Archery Talk Forum banner

I'm a believer now

894 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  wood181
Several years ago, I tried bare shaft tuning with my compound with several different arrow combinations. At the time, I didn't see any difference in the bare and fletched shafts. So naturally I didn't bother with it any more.

Saturday, I was practicing at 30 yards and damaged two vanes on one of my arrows. After stripping it, I put it in my quiver, again, not expecting to see any difference in the flight. Well guys, if I could throw a baseball with a curve like that arrow, I could pitch in the majors, even at my age. It hit 11 inches left and 14 inches low!

I stripped the vanes off of two more arrows and was able to shoot two separate and very nice groups with the same point of aim, just 17 inches apart.

The bow had been shooting pretty good so I hadn't checked the tune recently. It was a real shock to see how far out it had gotten.

It only took a few minutes to adjust center shot and nock height to get the bare & fletched shafts shooting together. I checked it through paper and got bullet holes at all distances with no further adjustment.

I'm now convinced that this is a valid tuning method for getting centershot and nock point. Give it a try. If your bow is out by very much, it's kind of fun watching the bare shafts fly weird.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
431 Posts
I don't always have room to do a full walk back tune so I do Nuts and bolts modified French tune then shoot bare shafts to fine tune. I find this also gets my broadheads grouping with my field points.

Its a good feeling when field points, BHs and bare shafts all group together. You Know your on. :)

· Registered
3,609 Posts
Several years ago, I tried bare shaft tuning with my compound with several different arrow combinations. At the time, I didn't see any difference in the bare and fletched shafts. So naturally I didn't bother with it any more.

Saturday, I was practicing at 30 yards and damaged two vanes on one of my arrows. After stripping it, I put it in my quiver, again, not expecting to see any difference in the flight. Well guys, if I could throw a baseball with a curve like that arrow, I could pitch in the majors, even at my age. It hit 11 inches left and 14 inches low!

I stripped the vanes off of two more arrows and was able to shoot two separate and very nice groups with the same point of aim, just 17 inches apart.

The bow had been shooting pretty good so I hadn't checked the tune recently. It was a real shock to see how far out it had gotten.

It only took a few minutes to adjust center shot and nock height to get the bare & fletched shafts shooting together. I checked it through paper and got bullet holes at all distances with no further adjustment.

I'm now convinced that this is a valid tuning method for getting centershot and nock point. Give it a try. If your bow is out by very much, it's kind of fun watching the bare shafts fly weird.
Good thing you caught this cause your broadheads would have flew like the bare shaft did........left and low.(unless you were using mechanicals).

If you want to get it tuned a little better, keep moving back untill the bare shaft starts to plane off target again. Now , instead of adjusting your rest and nock, adjust your limbs to get it to shoot straight again. If it hits nock left decrease weight a little......nock right increase weight a little. nock high.......increase bottom limb or decrease top limb. My bow will shoot a bare shaft 35yds just like it had feathers on it. Give it a try, you won't believe the arrow flight.

· Registered
65 Posts
Wow!

Being very new to archery, I would like to try this myself.

Is there anyone around the Rice Lake to Eau Claire area in Wisconsin that would be willing to help me out? I live close to Rice Lake.

Thanks,

Darin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.