Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so tomarrow, when i wake up, im going to go stump shooting for the first time. Now i will check this board before i go, to make sure i dont mess up. I will be going on my property, to shoot stuff, i have a 55# recurve, shooting easton 2216 arrows wtih 125 grain field points. shooting a tree stump is not going to bend my arrows?

im sure it coooould bend my arrows, is my set up ok? besides the usual "your draw weight is too heavy!!" i know, any other suggestions though?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
My best suggestion is don't shoot anything with those field point that you can't pull the arrow back out of. The best heads I've found for stump shooting are Ace Hex Blunts an Judo points becasue they don't stick and they don't skid along the ground.

By the way, the term "stump shooting" doesn't necessarily mean you shoot tree stumps. It's more of a "wander around and shoot at whatever you feel like" sort of thing. Weeds, leaves, tufts of grass, mushrooms, walnuts, whatever suits your fancy. The most important rule though, aside from safety, is to have fun.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't think you can really mess up. Just shoot at whatever you think you can retrieve your arrow from (just beware of misses, river background usually means a miss is a lost arrow).

Heck, I've shot at hornets nests and fire ants nests (just get your arrows during the dead of winter :) ).

I carry a mix of arrows, judo, hex, field, and broad head points with plain and flu-flu fletching. Great fun, though I usually only do it during scouting for deer. The rest of the time I'm at the range if I'm shooting - 2 hour drive to my lease and a good stump shooting place or 5 mins to the range :)

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Unless you got some really rotton stumps, shoot something else. "Stump shootin" is just a phrase--if you go out and start shooting stumps at random, you will be out of arrows pretty quick.

I'm partial to the Ace heads myself--hard to loose, and they really do a number on small game too.

Chad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts