Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across Gorilla glue sticks during a search and wondered if anyone had used them for glueing points/inserts? Ad says they are both hot- and low-temp melt, have an extended set time (advertised as about 45 seconds longer than typical melt glues), and 5x stronger bond [again against typical melt glues].

The incidental learning part: Wondering what makes an arrow-specific glue, especially melted glue, better than any other melt glues, and how that may compare to the Gorilla glue sticks [again, if anyone has used them].

Thanks

·
Registered
8,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Up for the night crowd.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
I'd use them. Gorilla makes really good stuff. I use hot melt for inserts and have had zero trouble. Never had one pull out or come loose even with having to pull an arrow out of a stump and they're easy to change out if you know how. I didn't know Gorilla made glue sticks, I'll keep an eye out for them.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
The reason that hot melt works better than epoxy is that it retains a little give. Epoxy gets brittle and can't stand the shock when an arrow hits the target. It cracks & fails. Many years ago, I went to my first indoor archery league with points glued in with 24 hour epoxy. I knew that 5 minute epoxy was brittle, so I used the 24 hour stuff thinking it would hold up better. It didn't. I lost two points that night. Fortunately, my new friends at the club told me about hot melt. I couldn't believe that it would be better than epoxy. But I tried it and haven't lost a point since then. That's been more than 10 years.

I'm not sure that the higher strength of the Gorilla hot melt is an advantage. The cheap Wally World sticks that I use work good. If the higher strength comes with an increase in brittleness, it would be a disadvantage.

However, the extra working time is a handy feature.

Allen

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts
Came across Gorilla glue sticks during a search and wondered if anyone had used them for glueing points/inserts? Ad says they are both hot- and low-temp melt, have an extended set time (advertised as about 45 seconds longer than typical melt glues), and 5x stronger bond [again against typical melt glues].

The incidental learning part: Wondering what makes an arrow-specific glue, especially melted glue, better than any other melt glues, and how that may compare to the Gorilla glue sticks [again, if anyone has used them].

Thanks
For many years myself and possibly everyone I know have been using the glue sticks you buy at your local crafts store and many other places. I have done research on stick moderately low temp glue sticks and there is a wide range of product characteristics. In the end the bag of glue sticks that I bought 5+ years ago from Sears had "extra strength" on bag label has held inserts in many hundreds of shafts with no issue. These types of glues do not get so hard that they become brittle. This makes it good for withstanding continually impacts and flexing. Hard glues can break loose because of impacts adn vibration.

I haven't tried Gorilla Glue Sticks but I expect it's plenty good enough for holding inserts in place. I'll NEVER buy glue sticks specifically marketed for arrows! A bag of sticks for $6 will last many dozens of arrows while a single stick of glue for $6 is ridiculous.

·
arrowspitter
1,370 Posts
Same here have used the bag of glue sticks from wal mart I think they were $3 10 or so years ago and have glued in several inserts and points and never had an issue. I have never lost a point or insert.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts