Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I got interested in archery a few years ago while camping with friends. they had a little re curve set and i could not put it down. fast forward a few years i acquired a re curve bow but it has no string and i have no idea what the brand name or even the weight is. any way fast foreword a few more years my husband just bought me some arrows and i'm super pumped to get started. i want to be able to compete someday and go to major tournaments and competitions. is this even something i can accomplish? i'm a 30 year old mother of 2 with absolutely no prior experience in archery except for that wonderful camping trip. does anyone have any tips for me? how do i get started on my dream of becoming an awesome archer?

thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome to archery! There is no reason why you would not be able to compete. I would suggest since you are just starting out, go to a pro shop and have them help you get set up. Also see if they have an instructor, take some lessons and get your form down now. Especially before you create "bad" habits. Most important have fun! :smile:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
lilpooh31 said it all! Start out right. And 30 is nothing... you got this! GO FOR IT!

·
Registered
50 Posts
lilpooh said it all! Mostly...have fun! That's what the sport is all about

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'm really excited and happy for all the positive feedback. I will be going to a shop hopefully this week they have an indoor range and give lessons etc. I wonder how long until I can try out some competitions? do you have to be part of a club to compete?

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
is this even something i can accomplish? i'm a 30 year old mother of 2 with absolutely no prior experience in archery except for that wonderful camping trip. does anyone have any tips for me? how do i get started on my dream of becoming an awesome archer?
Well, you're kinda young, but that shouldn't hold you back.

I started shooting competitively when I was 8, in 1959. At one point I was a state and sectional champ in the Mid-Atlantic region. I still shoot year round, both hunting and target games.

One year, when my oldest daughter was 16, I talked her into shooting with me. She started shooting in April, and was the Women's state 3D champion in August. She got a modest amount of coaching, and a lot of encouragement. I made sure she had good equipment appropriate for her size and goals.

She also competed in Track and Cross Country, High School and College. It came with a special mindset that was a lesson for me. It's not whether or not you're winning. It's about doing your best, and improving on your own best, irrespective of where you finish, or how you are doing on a particular day. That attitude took her to NCAA All American in Track and Cross Country. I learned a lot from that. If you approach your archery endeavor with that attitude, you will never lose, you will only get better. Not every day, or every shoot, but on average, you will get better.

Thirty is young. Mother of two is an achievement. Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Get decent equipment, join a club, and shoot. Women do incredible things these days, and you can be one of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are off to a great start, you have a goal you wish to achieve and the mind set to go for it. you are getting excellent advice here, I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I, too, started shooting in my early 30's and have two kids. I've been shooting for 7 years now and am competitive at the local, state and national level and my goal is to go international. The key (at least for me) is having a good coach. If you have that, you'll go much farther than if you go it alone. Equipment is important, but coaching is vital.
I think it's incredibly important for your kids to see you start something, set a goal for yourself and go out and achieve it. It sets a great example and tells your kids that you're so much more than "just Mom." I know my boys look at me very differently when I'm shooting. I'm "kick-butt Mom." Go get 'em!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts