Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im hunting in southeast georgia near savannah. i go to school at georgia southern university. im not use to hunting down here. everything is so thick that its really hard to get on deer. im from above macon ga where theres nice oak bottoms and such. i just cant get on any deer down here. any suggestions from someone who knows how to hunt very thick woods would be appreciated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Find the food and hunt close to it.:wink:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there are soybean fields around the property i hunt but they dont come out into the fields intill dark. around the fields it is too thick to shoot, any there arent many trees very high. acorns are starting to fall but it seems like the deer bed neer them in the woods.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. I would probably find what the deer are attracted to the best. whether it be a certain corner of the field, one white oak around reds, a hidden apple tree that produced. A lot of times in the thick stuff I can find one little area that the deer really like and I'll just "put all my eggs in that basket for a little while". Walk their trails and see where they go.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Not a problem. Good luck. I was in the same situation when I was in school. It gets really hard to make it to class when your tags are not filled.

Patrick

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
This time of year think about what's most comfortable. If the woods you're hunting is made up of the samething that most of southeast GA is made of, being planted pines and creek bottom hardwood drainages than concentrate on the hardwood drainages. If you ever walk into one of these areas this time of year and the temps are in the high 80's to mid 90's you'll notice it's cooler in the drainages. Usually there is plenty of browse and hard mast for the deer to browse on and not to mention water that if they do leave they won't usually travel far to another food source. When they do leave it will more than likely be at night. Look for trails and crossings around small creeks and if you can find a few good white oaks dropping or some persimmons with lots of tracks then hang a stand and hunt ASAP. Alot of times you'll find rubs and some scraping starting to show up in the upland areas right now and you might find a great trail but this can be very misleading and more than likely is happening at night. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill try to hunt the water. it makes sense because it is hot right now. it is hard to make it to class because ill im studing right now is deer tracks, deer trails, and deer. if that was a class i would have an A right now.:wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts