Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's -14 celsius here which i guess is 6.8 F. It's supposed to warm up this afternoon to a balmy -6 celsius or 21 F. So I was thinking of heading out midday and trying to hunt the warmest part of the day and see if the deer are moving then. Any find the deer move more during the day when it's good and cold?

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive noticed if there is no hunting pressure they will,otherwise we have been seeing deer the last 45 minutes of day light,we have been seeing them lay on the sun filled slopes=southside of hills
Not a pile of hunting pressure anymore. The muzzleloader season closed 2 weeks ago and no one else hunts this property. My trailcams showed that deer were moving early afternoon on nice sunny days. I think they bed up on top of the ridge when the sun comes out. To bad the wind is kinda **** today.

·
Registered
662 Posts
interesting... I just read an article in Deer and Deer hunting magazine about late season tactics... i tried to find online for reference but it isn't available yet or something... but it was saying that when the temps drop below or near 20 in the northern states the deer will try to hunker down on sunny slopes and covers to keep warm during coldest part of day and move in the afternoon when it warms up a bit...

I shot my last two deer at midday during a cold snap here... buck at 3 something and doe at 11:30... I like to sleep in:wink:

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
interesting... I just read an article in Deer and Deer hunting magazine about late season tactics... i tried to find online for reference but it isn't available yet or something... but it was saying that when the temps drop below or near 20 in the northern states the deer will try to hunker down on sunny slopes and covers to keep warm during coldest part of day and move in the afternoon when it warms up a bit...

I shot my last two deer at midday during a cold snap here... buck at 3 something and doe at 11:30... I like to sleep in:wink:

This has been my experience living up north. I still see movement in the evening too. Mornings don't see much.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Find some timber that is open a bit and receives some direct sunlight during the daytime hours. They will bed down so the sun warms them up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I find this to be true on our property too. There will be some deer out in the morning, but starting around eleven or noon we start seeing a lot of movement.

I shot my buck at 3:30 in the afternoon, after watching deer for over two hours. I got out at one and already had deer in my field.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

I read the same article. But it gave so many exceptions I am not sure how tight the advice is. I've seen a good deal of variance in movement in the cold. Still; I bet on those last few minutes of daylight.

Oh, January of last year saw 2 nice bucks bedded on south slope of a plowed field -- guess the dark dirt picked up the heat from the sun. so not only were the deer out of the north wind, but caught some rays and got radiant heat from the dirt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts