Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, maybe not the worst, but I learned a very hard lesson the past 2 days.

2 weeks ago my cord I use to haul my bow up and down the tree broke about 4FT from the ground sending my brand new 101st crashing to the forest floor.

Last night, we're pushing some does around and I have one broadside at less than 10 yards. I shoot, my arrow goes right UNDER her belly and disappears into waist high grass (Easton Axis nano w/Rage 2 blade = -$25). 30 seconds later another doe comes to the same place, and the SAME THING happens! So I'm out $50 and have no meat. I was thinking that I set my 20 pin too low on these 2 deer since they were so close.

This morning, I get in my tree, 20 minutes later, I range a doe at 20.5 yards. I set my 20 pin on her, release and yup, you guessed it, right UNDER her!!!! I was so pi$$ed off I got out of my tree as I didn't have any business being out there after missing 3 EASY shots in the last 15 hours.

I hit the range at my boy's house, and my sight was DEAD ON left-to-right, but shooting about 18 inches low. The only thing I can guess was that it got hit when it dropped from the tree. This is my own fault and a very hard lesson learned.

Take it from the worst bowhunter on the planet (this guy) CHECK YOUR BOW IF YOU BANG/DROP/HIT IT ON ANYTHING. I lost enough sleep last night for all of us! :mad:

· aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
Just be glad you had clean misses rather than wounding an animal, get back out there and shoot a big one!:darkbeer:

· Registered
5,465 Posts
I shoot at a minimum 3 arrows every time before I go out hunting. Sometimes I have to do it where I park my truck because I leave right from work, but I always make sure my bow is on before I hit the woods.

Not only does it make sure my bow is right but it helps me to make sure that I'm on also.

Don't worry it happens to all of us sooner or later, why do you think always shoot before I go out!:wink:

· Registered
156 Posts
You've seen deer nearly every time you've been out.
They have all been within range.
You were able to draw back on all of them without getting busted.

I'd say you are doing better than a majority of everyone here.

· Registered
19,551 Posts
i dropped my bow out of 2 different trees in the same morning....not something im proud of but it happened

right after each time...i shot the bow at a b-head target at 20 yard sto check if everything was still good!! always check your bow

good luck for the rest of the season

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the encouragement fellas. It's doe season and the weather the last 2 days has been foggy, rainy and cool. That's why we're seeing so many deer. I've just never missed that badly before, but as the 2nd post says, I'm thankful they were clean misses and I didn't wound any. Had I hit one low yesterday, between the heavy rain and the waist-high grass, poor sucker would have been coyote food.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Let me get this straight, you dropped your bow from some heighth from your stand and didn't shoot it before you hunted again to make sure it was still shooting right?
I'm just kidding with you and poking fun at you because you were poking fun at yourself. That sucks! Sounds like you'll have plenty more opportunities. I'm sure you posting this will keep some other idio....er, some other hunter from making the same mistake! :wink:
come on! I'm kidding! If I had a dollar for every time I've done something stupid to screw up a shot....Keep your head up!

· Registered
5,249 Posts
I once shot a deer in ***** because i dropped my bow and knocked the sights off, felt pretty stupid, thank god for the femoral artery. It happens dude dont worry about, if you were the worst bowhunter in the world, your screename would be the critter.........lol.

· Registered
748 Posts
i had a cord break one time and my bow fell about 5ft and broke my site right off... this was before i was into archery pretty serious, so it didnt bother me much,,, now i would flip a gasket..

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Remedy

Well since nobody else brought this up I will. This is what I do and recommend to all. Once I've got my equipment dialed in, I put some match marks on my sights and my arrow rest so that at a glance I can see if anything has moved. Repeated shooting with vibration being present alone can cause things to loosen not to mention dropping it. Match marks are easy to do and I recommend a scratching method rather than a marker of some type. It's a cheap insurance policy.

· Registered
3,050 Posts
That is one reason I use Spot Hogg sights. They can take a beating and not change at all.

But everyone is right, after a trauma, you at least have to ensure your bow is shooting the way you expect it too.

I'd come out and keep your bow in tune if I could hunt your spots.

Sounds like you live in deer paradise.

Good luck and post pictures when you get one.

Ray

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.