Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade: 2010 PSE OMEN (&DS), BowTech Destroyer or Mathews Monster?

I have an 2007 BowTech Guardian (29 - 70) and I love it... but it's time to upgrade. Unfortunately here in Maine I don't have quick local access to any of the following 3(4) bows. (None of the dealers have any, yet.)

2010 - PSE XForce Dream Season (& possibly the OMEN but the brace scares me)
2010 - Mathews Monster (not the XLR8 or 7.0)
2010 - BowTech Destroyer 350

What does everyone think? I am not in any way loyal to a certain brand. On paper, i'd say the 2010 PSE Dream Season is what i'm leaning towards. It seems to be the best all around bow. I will eventually shoot them all... but am I on the right track? Just to mention.. smooth draw means NOTHING to me. I needs to be fast, forgiving & relatively quiet... in that order. Thanks!

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
I have a DS UF and have shot the destroyer (never shot monster)

I wouldnt give up my DS for the destroyer

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have not shot the omen personally but the guy at the pro shop I go to has been shooting for years and got an omen. He's only had it a month or two and he is already looking to get rid of it. He siad "it is what it is, it's a speed bow." He also said it has very little forgiveness.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a DS UF and have shot the destroyer (never shot monster)

I wouldnt give up my DS for the destroyer
Yeah, the Destroyer has 1/2 less brace and is still behind the DS in performance. How much of an adjustment do you think it will be coming from an 80% letoff with my Guardian and moving toward a DS thats between 60 -70%? That is literally my only concern with the DS.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not shot the omen personally but the guy at the pro shop I go to has been shooting for years and got an omen. He's only had it a month or two and he is already looking to get rid of it. He siad "it is what it is, it's a speed bow." He also said it has very little forgiveness.
That 5 1/2 brace scares me a bit... thats kind of why I was leaning toward the DS. Thanks for the information guys. Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'm with KurtVL on the DS UF. I've shot the Monster and Destroyer as well and for me the DS UF is still the way to go. But, you will need to decide for yourself. It will take a little to get used to the let off difference, but you can tweak the UF cams on the PSE some to change the feel a bit. Not sure what you can do on the Monster and Destroyer for tuning. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
My reccomendation is to shoot all three and make your own choice-whats important to me, may not be to you. "Feel" of a bow is very subjective.

But here is my take: I've shot them all- the Monster 5 & 6 quite a bit- the D350 a couple times, and I own the DSUF.

Out of the 3, the D350 has the nicest draw- thats relatively speaking-its still a speedbow, but it is the nicest drawing for me. The M5 draws a bit smoother than the M6 which I don;t care for. The DSUF has a curve about the same as the M5 - bit less hump than the M6, but it's smoother than the Omen and def not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. I would never own a 70 pounder, but at 60 pounds its extremely manageable and shoots about the same speeds or better with the same arrow weight as many of my 70 pound bows did (My Reezen 6.5 and Katera for example). The DSUF is surprisingly comfortable to shoot and quiet. I was floored, I thought it would have some thump and bump and vibe, and it just doesn't. The D350 prolly has a slight edge in recoil, but the DSUF has less vibe (the flex guard has a slight vibration to it), and def is quieter/less vibey than the M5/6.

The Monsters I don't care for the feel of the bow itself- the weight/balance, etc- it just feels big & bulky and blocky in my hands (not just the grip- the entire thing). But the AVS cam system is nice because it locks up nice at full draw very similar to a binary. It's a good shooting design for sure, and I'm lokoing forward to shooting the M7 to see if they have been able to improve the "feel" characteristics that bother me about the M5/6.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My reccomendation is to shoot all three and make your own choice-whats important to me, may not be to you. "Feel" of a bow is very subjective.

But here is my take: I've shot them all- the Monster 5 & 6 quite a bit- the D350 a couple times, and I own the DSUF.

Out of the 3, the D350 has the nicest draw- thats relatively speaking-its still a speedbow, but it is the nicest drawing for me. The M5 draws a bit smoother than the M6 which I don;t care for. The DSUF has a curve about the same as the M5 - bit less hump than the M6, but it's smoother than the Omen and def not nearly as bad as I thought it might be. I would never own a 70 pounder, but at 60 pounds its extremely manageable and shoots about the same speeds or better with the same arrow weight as many of my 70 pound bows did (My Reezen 6.5 and Katera for example). The DSUF is surprisingly comfortable to shoot and quiet. I was floored, I thought it would have some thump and bump and vibe, and it just doesn't. The D350 prolly has a slight edge in recoil, but the DSUF has less vibe (the flex guard has a slight vibration to it), and def is quieter/less vibey than the M5/6.

The Monsters I don't care for the feel of the bow itself- the weight/balance, etc- it just feels big & bulky and blocky in my hands (not just the grip- the entire thing). But the AVS cam system is nice because it locks up nice at full draw very similar to a binary. It's a good shooting design for sure, and I'm lokoing forward to shooting the M7 to see if they have been able to improve the "feel" characteristics that bother me about the M5/6.
I'm with KurtVL on the DS UF. I've shot the Monster and Destroyer as well and for me the DS UF is still the way to go. But, you will need to decide for yourself. It will take a little to get used to the let off difference, but you can tweak the UF cams on the PSE some to change the feel a bit. Not sure what you can do on the Monster and Destroyer for tuning. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks guys! The more I read, the more I think i'm going to love the Dream Season... now if I can just get my hands on one!

·
Registered
18,299 Posts
Look on hunters friend and give them a call they can hook you up

·
Registered
587 Posts
i owned a monster and shot all of them i shot the lights out of everything with my monster and regret getting rid of it everyday for a six inch brace height that was probably to this day the most forgiving bow ive ever shot jus my 2 cents hope i gave ya a little info

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I've shot all of these bows to compare them a couple of weeks ago. They're all decent bows, and each shooter is gonna feel different about them.

I think the monster is alright. To me it feels a little unrefined. It's a little top heavy for my taste. The draw cycle is ok. Fair amount of hand shock and noise at the shot.

The omen, like someone said earlier, is a speed bow. It draws like one and shoots like one. Not overly forgiving, pretty big hump in the draw cycle. Decently quiet, pretty dead after the shot. If you creep a little bit, it's gone.

The D350 has the best draw cycle to me. Pretty solid all the way, then it drops off into the valley. Quiet and dead when you shoot it, just a little buzz afterward.

If I were ranking these bows I would say...

1) Destroyer
2) Omen
3) Monster

On a side note, be sure to shoot the Strother SR-71 and Hoyt Alphaburner. The strother bows shoot really well. I'm not a Hoyt guy, but the Alphaburner is really nice. Great draw cycle and dead in your hand when you shoot.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I love my omen the brace height realy did not hurt my groups at all, i actually shoot this bow more accurately than my 08 ds.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I have an 2007 BowTech Guardian (29 - 70) and I love it... but it's time to upgrade. Unfortunately here in Maine I don't have quick local access to any of the following 3(4) bows. (None of the dealers have any, yet.)

2010 - PSE XForce Dream Season (& possibly the OMEN but the brace scares me)
2010 - Mathews Monster (not the XLR8 or 7.0)
2010 - BowTech Destroyer 350

What does everyone think? I am not in any way loyal to a certain brand. On paper, i'd say the 2010 PSE Dream Season is what i'm leaning towards. It seems to be the best all around bow. I will eventually shoot them all... but am I on the right track? Just to mention.. smooth draw means NOTHING to me. I needs to be fast, forgiving & relatively quiet... in that order. Thanks!

PSE Omen wouldn't be an upgrade. Have you shot that darn thing?

Your list should read like this:
2010 - Mathews Z7
2010 - Mathews Reezen 6.5
2010 - BT Destroyer 350
2010 - Hoyt Maxxis 31
2010 - Hoyt Alphaburner

The Monster & Omen were not the best shooting bows for sure, and yes, before I upgraded I shot them ALL.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Totally agree with this last post, I shot the Destroyer at local shop as soon as he got it in, and noticed a little buzz after the shot. Not bad, but slight. I thought maybe at first maybe it was a little vib or shock coming from the new flex-guard moving during the shot. I got my Destroyer 350 today and found out its not that at all, there was slack in the string and the string stop, because.......they always back the bows off at the shop so its easy for people to draw. Crank it back up to 70 lbs, string is tight, and bow is dead in the hand and really quiet! I love the draw and the valley and wall are awesome. I feel like I could hold that bow forever if a deer or elk paused for a minute before the shot. I shot the Monster and Monster xlr8, and to me there is no comparison in the draw, valley, back wall, and shot. Way smoother in your hand. Here's what I just got with it, G5 peep, Limb Driver Rest, d-loop, 434 gr Maxima Hunter arrows, 29" draw, 71 lbs= 308 fps. Perfect for my hunting set up, fast but not too fast to control fixed broadheads.

·
Hunt Fair Chase
2,596 Posts
Of those bows, the Omen is the true speed demon. I'm more accurate with it than any other hunting bow I've owned. It's not an "every man" man, but I love it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PSE Omen wouldn't be an upgrade. Have you shot that darn thing?

Your list should read like this:
2010 - Mathews Z7
2010 - Mathews Reezen 6.5
2010 - BT Destroyer 350
2010 - Hoyt Maxxis 31
2010 - Hoyt Alphaburner

The Monster & Omen were not the best shooting bows for sure, and yes, before I upgraded I shot them ALL.
I do have a Mathews shop right around the corner... Literally every time I go in he doesn't have a Monster for me to shoot. He does have one on order though. I have shot the Z7 & Reezen 6.5. Didn't care for the Reezen at all. Nothing about it felt "right" (except the draw... which I could care less about.) The Z7 on the other hand, is sweet. I really liked that... but again, in terms of speed, its not much of a step up from my Guardian... maybe 5 fps or so. You are correct though, the Z7 should be on my list because it is without a doubt one of the best bows on the market for 2010... just not quite fast enough for what i'm looking for.

Thanks again for the input everyone! Keep it coming!

·
Registered
220 Posts
like many others, it's your feel that's most important. i have also shot all three and am going with the omen in a 28-80, i want the speed and have a dream season that i love and is very accurate. but the monster is just that, a big heavy monster, shoots fast but larger for tree stand hunting. the smoothest hands down is the destroyer. on draw and shot, if it came in an eighty lb pull i may think about it. but the Oman's small size and speed are for me. find a way to shoot them all, took me three different shops to get it done but i wanted the feel for myself. happy hunting!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have owned the Monster and shot the Destroyer and I wont be letting go of my Omen until theres a Omen 2. I love it and theres nothing like it. I shoot it as well as many target Hoyts and Mathews I have owned thats 40fps slower. Its not for everyone but if your form is rock solid then its a sweet machine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hello,hm3 were in maine are you located?maybe i can help you out!!
I'm in the Lisbon / Topsham area... I work in Portland and I'm at LLBean at least 2 or 3 days a week. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts