Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Colorado ELk Hunter
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hunting partner and i each killed a bull in NW Colorado. we called them both in on Aug 27th and Aug 28th. Yes i said we called them in!! They came in silent but we got them both. My 100gr Silver Flame blew threw him at 50 yards and he went about 150 yards and collapsed. I dont have pics of my buddies yet but he shot his with the WASP sharpshooter and it only went 50 yards. lot of packing elk meat but i wouldnt have it any other way. AWESOME HUNT!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
All I can say is

Wow!!! Who says double bladed broadheads (err single depending on who you are) can't make huge holes. Look at that hole in the second picture.

Great job, congrats and enjoy that fine meat.

Paul

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Nice shot that sucker didn't have any blood left in him by the looks of it :darkbeer: I can't wait to use my new SILVERFLAME 100

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Congrats!!

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Great Bull and a GREAT shot man!!

That''s about as perfect as you can get brother!.

Sounds like you had a blast man...Cograts!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Nice Elk, congratulations

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Nice bull!
Hey how did you like hunting with that loose gear shirt? I bought one this summer and like it so far. Get to test it in the field this weekend!

·
Colorado ELk Hunter
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks....

...for all the congrats. we had a blast. my buddies was a 4x4 that came into montana decoys and he was shot at 35 yards. in fact both elk that were shot came into the decoys. the bulls were shot within 500 yards of each other only 24 hours apart. then the next morning with my buddies elk carcass in clear view we called in a spike for a friend but he wasnt legal and he winded us. great time and great stories. i actually missed a 3x3 with legal brow tines the morning before. i guess it all worked out for the better. overall we saw 9 bulls in 4 days. no big bruisers but i was fortunate enough to take the biggest one we saw.

good luck to everyone else.

·
Colorado ELk Hunter
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Under aRmour

the under armor works great. i took off my main gear so we could go to work but it wick away moisture great, and keeps me cool. it got hot in the middle of the day for sure. i cant stand the tight stuff. i have to have the loose gear.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Nice Elk and great shot. Question for you. Did you feel like he died as quick, left as good a blood trail or went has far as he would have if you'd stuck him with a 3 or 4 blade head in the same place? Do you think you would have had an exit wound? I tested silver flames this summer and was way impressed with sharpness (sharpest blade period) and accuracy ( although point of impact was a couple inches off from field points and the other 4 broadheads that ended up in my quiver. In the end, I spent my deer hunt with slicks (those sharp 06 heads performed very well at 55yds) and wac'ems on elk (never got a shot at a cow--I was surrounded by big bulls though). What are your thoughts? I ultimately chose not to use them (not because of a lack of confidence in their ability) because I didn't want to have to resight or retune for them to the exclusion of the all the other heads I wanted to test.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts