Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tag soup was the soup "du jour" for 2016 as I had set a minimum of 4.5 year olds or better and never got on them. Needless to say I have been hitting it hard this season here in Missouri. I was going to miss the prime time of this year's rut traveling to south Texas to watch our oldest son's last game of his college football career. Earlier in the season I had some younger bucks on camera but no mature bucks although there was sign of them in the vicinity from massive rub lines. I had a friend that wanted me to get one made into some hot stick jerky from a western MO processor so on the morning of 11/5 before church, I got in the stand hoping a decent buck would show up, as we were leaving for south TX the next morning. At 8:30 a 3 1/2 yr old 11 point obliged me, giving me a 7 yd chip shot. He expired in sight 40 yds from the stand. Happy to use one of my tags, I really din't spend too much time wondering about what I was missing that week. So I was back in the stand the weekend of Nov 18 looking for the big guys. I had a camera on a mock scrape and still no pics of what just had to be some mature bucks in the area. Thanksgiving morning, our oldest son and I were in stands about 40 yds apart and he had what he thought to be at least a heavy, tall, wide 10 point walk out in front of him before light following a drag rag scent trail. We never saw him again that morning. I set a camera on video mode at the edge of the timber for no particular reason other than it was a location where several trails crossed and near where we entered the "bedding area" we were set up in and where we guessed he may have followed us in on Thanksgiving. I'd check the cam every day I hunted and was getting videos of a spike and does (and me pulling the card or setting the camera). I was getting tired of seeing my goofy mug!! I hunted the morning of 12/5 before work and "half heartedly" checked the camera. There was one video on there and I almost left the SD Card in but I pulled it and brought it home, popped it in the computer and this is what was on there from 12:05 am earlier that morning....
This is the biggest buck I have ever gotten on camera.... and what my son believes walked between he and I on Thanksgiving. In the spirit of Star Wars his tag is R2G2 due to his second point coming off his right G2. Needles to say, I have been out as much as possible including 3-4 hour sits when the temps were single digits above/below zero and wind chills -25 to -30 just before New Years. On 12/30 at 8:20 am I had a 150+ class 10 point at 45 yds broadside in front of me in an unexpected place. I drew, contorted my stance to get around a branch, tried to find the sight, then noticed other twigs potentially blocking my shot and I.......let off. Our younger son back from college over the break went out with me and we set up the decoy in that spot and I got in the stand and shot 4 arrows at it. First hit but low right behind front leg, second just over the back, third BINGO heart shot, and fourth deflected off a twig and went under belly. Conclusion: glad I didn't shoot but happy I could make it with time and anticipation.
So, he we are. 5 days left in MO bow season. I don't believe in curses but do believe in the power of good wishes!! I'll keep you all posted and hope I don't step on myself like the Chiefs did last weekend:confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts