Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first year bowhunting...wondering how everyone rates the importance of a rangefinder? (already got stuff like bonuculars, camo, bow, arrows, etc.)

thanks for the input

Jake

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thanks for the input...I thought so...my last thread was about the longest/shortest kill; everyone that posted had it down to the yard, so I guess that speaks for something too

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Maybee it's just me, but I have never used one before a shot.:D I hunt on the ground, usually walking, and most shots happen way to quick to use one, or I am closing in till the shot occurs and the yardage is changing.:eek: I would think shooting from a fixed position, it would be a definate advantage to shoot in the distances to tree's, trails, water holes, ect. Then when something did come in you would allready know how far it was, so you could just take the shot.:) Just my .01 and 1/2 worth.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've never used one. All my bowhunting is done from treestands, and my personal limit is 30 yards and closer. In my case, I don't see the need for one. However, if you hunt flat terrain from the ground, and 40-45 yard shots are common, get one. Once you get much past 30-35 yards(depending on the bow), range estimation becomes critical.

peashooter

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would not hunt with out one. unless i was using a familiar stand that I knew the distances. I hunt different areas and I like the confidence of knowing the shot distance. The woods can be deceiving. When your guessing. you gambling on a miss. Im not a gambler.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Iam not into gambling either and I use My range finder about every time I shoot plus i use it to Guess I will look at an object and determine what i think the yards are then find if Iam right or wrong with the click of a button this helps build yard estimation for 3D and those shots I feel confident in myself

·
Registered
558 Posts
This will be my first season hunting with one. I will feel better with my shooting after I range different points from my stand. I just need to get over the DEER FEVER.

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,432 Posts
I feel a range finder is a great training tool, whether it is used to train for hunting or 3d. I'm more of a 3D shooter than a hunter but I use mine for practice most of the time. As a result my range-finding ability has gotten to the point where I'm not half bad.

There will be times hunting where you will not have the time or opportunity to use them, but if you put in some time training with them you will be happy with the results.

For me I find that the best method of practice for increasing range-finding ability is to first guess the range, set and make the shot, then check the distance. If I range before making the shot I find my brain gets lazy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts