Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using climbers for maybe 30 years. Only started using the 'belt loop' type a dozen years ago after reading about INJURIES in the state of Georgia. In the last year I"ve come to realize the belt is possibly just a 'slow death' solution,,,and the full body harness are THE WAY TO GO. So, someone [I think on this sight?] offered a SUMMIT harness shipped for $15. I know they are 'free' when you buy a stand, but I wanted to get one and learn how to use it before the archery opener, and was not going to buy another stand just yet. I always thought the body harness would be a PAIN to use,,,WRONG, Guys,,it's easy,,and you will LOVE IT as you get to know it. These safety harnesses are GREAT, and your family has a MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF KEEPING YOU AROUND if you will USE IT.
I even use the rope attachment/harness when climing. It does NOT take but another minute or so, and it is EASY. I am SO GLAD I got one, because although ground blinds are nice, sometimes you just want to be up HIGH in a tree stand! I plan to use blinds more when it gets to be cooler weather, but for now..........
I'M SO GLAD I GOT THE BODY HARNESS! GET IT,,,USE IT,,YOU WILL FIND A NEW LOVE IN USING YOUR TREE CLIMBER.
Hollering intended. It's that important.
I"m tickled to find out these things are SUPER, and NOT AWKWARD to use.
DO IT>:boink:
BTW,,,here's my Saturday Georgia opener doe,,,Switchback earns it's keep!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I agree 100%. My first couple of seasons I didn't use one at all. I just kept thinking about the what ifs...It only takes one fall. I had a couple of close calls with my climber slipping...I started using a belt style harness and just got a full body harness last season. I won't climb without it. It does not hinder me at all and gives me a lot more security moving around in my climber.

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,490 Posts
Amen

The 3D range I shoot at is groomed for wheelchairs, one of the regular shooters fell and now is confined to a wheelchair. Also had a cousin who fell from a tree while bowhunting some years back. He is also confined to a wheelchair. It's just not worth the risk.

Do you know what is synominis with free climbing.....free falling:confused:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
YES,,,and the 'pig tail'...

or black rope that goes around the tree is great for hanging onto while doing 'stuff' like hand assist of getting boot toes into bottom climber straps,,,,which is sometimes a PAIN to do and can lead to side flip of stand.
I've been concerned about tree climber safety for some time now,,and am REALLY RELIEVED to find out how NICE the Summit Harness is. GREAT thing to finally find out!
Back to the trees, men!
Alan in GA [I'm 55]

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Congrats on the doe Alan. Our season open on October 15th and I'm getting pretty excited. The ole freezer is empty of deer meat and it's time to replentish!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
The Vest Are Even Better!!!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try one of those, too!

18javelin said:
The Vest Are Even Better!!!
and I'll buy it and GIVE my Summit to someone who is still 'not' getting it.
Alan in Ga

1 - 7 of 7 Posts