Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last bow... 2015 Hoyt CST ZT
Before that.... 2014 Hoyt CST
Before that....8 other Hoyt bows.........

today, I drove three and a half hours to shoot an obsession Phoenix... and how do I feel about it you ask.......
Instant Fanboy Status!!!!

full story coming when I get in front of my computer.

·
Registered
920 Posts
There is a reason they named the company Obsession Bows. You will be hard pressed to stop at just one. Welcome to the family.

·
Registered
19,348 Posts
Mighty fine bow that Phoenix. Can't wait to see a '15.

·
Registered
557 Posts
And it begins... welcome to the fold!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Ive got the Fusion 7 on order, coming from Elite...I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about.....
Creeks!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And Now..... for the rest of the story.

So I have been fighting an inner battle over the last month or so, with whether to stick with what I know and trust (HOYT), or step off the ledge and try something new. This compounded with the fact that I knew I hadn't liked the aluminum offerings from Hoyt for the last couple years, and this year I didn't really want to shell out the cash for the new carbon bow because I have other things I'm trying to keep some money set aside for right now. However, I was also tired of my 2014 CST.
Long story short, I searched and read, and searched and read, for a week or so, trying to find an option that I thought may be good enough to keep from missing the carbon spyder too much. The obsession name came up time and time again, but not knowing much about them and not having a close dealer to go shoot one.... I did the unthinkable.... I ordered the 2015 carbon bow.. Now over the last week or so as I was waiting for the Hoyt, I continued to read reviews and talk to obsession dealers, and finally my curiosity got the better of me on last Friday and I ordered a Prairie Phoenix and put the Hoyt up for sale. Well this morning, the Hoyt sold, but obviously I don't have the Phoenix yet, and haven't shot one, so I panic a little wondering if I'll like the Phoenix at all, or even enough to deal with for a year or so. Now, in a mad dash to track one of these things down to shoot, before shipping the hoyt off, I jump back on the phone and call the only dealer that I knew had a few, and off I go.
Well 3-1/2 hours later I arrive at the shop and walk in to get my first in person glimpse of the Obsession bows. My first impression was that they looked awesome! (especially compared to the hoyts I'm used to) I literally really did like every combination they had. The colors are vivid and sharp, the texture of the finish is outstanding and I like the riser design much more than I thought I would.. PICTURES DO NOT DO THESE BOWS JUSTICE!.. As I picked the bow up, I noted the weight, which is about the same as the carbon bow. Also, in a weird way the hole thing feels thinner and longer than it is, which I felt made it hold better later on when I was shooting it. The draw is very nice, but I find it very comparable to the Z5 Hoyt cams, they load fast and pull smoothly and consistently to the valley. Oh,, the valley my friends.... the valley and backwall is where this thing separates itself completely from Hoyt and many others. It falls smoothly (no elite type drop off) into a generous valley, with a letoff that you could hold forever, and a backwall right on par with elite... The other thing I liked about the valley in this bow was that you were still capable of letting it down without feeling like you had to completely let go, and then rip your arm out trying to catch it when it went. It was very manageable and in my opinion pretty much perfect. The shot was very smooth, and balanced, and vibration was pretty much non existent, as it is in many of todays best bows.
In the end I walked out of the shop with a new bow and to my surprise something that I really do like better than anything else I have shot to date....PERIOD! I will probably sell the Prairie model that is on the way, since it doesn't make sense to me to have two of the same bows in my position. I am strongly considering ordering a fusion 7 though, that is, if I continue to love this bow as much as I think I will..

**first pet peeve ..... doesn't agree with a tightspot quiver..grrrr. I love my tightspot quiver.. What are you guys using?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'll have to get some better ones outside soon....

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Oh boy oh boy! You're making me excited for when I get back home and get my hands on my bow.. I ordered it without even shooting it :wink:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol... me too, and then when I went to make sure I ended up buying a second one....lol

·
Registered
957 Posts
No issues with a TightSpot on my Evolution.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As you can see in the pictures, it's on there, and I'm exaggerating the situation. The only downfall Is that it can't get as close to the bow because of the cable guard. You have to mount it the same way you would with a dovetail sight. I'm used to it with my Hogg father sight, I just hoped to be all set with the tek hybrid...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Guys-all the reviews i have read about Obsession bows is no bull ****. I been reading reviews about them for over 2 months.
no dealer within 3hrs from me. I took a big leap and purchased a 2014 phoenix without shooting it first. I am hitting 52 yrs old now. Shot alot of bows in my lifetime. This bow is so-sweeeeet. 65#er. I no bows-IT is a quite bow. IT is dead in your hand. The draw is very smooth,next thing you know your anchored. Good valley and not jerky. Easy to tune. Shoot one, you will not be disappointed. I sold my bowtech. I sold my hoyt. I sold my bear venue. Still have an elite answer-but it is now a backup. Obsession Phoenix #1. The sad part is, i just got a 2014-and they say the 15s are going to be better. my two cents worth thou. Serious, these bows are awesome. I have never been brand specific on a bow.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Guessing you have the premium tight spot? Heard standards aren't very good at all
I think you mean Treelimb quivers. Tightspot does not have premium and standard versions.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My TightSpot is nearly 5 years old. Granted I do have a Black Gold Ascent sight with a 4 inch dovetail.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is that gun metal with natural limbs?

And you can get a premium treelimb to match the bow.

yes it is.. and I'll keep my tightspot, it just doesn't squeeze in as tight as it could to the bow, but it's fine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts