Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Retired now and I just finished my drive from Fort Polk, LA to North Pole, AK. My wife and I left Fort Polk on 9 Aug 03 at 0100 hrs (1:00am) towing a 31 foot travel trailer with my 318 powered 2001 dodge ram and arrived in North Pole on 16 Aug 03 at 1930 hrs (7:30pm). What a trip!!:D Actually it it went pretty good, only a couple of places with construction and only one bumpy stretch.

My neighbor came by two days after I got home and invited me to go with him to the north slope and hunt for caribou and dall sheep. We leave on Wednesday as long as the weather holds out and we will be gone for five days. Moose season starts on 1 Sep, now I just need to scout out a good spot. I know that deer seasons are beginning to start up around the country and I wish you all luck.

Enjoy,
Dan

·
Registered
916 Posts
Right on

Take care and have fun, wow retired good on ya!
If you ever need to thin some of that AK meat down well I'm a PM away.:D
Safe hunting
Out for now

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Wow congrats and enjoy retirement;) .I wish you would have stopped in at my place on the way thru,i'm assuming the bumpy stretch you mentioned was Pennsylvania....:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am 26 with a wife and 2 kids and about 3 full-time jobs. I can't wait to retire. I just don't have the time to do all of the hunting I want to do.

Good Luck.

JJ

·
Registered
232 Posts
i have the time to do all the hunting just have to work to pay for all my toys congrats on being RETIRED!!!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good and Bad!!!

:)The Good:

Thanks Guys for the congratulations!!! I really appreciate it. Now that I am retired from the army it is time to find a new job to make ends meet!!! :D

:(The Bad:

I have never hunted with my neighbor before and I found out the hard way that he is unethical. :mad: He shoots without knowing the distance and doesn't think that wounding an animal is a bad thing. He also has no regard for the law other than avoiding "witnesses". Yet he became furious when another hunter attempted to stalk a caribou that he was stalking. (they were both in a prohibited area)

He became very upset with me when I did not take a bad shot at a caribou. The caribou was facing me about 20 yards out, so I crawled around to get a broadside shot. I checked the distance with my rangefinder and he was 43 yards. I crawled a few yards closer, he saw me and ran off. I was just happy to have been that close but he was pissed. I told him that I didn't have a good shot and he said I should have shot him when he was facing me. I told him that I didn't want to miss or worse, wound him. His reaction was that I should have shot because a wounded animal is easier to chase down. I just said I was sorry that he was disappointed knowing that the 400 mile trip home was not going to be easy if I argued with him.

The really bad thing is that he is 71 years old and listening to his stories during this trip I realized that wounding animals is not an uncommon method of his and that he really doesn't care about laws, just witnesses. lord knows how many laws he has broken or wounded animals he has lost.

Needless to say, I will not hunt with him again. I just have to find a polite way to refuse his invitations. :confused: I don't want to piss him off because I have to live next door to the guy. Besides I may need his help one of these days, Alaska winters are hard enough to get through when you have help.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Glad you made it home allright.:) Utmost RESPECT for you for sticking with your ethics as a hunter and a person!:D I wish you the best of luck with your hunting, and your neighbor. I have passed on alot of elk here for the same reason(s) that you did on the Caribu, don't regret 1, just thankfull for the hunt and the memories.:) Stick to your principals....The only person you have to live with is you.:cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks for the support Hollowpoint10!! I appreciate it. I just wish all hunters were ethical, especially the ones I am with!!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Listen, you're the one I've been looking for. I've asked loads of people when they retired but keep getting either grins or blank stares. But you're the one. Dall sheep hunt next week. OK! I need an apprentiship... for retirement! Figure I need a head start just so I can get it right you know? A good hunt is just the thing to start it out right too. What-ta-ya-say?!

Congrats!

22 years in. Retired from the Corps. Semper Fi!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations!!

Congratulations on your retirement Tejas!!

Nothing better than starting a retirement with a hunt. We didn't get to hunt sheep due to some flat tires but we did see a couple really nice caribou. I just wish the guy I was with had the same hunting ethics as I do.

Come to Alaska, I'm sure we can find something to hunt!!!

Enjoy,
Dan

·
Registered
518 Posts
Man from LA to Alasksa talk about extremes.Are you originally from here our just passin thru the military base?Let me know if you need a care package of crawfish or shrimp!!!

CB

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mais, dat is a long drive shaah. Me, I guess it would be fun to visit up der but I need my swamps. Life with out crawfish. I don't think so. And you gotta have your redfish. Have fun and good luck in your retirement.;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your right guys, from one extreme to the other!! It is HOT down there and just right here!!! I was stationed at Fort Polk for 4 1/2 years and finally got back to my home here in Alaska. I will miss the food!!! I guess I won't be boiling any crawfish for awhile!!! I'll let ya know if I really need a crawfish fix!!!

Enjoy,
Dan

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
You'll just have to send them some Halibut and REAL crab legs. Now that was some good eating seafood. My last deployment in the Corps was to Anchorage's Elmendorf AFB in June. 23 hours of sun, fly fishing cold streams in waders, saw my first moose from the barracks window, and the King Salmon were running. WOW!

Of course, it wasn't cold yet either. Do like my long Texas summers on my boat!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts