Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I shoot 3 arrows and then go pull them out then come back and shoot again. I repeat this process over and over. What I am seeing is each round I shoot my arrows group good. but from round to round my arrow shot placements differ. for example I shoot 3 arrows and they hit the bullseye then I go pull them out and shoot again and they group high. This happens at 20 yards. If I shoot less than 20 yards then it doesn't happen. Does any one know why this happens?

Thank you

·
Registered
75 Posts
For me I put a blank piece of paper over my target and aimed dead center on my own.
For me it was a case of target panic. It was hard for me to raise up to the dot almost like a force field lol. Then when it did hit the center dot I'd tank the release... I've no clue why or how it came about but this is what fixed it for me....well I'm still working on it or course.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Hello

I shoot 3 arrows and then go pull them out then come back and shoot again. I repeat this process over and over. What I am seeing is each round I shoot my arrows group good. but from round to round my arrow shot placements differ. for example I shoot 3 arrows and they hit the bullseye then I go pull them out and shoot again and they group high. This happens at 20 yards. If I shoot less than 20 yards then it doesn't happen. Does any one know why this happens?

Thank you
I'd bet you are changing something in your anchor point... Not enough to throw it wild... but different enough to move your groups around the target face...

·
Registered
21,352 Posts
Usually when I see people struggle with this I find that their anchor points are inconsistent. This can cause you to see through your peep sight differently and will move your groups all over the place. It can also cause your face pressure to change which will also cause your groups to move quite a bit. Could also be caused by a cam timing issue that inconsistent anchor will exacerbate if you're pulling harder or softer into the wall. Creep tuning can help that problem. Do a search here for "creep tuning" and you'll see what it's about.

Reactions: CASHMONEY

·
Shootin and Cussin
25,964 Posts
Sounds like a form issue to me.

Reactions: CASHMONEY

·
Premium Member
7,644 Posts
Several years ago I went to an archery coach, with accuracy issues. He said he wanted to watch me shoot 3 arrows, so I did, not a good group. He stated that I had a different anchor points for each arrow. He installed a kisser button and he had me shoot 3 arrows, tight group. It helped me dramatically, he also said that eventually I probably wouldn't need the kisser, haven't had one in many years. Just my experience and charged me like $10 bucks, he wouldn't take a $20, good guy.

·
(aka lug nut)
53,171 Posts
Several years ago I went to an archery coach, with accuracy issues. He said he wanted to watch me shoot 3 arrows, so I did, not a good group. He stated that I had a different anchor points for each arrow. He installed a kisser button and he had me shoot 3 arrows, tight group. It helped me dramatically, he also said that eventually I probably wouldn't need the kisser, haven't had one in many years. Just my experience and charged me like $10 bucks, he wouldn't take a $20, good guy.

Single d-loop knot, installed to hit the corner of mouth between upper and lower lip.
Looks like this.

BUT, the string don't touch his nose. Don't need to. BUT, how you gonna control chin too high or chin too low?
Look thru the peep and the single knot d-loop DIY kisser button, will keep your anchor (nock touching face) dead consistent.

If you tilt your head AIMING eyeball LOWER than usual, you will miss right and low.
If you tilt your head AIMING eyeball HIGHER than usual, you will miss LEFT and HIGH.
If you tilt your CHIN lower than usual, you will miss low.
If you tilt your CHIN higher than usual, you will miss high.

LEVEL out your eyeballs (both of them).
Use a kisser button that touches corner of mouth, between upper and lower lip.
Look thru the peep.

Inconsistency will go away...IF you also keep both shoulders level.
If you sometimes shoot SKY HIGH release shoulder, you will miss low.
If you sometimes shoot SKY HIGH bow shoulder, you might miss low or high.
If you sometimes shoot SUPER SKY HIGH release elbow, you will miss low.
If you sometimes shoot SUPER LOW release elbow, below the release wrist, you will miss HIGH.

So, the DIY kisser button will solve MINOR form issues, will not fix MASSIVE form issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lots of good information here. I do a lot of practice with one arrow at a time, even if I'm practicing at longer range for me (60 to 90 yards). I like the thought of having to focus on attempting to shoot one perfect arrow at a time. This approach also helps me to put more walking in and hopefully have a few more steps in.

·
Back Yard Champion
33,947 Posts
Yep, lots of good information.........

I still shoot 1 and 2 shot practice drills.....See the same sight picture and let the shot happen. Don't force anything.
Firm believer in First Shot Accuracy.....
Finished up today - 2 shots and pull. Had 8 arrows in tube arrow holder. 2 different arrows each time for 4 sets. Just about wrecked every first arrow. Got some bruised vanes, but they be good for next practice session.

·
Back Yard Champion
33,947 Posts
You'd have search a lot, but the Great Randy Ulmer penned First Shot Accuracy

Reactions: solohunter

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, I'll be adding one tomorrow lol
I've been a little off lately

·
Registered
25 Posts
Second to the kisser button or bowmar nose button. Sounds like an anchor issue or it could also be that your peep is too big. If your sight housing is floating around the inside of your peep, you will hit all over the target and fight consistency.

·
Premium Member
7,644 Posts
Wow, I'll be adding one tomorrow lol
I've been a little off lately
Hope it helps, blind baling is another thing I do to help with shooting. !0 ft back from target draw and close my eyes and really focus on just squeezing the shot off, sometimes I focus on a muscle group, for me, it is amazing how it feels to just go blank and squeeze it off I use it from time to time, especially if I find myself rushing, like trying to get a practice session, or have other things on my mind that affects my concentration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts