Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its been the third day shooting my Imperial and the second shooting some woodies I pick up for it. I shot quite a bit yesterday evening but this evening a new batch of mosquitoes chased me in after a few ends. In the video I had mentioned it was about 15 yards away, after I grabbed my arrows I paced it out and it was more like 18 yards away. Not great shooting, still dropping my bow arm to much :( but it has been a blast shooting the Imperial and so far I am liking the wood arrows.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Good Job! couple questions? what's your brace height? nock point ?How would you compare it to the original? Watching you shoot woodies makes me want too. I keep going back to carbons .It's hard to put down, huh?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fatzboys - currently the brace height is 6-1/2, nocking point is somewhere shy of 1/2 I was playing around with it a little tonight and had dropped it somewhat.
Comparing it to the original I would say less hand shock, smoother pull, I think it is balanced in my hand better at full draw.
I also picked up a new set of carbons but they are showing weak so I will have to do some trimming on them. The woodies I am shooting are 40-45 5/16th 30" with 100g tips. So far at closer range they seem to fly pretty good. This weekend I will get out to my local club were I can get out to 20 yards and beyond.
And yes it is very hard to put down. I certainly think Kegan hit a homerun on his Imperial design. I have summer league starting up next week and I think I will be choosing 3D since I shot spot this winter. Change it up and try something new for me.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might be a tad slower. When I shot my carbons which are at just a tad over 10g per inch they get there plenty fast. Since I am pretty new to wood arrows can't really compare them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Think I'm going to get another dozen of woodies. The ones I have (65-67 ) are stiff. I'm been , trying to tune the bow to the arrow. I have nothing on the string,brought the brace down to 6 7/8, and what has helped a little is going to a thinner tab. I could get some heaver points,but the arrows are over 600 grains now. It doesn't look like I can take out anymore twists in the string either.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
I'm fingers crossed that my Imperial gets into the form sometime in June.

-Grant

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grant - I don't think I am at your level in archery but I am really pleased with the Imperial. I think you will be pleased as well.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Wood arrows with the Imperial just go together really well. Good to see more Imperial videos, makes me realize how awesome they are! lol

You make me want to buy a set of wood arrows to play with. And.. I'm broke! :D

Thanks for putting this together, that was fun to watch!

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
Nice video Arron, I understand the mosquito comment.

You guys liking the wood arrows, in my opinion if you aren't making them yourself you are missing out on one of the best parts of shooting woodies...:wink:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Easykeeper - My plan going forward would be to make them. I thought I would try a half doz just to see if I liked them. I do have a artistic side to me and making my own wood arrows would be a nice outlet.

·
Registered
12,058 Posts
They are a blast to make, especially if you get into caps and cresting. A few simple tools, some wood finishing materials, and a dust free place to work is all you need.

- Fletching tool (if you don't already have one).
- Some way to taper the nock and point end. There are pencil sharpener types but an inexpensive jig and a sanding wheel probably works best. I've always used the cheapie pencil type, just make sure you have sharp blades.
- A cap can be dipped or sprayed. I've done it both ways and think dipped gives the best results but spraying is easier. Good results can be had either way.
- Cresting...this is one place where a few well spent dollars is worth it. I played with homemade cresting tools over the years and actually did pretty well with a portable drill and some strategically placed cardboard. I finally bought a Spinrite cresting tool a few years ago, wish I would have bought one sooner.

Even though all I shoot is carbons these days, I still think wooden arrows definitely have a cool factor missing from other materials. They aren't as consistent or durable as aluminum or carbon, but good ones fly as well (brutal culling is part of shooting woodies) and have a feel and quietness that other shaft materials don't. A well made and finished wooden arrow is also much nicer to look at and handle than modern materials, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I'll be honest. I thought about making my own before. I think it would be a lot of fun.

Whats holding me back is not trusting myself shooting a arrow I made from wood. I'm already a little "iffy" about shooting carbon arrows lol. Especially all the threads that popped up last week about them breaking. I definitely agree, there is very much a "cool" factor in seeing wood arrows fly from a trad bow!

If you start making your own, please keep us posted. I for one am very interested in seeing them :) Thanks.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Stub,

Those "breaking wood shaft" threads you mention from last week were merely from last week ... a singular, specific, miniature and insignificant point in time! Wood arrows have been in use for centuries, and have a fantastic track record. That they are still heavily in use within the modern industrial age of metallurgy (and the molecular manipulation of carbon) is a testament to their excellence in the hands of one who opts to shoot them.

Any shaft material can break, bend, or otherwise fail. Likewise a wood or metal bow.

Wood arrows indeed have the "cool factor" upon observation, and, if one is curious, are worth exploring to see if they have the "really cool factor" within your own shooting.

When the whim strikes, give them a try.

·
Registered
76,761 Posts
Well its been the third day shooting my Imperial and the second shooting some woodies I pick up for it. I shot quite a bit yesterday evening but this evening a new batch of mosquitoes chased me in after a few ends. In the video I had mentioned it was about 15 yards away, after I grabbed my arrows I paced it out and it was more like 18 yards away. Not great shooting, still dropping my bow arm to much :( but it has been a blast shooting the Imperial and so far I am liking the wood arrows.
Actually great shooting... but it seems your elbow is not quite aligned ... and I'm wondering about that last shot.... :grin:

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Grant - I don't think I am at your level in archery but I am really pleased with the Imperial. I think you will be pleased as well.
I have bow-arm stability issues which is all that much tougher with light mass bows, so longbows have always been a challenge. I think I've got as much extra weight screwed into my riser as my Imperial will weigh. Needless to say I'm not expecting similar accuracy results but I'm looking forward to something a little less stressful, lower expectations and all.

-Grant

1 - 20 of 21 Posts