Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is for you ex smokers. And for those who want support quitting. I have seen this before and thought it was a good idea.
How has quitting smoking affected your hunting?
Have you noticed a difference in seeing deer?

I smoked 3 packs a day and smoked while hunting. (4 hours in stand was to long without a smoke) I quit over 2 years ago. I feel better and see way way way more deer. And more bucks.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
The wind is king and human smell is just as offensive as cig. smoke but I'd say yea it helped, I can go all day without coughing.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Definate difference. Before I started smoking I always saw the most deer in our group. (they all smoked) I just quit two weeks ago and I'm looking forward to going back to seeing the most deer again...!

·
Feedn The Geese
12,207 Posts
it helped my hunting in that i dont need to stop every six seconds to breathe. where i hunt, its anything but flat

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
What about Chewing tobbaco? I hear smoking but i chew tobacco and spit how bad does that affect the deer? I get my tags filled every year but never see any giant monsters lol

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Good job I always compliment people on quitting best thing you'll ever do for your life. Pass it on.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I want to quit, I've been smoking since boot camp and being given the opportunity to either work through our two 10 min breaks, or stop and "enjoy" a smoke, and within 2 weeks each and ever person in our unit smoked.....it's been 31 years and 5 months since then, but no matter what I do I just can't stop...I don't want to die a long slow lingering death....How can I stop?......Thanks,steve

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I quit 5 years ago in July. The first year after I quit I saw far fewer deer than when I was smoking. I used to smoke on the stand. After quitting I was way too fidgety. Once I settled down (second season), things evened out. I never felt smoking hindered me at all as far as seeing or killing deer.

Voodoo... I smoked for over 35 yrs., quit many times and always started back up. I have been smoke free for over 5 years now. The only advice I can give you is if you really want to quit is to just do it. If you fall off the wagon quit again. I don't think there is a magic pill, or secret trick that works. I still get cravings occasionally but I refuse to give into them. (they are few and far between, and easier to handle) I won't even accept and light up a cigar...I'm afraid I would start again. Good luck, you will feel better if you quit. I know how you feel.

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
nobody likes a quitter! :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
What about Chewing tobbaco? I hear smoking but i chew tobacco and spit how bad does that affect the deer? I get my tags filled every year but never see any giant monsters lol
I always dip in my stand and havent had any issues, with it i had many deer in close this year less than 10 yards and didnt get busted. I dont think it has an effect.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I always dip in my stand and havent had any issues, with it i had many deer in close this year less than 10 yards and didnt get busted. I dont think it has an effect.
After I walked up to my Dad on stand one day and was about 20yrds down wind from him I smelled his Wintergreen skoal that he was spitting on the ground.If I can smeel it at 20yrds I know the deer can.So I now carry aan empty 20oz Mountain Dew bottle to spit my Copenhagen in.

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
5,589 Posts
I want to quit, I've been smoking since boot camp and being given the opportunity to either work through our two 10 min breaks, or stop and "enjoy" a smoke, and within 2 weeks each and ever person in our unit smoked.....it's been 31 years and 5 months since then, but no matter what I do I just can't stop...I don't want to die a long slow lingering death....How can I stop?......Thanks,steve
You have to make up your mind that you 100% WANT to quit..your mind is much stronger than any pill or anything like that.. The cravings get worse over the course of a week or two, but then gradually go away for the most part, but the hardest part is not giving in during those first few days.. You will notice how much better you feel within weeks..

Also, take that money you are spending on cigarettes and buy something to reward yourself..I bought a pickup, and everytime I thought about smoking again, I think to myself "would I rather smoke, or have my pickup?"

Also, you will notice how much better food tastes and how much better you can smell (and others will notice how much better you smell as well!). I never thought I smelled until after I quit..now I can smell a smoker across the room..

Best decision I ever made..you just have to stick to it, and it will be the best decision you ever made as well!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Quiting made a huge difference in the amount of deer I had close. To those smokers who say is doesn't matter, BS. Makes a huge difference. Doesn't mean you won't kill anything, but the odds go up a ton

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I'm a smoker but I don't smoke while I hunt...in fact I don't even bring them with me when I leave the house. It's actually pretty easy to do if your pumped to see deer.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
After I walked up to my Dad on stand one day and was about 20yrds down wind from him I smelled his Wintergreen skoal that he was spitting on the ground.If I can smeel it at 20yrds I know the deer can.So I now carry aan empty 20oz Mountain Dew bottle to spit my Copenhagen in.
But spitting in the bottle makes that echo sound thats why i have not taken one i guess its one of them things of how bad do you want it

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Funny stuff. Thats how I started too. I started Champix not too long ago and haven't had a smoke in over a week. Its a quit smoking aid in the form of a pill. Works good, I have even got a few other people onto it. Just be prepared for the dreams.... mine were all about hunting and fishing so no problem. Others I know have quit taking the pills because of the dreams.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Smoking is sick!! Never will touch it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts