Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting at an outoor range the other day when a guy brought two kids with him to shoot. We all shot our arrows ( I was a few spots down from them). and when it was all clear we went to get our arrows. One the children about 10 years old runs up to the target to get his arrows. I didnt see the whole thing as my back was turned as I was pulling out my arrows, but he ran up to the arrows and ran right into the back end of one and put a huge gash in his forehead. Blood was everywhere. Lucily for him I am a nurse and carry a medical bag. I got him cleaned up and told the guy he was with who I found out after that it wasnt his dad (Oh NO!!!) that he needed to go into to get looked at.
I dont know the outcome after that, since I left. But it just goes to show that safety really needs to come first when at the range. I am sure he learned his lesson and will not run again!!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Excellent point! Not being a parent, I don't tend to think of such things, although with all of my nephews and nieces (and grand-nephews and grandnieces) I probably should.

People who bring guests to an archery range should follow the same protocol as those who bring guests to a rifle range - brief them on the saftey regulations BEFORE you get to the range. Do this even if you are sure that the person knows about safety (I have yet to meet a responsible firearms owner who'll cut someone off and tell them that they've heard the safety rules too many times before....).

·
Registered
450 Posts
kids at the out door range can be a problem if not taught a few basic behaviors. i've seen the same thing happen this last summer. fortunately it wasn't quite so bad and the little girl just got a good jab from a nock, but it was in her neck. hopefully a lesson well learned, but i don't know. i will say that the dad did try to keep the little one under control, she was just typically impatient..... as kids will be. i was shooting a few lanes away and as dad would get done shooting, she would take off for the arrows immediately, and dad had to continually remind her that someone else was shooting and she has to wait for the other people to get done before going for the arrows. it continued after after the incedent and got to be a bit distracting, so i just quit shooting and let the family have the thier time together. family time is important, but there was a good opportunity to teach the young one a valuable lesson in self control, and they just let it pass.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
small kids at league

We have a very inconsiderate couple that brings their four-year -old daughter to our indoor league. She runs around behind us making noise, brings all her toys and food and spreads it along the bench where we sit taking up half the room.

Recently they brought a laptop to play DVDs of Disney movies. Ever try to shoot with Disney show tunes playing in your head? I had to respond to that.

She used to stand unsupervised behind us as we pulled arrows and has been almost poked in the eye by guys pulling.

They are long-time regulars of the shop so most of us kinda look the other way. But it amazes me how careless and inconsiderate some people can be when it comes to managing their children.

·
Registered
450 Posts
yup, same deal here, the parents are long time members of the club, so you feel like you don't want to stress friendship, but what do you do. there sure seems to be a big difference in how parents control thier kids these days. we have a few other families that come all the time and thier kids are well behaved and know the basic rules that we are talking about. one family's 12 yr.old actually watches the youuger ones and helps to keep them back at the line while dad and mom go get thier arrows, the kicker is that this young man does this while dad goes to the target to get his own arrows and the arrows the young man just shot. dad is a grade school teacher and knows the tricks of his trade! the kids all sit down on the benches we have behind the shooting line when everyone is back to the line and are allowed to get out of thier seat while everyone is getting thier arrows, this goes on with very little propmpting from mom and dad.

·
Registered
829 Posts
children

at our club or range peole or children are not allowed to go to the target unless they have had a basic archery biginers course in safety:rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey!! How Bout Grownups!!???
I was at a league spot shoot last fall and wasn't paying attent much and bent over to retrieve my own arrows from the bottom target when I bent over I did the same thing the kid did. That nock hurts when it hits the bone of your forehead after puncturing the skin. I didn't bleed much but a little.
A LITTLE toward my eyes and I would only have one eye.

·
Registered
829 Posts
target captain

hey do you guys have target captains in the states,that is an individual that looks after safety at the range,blows a whistle to shoot and also when to stop shooting,before you move forward to the targets

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
"But it just goes to show that safety really needs to come first when at the range"

If kids aren't mature enough to follow safety and range etiquette then they shouldn't be there. I have no problems kicking a kid who ignores a rule off a range, regardless of what their parents might say. 9 times out of 10 it never comes down to that though, If you sit a kid down and explain the rules to them, then correct them a few times they are fine. Usually one shout from any adult within hearing range works wonders, and if it doesn't that kid needs to go..

;)

Mind you on this forum when it comes to safety, we have a certain number of yahoos who I am sure would have no trouble watching kids shoot at each other for fun..

:rolleyes: ;)

-CG

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
I had a kid run out in front of me when I was at full draw at Roanoke this year. Mom and dad carrying on a conversation with someone else and "thought" the three year old was standing behind them. This could have gotten ugly.

I'm a firm believer in the bungee leashes if you choose not to watch your children. Thank God that little girl didn't get nailed. We were on the 40 yard bag. Once the release breaks, there's no getting it back!

Just cause it ain't a gun doesn't mean it can't kill you. My kids follow me to the target when shooting at home, they do not go to the target on a 3D range, I too think it to be inconsiderate. That's why we designate spectator areas. Would hate to be in your shoes Oxford. You see the insane way parents act at little league games? People have ended up in fistfights over their kids. Yeesh:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I to have seen people hurt at the range with pulling arrows, adults and kids. The nock end, as we all know, is just as dangerous as the point end!;)

Another thing that is bothersome is archers who use there back pocket as a quiver. It is very bad placement for anyone behind/next to them. As they turn or bend over someone will get poked. I wished they would just go to Wal-mart and buy one of those five dollar tube quivers and stop the insanity!!!:) Our club officers are too weak to make a rule.......as some of them are among the "pocket quiverers".

Moral of the story.....quiver your arrows and be considerate of others at the range.

Bowgal

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It seems to come down to the old dillemma: be a nice guy and say nothing 'cause the parents/hosts are old friends/long time members, or speak up and risk being branded a loud obnoxious troublemaker. Personnally, I have a great deal of (sometimes grudging) respect for the ass____ who speaks up to correct a situation. The one thing that will get noticed but rarely talked about is whether or not the person who consistently speaks up practices what they preach...... if they do then you can bet that even the people who are embarrassed by being corrected will develop a respect for that person's integrity.

Fortunately for me, my club is blessed with such a person; it hasn't always been easy for that guy but if you take a poll today you'll find overwhelming support for his adherance to safety even among the people who a short time ago would grumble at the mention of his name (and no, we don't use 'Target Captains' or 'Rangemasters') . This guy has literally saved our club because of his insistence on saftey - even at the cost of friendship.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have 3 kids that shoot Archery alot and i can be proud of tham because thay can tell you all the rules of the ARCHERY game inhouse or on the 3D and if you do something that is not right thay will tell you all about it and it works the youngst is 5,7,9

runawaysXs

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just the title of this thread gave me the shivers up & down my back.
Put a leash on them littleones, Please.
Shockcollar, invisible fence at the line, something.
(can you tell I'm not a parent?)

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
I am a proud parent and still believe in leashes and invisible fence. Safety is of the utmost importance. I'd rather be accused of being a jerk than let safety go. It only takes one instance to lose your insurance carrier over something stupid. Let alone have to walk around with an accident on your conscience. I've got a soft place in my heart for all kids. It's usually not the kids; kids will be kids. It's usually the stupid parents that can't control their kids.

Things went downhill when the "time out" chair was invented. My Dad thought that time out should be recovering from leather belt wounds. I appreciate it now though and deserved every licking I ever took.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
leather belt wounds

There’s and old cowboy saying, “If you try to teach an animal a lesson in meanness, don’t be surprised if he learns that lesson.”

Monte, I’m surprise a religious man like you would endorse child abuse.
:rolleyes:

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
I'm a proud father that has three kids..4, 7, and 8 and they all know the rules now. Besides the normal safety rules about shooting we have the following.

Rule 1- Archery is a quiet sport. The only talking allowed is at the target butt when removing arrows or by the coach. Period. Failure to follow this rule results in being sent inside until everyone else is done. No arguing or a whipping will result.

Rule 2- Remove arrows one person at a time. The order of removal is decided by dad. Failure to heed and you're gone.

I relax the talking rule when we designated a FUN night and we laugh and play shooting at balloons and whatever else is a fun target. I have one of these as the mood strikes me...usually about every other night :D

My son, 7, will be going to his first 3d shoot in a week. Rule 1 and 2 of our family will be in FULL force.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It seems by some of the posts in here that some of you would just as soon leave this sport to the adults. I am a proud father of two kids, 5 and 10. They both shoot and I try to take them with me to as many shoots as I can. They are kids and will act like kids, until they have a bow in their hand, then it is all business. They know that an arrow can and will kill you. After we shoot they go to the target with me to pull arrows. I have taught them to stay back or you could lose an eye. Sometimes I have to remind them, they're young, sometimes they forget. Do you kind of get what I'm saying here? It is MY responsibility as the adult and their dad to keep them safe and in line when we are shooting.

If you have kids that are acting up at your range or being unsafe you should not hesitate to let their parents know. I for one would be very gratefull to you, if you see one of my kids doing something unsafe or being unrulely, that you tell me about it asap. I would correct the problem immediately, and I'm sure most other parents would do the same. Now I don't want to come off as being abusive or to heavy handed because I'm not. Archery is a great family activity and it is supposed to be fun. My family and I shoot archery because we enjoy it very much and have alot of fun. Just remember that the kids are the future of our sport. Don't ban them just because they might be a bit loud and obnoxious at times.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Doug & James:

Good commentary! You are absolutely right about the kids being the future of our sport. Ban the kids from the range? Perish the thought! Worst case profile would be to (sadly) have to ban the Parents from the range if they fail to teach their kids proper safety. While I have no kids of my own, and have been doing most of my archery practice at my home range; I want to tell you that, when I go to my rifle and pistol club to target shoot, it really makes my day to see some 10 year old kid on the line holding their own with the adults (and comporting themselves with a very professional attitude). I am not alone in feeling this thrill . . . at my trap and skeet club there is nothing but support (and not a little bit of amazement) for these kids. I have seen a 10 year old lad at the Poulsbo Trap and Skeet Club (using a semiauto 12 gage) out-shoot many of the adults at the 16 yard line (American Trap).

More power to your kids in their target shooting and may they out-shoot many of their adult peers..... :cool:

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
I am all for kids coming to the range or league and learning how to become archers. Don't get me wrong. I just have a problem with turning League Night into a day care center with very young children that have no clue about what is going on and want to run around and play with their dolls.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts