ill. Hunting digest from DNR (can order online). it list all public areas by zone & huntsble acres AND some are ARCHERY only..Just stay away from Chicago area & right around St. Louis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.