Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, another hunt with no bow killed moose. I did call this bruiser in for my good friend from Indiana to 35 yards, but he hung up behing a PILE of willow brush and there was no way for a bow shot. He was ready to bolt when I gave Gary the O.K. to slam him with his .300 Weatherby. I was sick as a dog with a lung infection and cold for the whole trip, but we had a great time. I still have 14 days of season here in my game unit to score, so I haven't gave up. This was Gary's first trip to Alaska and his first moose. He was estatic for a while, but the 8 hour butchering/packing job was a chore...LOL :D

Attachments

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
AKDoug said:
62" bull BTW...here's the Super Cub landing to pick me up.

Who picked Gary up:wink: and the Moose

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
bowhuntr18 said:
wow thats a big one! shouldnt this be in the hunting secton though?
Boy, I knew that wouldn't take long...Hope you're feeling better Doug, tell your buddy congrats on a fine animal!!:)

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Good looking moose.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who picked Gary up and the Moose
Actually the meat went out on the first two flights per Alaska game regs. With the moose antlers actually strapped to the airplane wing struts. Then two flights to get Gary and I out. We flew with 40 Mile Air out of Tok, Alaska (shameless plug ;) ) and they worked their collective asses off to get us into our hunting area.

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See...the mods can't read ;) There was never an arrow pointed at this moose...LOL...move it again so no-one can read it....like to the Outdoors Section :zip:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Who would ***** about a picture of a 62" moose from God's country.

Send me a Jpeg so I can get a print for my wall!

That is a totally awesome creature,

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>

·
Registered
177 Posts
Awsome moose Akdoug! Its been about 35 days gone now and still have not seen a legal one yet :sad: Floated the canoe trails today near sterling, still no luck, Back to maud rd tomorow for more exciting attempts! Whew....only 15 days left!!! i better hurry!
Steve

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nice work Doug. Waiting this year is killing me. But I'll be more then ready next year for Alaskan monsters.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
great moose!!

something I've been thinking about going after myself

·
Registered
574 Posts
Congrats on a great hunt! Hope you are feeling better.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Thanks for the pix and CONGRATS on your buddies moose! Best of luck to you for the remainder of the bow season and I hope you get well soon.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Nice Moose. I know how you feel. It is tough to get those bulls in bow range.

In 1 week I head out on my yearly archery moose hunt.

I am 1/4(25%) so far. This year I hope to make it 2/5(40%):tongue: .

I usually get alot of action hunting the rut. Last year I had 40+ incher at 50 yards but could not get the shot I wanted. Still for me the excitement is in bringing these magnificent animals into bow range.

I have shot quite a few "rifle" Moose over the years but none are as special as that Archery Bull 3 years ago.

I also take quite a bit of abuse over it at work from the successful rifle hunters that shoot moose at 300 yards and pat themselves on the back:mad: lol....they just don't get it.

Good luck in the next couple of weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts