Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ladies and gentlemen. I’m new here and new to archery. So hello! I usually work on my own stuff (guns, electronics, computers, cars, etc) but I’m just not there yet with bows. A few weeks ago I picked up a PSE Response from No Limits in Denver. Awesome guys. They set it all up for me and everything is great.

I wanted to increase the draw weight to start practice more at what I will likely hunt with, but I read that it can throw other stuff off and you might need a total retune. I have not the slightest where to begin tuning a bow myself so I thought I would crank the bolts and shoot up close in the basement to see if anything has gone awry.

After four turns of the bolts (No Limits sent me home a few pounds shy of 60lbs) I can feel the increased weight but nothing crazy. I can still draw comfortably and flat. My groups seem about the same save for being a bit flatter and a tad high at 20 yards but I can’t shake the thought in the back of my head that something may be goofed. Draw length seems the same (28”), peep seems the same, rest is a drop away Hamskea and it seems to be raising and dropping fine. Arrows are Gold Tip Hunter 300 spine, which they said will work with any weight my bow can pull.

I guess my question is, is this a common draw weight adjustment scenario or am I just too dense to notice my bow is out of line? I’m not against taking it in and leaning on the No Limits dudes but like I said, I’m trying to become self sufficient in working on this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3%er
3,635 Posts
You tube is your friend. If you want to see any changes, then measure your axle to axle, and your brace height,then turn back down to where you had the bolts and measure again. Should not be much change. Is this a 70 max bow? Then he backed off 4 turns to get you near 60? Make sure you turn each bolt exactly the same. A silver sharpie mark on the outer ring of where you turn the bolt will help. If you think you are off, then max tighten the bolts and back down evenly from there. To tune a bow you will need a press and a draw board. There is a doityourself section on AT that shows howto make drawboards and presses. Lots of other gadgets also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup 70lb max bow. There’s still about 1/4” of threads on the tiller bolts so I’m actually not sure how far I am from max poundage. Don’t have a scale. I actually did do the silver sharpie trick to be sure I made equal turns on each bolt. I will measure the ATA and brace height differences between the two weights when I get home

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Changing the peak weight of the bow affects the tune in general, but not always. For some bow/arrow combinations, scarcely any adjustments need to be made even going from fully wound down to fully wound in. My Supra Max for example needs no retuning at all going from full low to full high; just adding one mod setting on the draw length and that's it. I shoot GT ultralight 400's/85g points indoors and ACE 470's/100g points outdoors, but the poundage range on my SM is only 30-40, so I'm way the heck overspined to begin with.

Other combos, though, you do have to make changes when increasing or decreasing the peak weight.

It's just trial and error and you have to see what happens when you change the DW.

So, in your case, if you're still grouping as good if not better, then you're probably ok. Personally, I'd send a few bareshafts downrange and see what I got, but I do like to tune my rigs when I make a change...

lee.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
It depends on wether you were shooting weak or stiff arrows. If you were shooting stiff arrows you will be fine, If you were shooting weak arrows your tune will suffer, but in that case you can go to a lighter point (25 grains of point weight= 5 pounds of draw weight, or cut your arrows off (1 inch +5 pounds of draw weight).
I recommend you scrape the vanes off 1 of your arrows and shoot the bare shaft at 10 yards, and if it hits close to a fletched arrow more back to 20 yards and repeat. This will let you know if you are tuned! Tuned means that a bare shaft and fletched shaft will hit the exact place and be parallel.
You can post all your bow, shaft, and point weight specs and someone will check it on a computer program to keep you from pulling your hair out!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends on wether you were shooting weak or stiff arrows. If you were shooting stiff arrows you will be fine, If you were shooting weak arrows your tune will suffer, but in that case you can go to a lighter point (25 grains of point weight= 5 pounds of draw weight, or cut your arrows off (1 inch +5 pounds of draw weight).
I recommend you scrape the vanes off 1 of your arrows and shoot the bare shaft at 10 yards, and if it hits close to a fletched arrow more back to 20 yards and repeat. This will let you know if you are tuned! Tuned means that a bare shaft and fletched shaft will hit the exact place and be parallel.
You can post all your bow, shaft, and point weight specs and someone will check it on a computer program to keep you from pulling your hair out!
This is awesome. Didn’t know about bare shaft tuning. Gold Tip has a bare shaft tuning page that suggests fixes to divergent groupings. I’ll give this a go, thank you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bare shafts are touching fletched arrows at 15 yards, so I’m just going to assume I’m in good shape. I think I made out okay because I’m shooting arrows on the stiff side. Next time I’m in the shop I’ll have them give it a once over but I don’t think I need to make a special trip based on how it’s shooting right now. Thanks for your help guys!

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,365 Posts
Your main change is going to be your sight settings.
And don't forget about your string stop. If the stop was set up with a gap at shy of 60, then the string will be mashed into the stop most likely with four turns on each limb.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And don't forget about your string stop. If the stop was set up with a gap at shy of 60, then the string will be mashed into the stop most likely with four turns on each limb.
It’s funny you say that because my string stop wasn’t set right in the first place. The set screw was loose so it was just flopping around. I shored that up during this whole process. I put a business card gap between it and the string and the bow is much quieter lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts