Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been shooting X10 Protours, and on the nock end I decided to try out the "Custom Made Target" wraps that are on Lancaster. On those wraps are obviously the AAE PM 2.0s; however after about 2 weeks of shooting them, I have had 7 vanes in total comes off during my practice sessions. I'm not getting any contact with my rest, so I can atleast rule that out. However, my pro-shop says the wraps are whats causing the vanes to continue to come off. How much validity does this statement hold in this situation? AAE offers a primer/glue that next time I get more fletched, I will ask them to use that and see if it makes a difference. But I've just never had this many problems with fletchings before, anyone got some thoughts on a solution here?

·
Full Time Novice
7,161 Posts
im goign to say the pen if you dont use the pen and maxx bond add humidity in the mix as well and its gave over. So i dont run wraps I clean my shafts with M.E.K. and if I dont have a pin I will use the MEK to clean the base of the vane. I also use a accelorator for my glue that helps too

·
Registered
691 Posts
Is the dried glue stuck to the wrap or the vane? Which surface it is NOT adhered to is the problem. I fletched AAE Hybrid 2.0 onto Bohning wraps. Used the primer pen and AAE glue, no problems. Time to buy the fletching jig and make your own, will pay for itself.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I switched to the hybrids. The 'Max' series requires the primer. Even then, I've found they don't stick as well as the hybrids.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
There has to be about 50 threads on AAE vanes coming off. I wish the company would fix their product or include the glue and fancy whatever needed to get them to stick with the purchase of vanes so that people don't waste time and money.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There has to be about 50 threads on AAE vanes coming off. I wish the company would fix their product or include the glue and fancy whatever needed to get them to stick with the purchase of vanes so that people don't waste time and money.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I tried them out when I switched over to X10s, hoping that lower profile would give me some different results in wind. The pro shop I go to SWEARS up and down that the reason those fletchings are coming off is because I'm using wraps. And I literally told them to fletch this dozen with the primer and glue AAE offers, so, I hope in time I'll see them hold up like I hope they will. If not, may have to try another fletching situation out.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,601 Posts
More than any other reason is improper arrow prep. I don't know how many different vanes have said wouldn't stick. I think the Fusion Zeon was said the worst. I prepped the shaft, removing any trace of old glue - not even a shadow hint of glue. Scuffed the green Scotch Bright, cleaned with denatured alcohol and used Bohning Platinum. Presto!

And then I'm not a fan of wraps. They have to cleaned also, but then when having to re-fletch the wrap gets shucked. More cost and work than what I want......

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
my shop hates them (MAX series), really tries to talk folks out of them b/c they are a hassle to install. IF you do everything right with AAE cleaner and pen, etc they should hold, but it's a time consuming process (esp for a shop who can knock out a doz on a 12 position jig with "standard" fletching/glue practically while you are standing there talking shop ;).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts