Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without going into great detail, part of my aiming tactile is a camera tripod with a horizontal pointer I touch the back of my hand to to orientate myself to the target. Recently I've come across several references in visually impaired archery to using a recurve sight as this contact point for the hand. Specifically touching the back of the hand to the pin and being able to use the sight's adjustment clicks to fine tune the orientation/aim.

I've had my hands on a sight I got in a compound bow purchase, but I've never seen a recurve sight... What's the difference? I assume there is a difference because everywhere I've seen this reference specifically talks about recurve sights.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Recurve sights traditionally have a coarser elevation adjustment and the vertical bar is usually longer. Both of these are meant to accommodate the larger adjustment range you typically have to do when shooting different yardages. Some sights like the Shibuya use the same elevation setup for both the compound and recurve versions, though, probably to allow reusing those components for two different sights. So the recurve and compound Shibuya sights typically only use different sight blocks for the CPX 520 model anyway (I interchange components on my Shibuyas all the time)...

Also, the typical recurve sight block takes an 8-32 thread, which is the thread usually used for popular recurve pins. Compound sight blocks usually take 10-32 to accommodate scopes; not a lot of straight pin options available in that thread, tho.

So those are the differences that I'm aware of - maybe it's the availability of more 8-32 pins and the wider adjustment range that's preferred for visually impaired shooting? That's my guess anyway...

lee.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts