Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
Right now I shoot a wrist release but might get a thumb in the future. I have been told that some thumb releases make you need to up your draw length by 0.5-1”

My arrows are 26” and the field points and broadheads just clears the arrow shelf (sticks out 0.25” maybe)

I am buying new arrows and debating having them cut to 26.5” rather than my standard 26”

In the event that I do not get a thumb release will having 0.5” of extra arrow sticking out past the riser shelf do anything?

Was just thinking this may be a way to avoid buying new arrows if my draw length gets changed.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
You shouldn’t have to change your draw length switching between releases. MAYBE D loop length but not really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
If your DL changes 0.5-1in just by switching between a wrist and hand-held release your wrist release set up is probably wrong to begi with; very rare you would have to change DL, at most a d-loop change should get you back to your anchor point.

As for the arrows being 1/2" longer, unless you are shooting recurve at or near Olympic level, you probably won't notice a difference; doubtful you would even see a sight tape change well beyond 50yds.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info, I’ll just cut my new arrows the same then. I might have been misinformed about draw length increasing with a thumb release.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Draw length is draw length, it is a finite number that doesn’t change. If you are 26.5” then you are 26.5”. Now how that feels to you when you change from a wrist index release to a hand held release is a totally different thing. I felt short when I switched but it’s just that, a feeling. My anchor point changed and I had to change a few things with my setup but nothing major.

·
Back Yard Champion
30,756 Posts
Good info, I’ll just cut my new arrows the same then. I might have been misinformed about draw length increasing with a thumb release.
I'd say you were misinformed. D-loop length (shorter or longer) should take care of your concern.

Of hand held releases hookup length can give effect. Again, d-loop length (shorter or longer) should take care of your concern. Still, I've a hand held release that I had to go with 1/2" shorter draw mods and different d-loop length to keep my favored anchor. And really, it the draw still feels too long......

Stan Shootoff in foreground. There is right at .400" difference in hookup length compared to the Tru-Fire Sear.

release length.jpg

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
I'd say you were misinformed. D-loop length (shorter or longer) should take care of your concern.

Of hand held releases hookup length can give effect. Again, d-loop length (shorter or longer) should take care of your concern. Still, I've a hand held release that I had to go with 1/2" shorter draw mods and different d-loop length to keep my favored anchor. And really, it the draw still feels too long......

Stan Shootoff in foreground. There is right at .400" difference in hookup length compared to the Tru-Fire Sear.

View attachment 7436662

Guessing in this instance when you went shorter on DL you also went a bit longer in the loop?No other reason for asking than curiosity and context.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Good info, I’ll just cut my new arrows the same then. I might have been misinformed about
draw length increasing with a thumb release.

Well, yes and no... Your anchor point might change, and as before a loop adjustment should take care of it, but your DL isn't really determined by your anchor point, but rather other factors...

Suppose for example with the wrist release you get your set up perfect, nose touching string and string right at corner of mouth, then you switch to a thumb and lengthen your DL 1/2"; Yes you may get your anchor back to the right place, but in doing it this way you have moved the string back, meaning you've increased pressure of the string to nose and moved the corner of mouth reference to somewhere where it will probably be harder to be consistent. Both having adverse effects on accuracy.

Changing the DL mods would also require moving your peep [not a peep user myself, but I would guess it would need to be moved higher].

Too many unknown factors here to be definitive; it's possible your wrist set up is wrong to begin with, and going to a thumb forces fixing the set up; it's possible you made the DL too short to begin with to accommodate the long wrist strap, but this all depends on your current fit.

Ideally, if you go with the thumb, shoot it a few sessions first before making any changes, let your shot results dictate if and how much you may need to change. You may actually find the thumb tightens up your anchor/form and you shoot better; but you won't know if you make changes before testing where you are at with the new release, and give that test enough sessions to be used to/comfortable with the change... Unfair if you shoot two arrows and decide "yup it's bogus."

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I’m likely not going to get a thumb release anytime soon but I figured might as well think about it if I’m going to be spending $200 on arrows.

Got the arrows cut slightly longer since I realized that going from a powerflight to an axis the overal arrow length would be slightly less if I kept my carbon to carbon the same since I’m loosing the additional length of the insert sticking out (minimal) and also the nock length decreases.

my carbon to throat length will be roughly the same though

·
Back Yard Champion
30,756 Posts
Guessing in this instance when you went shorter on DL you also went a bit longer in the loop?No other reason for asking than curiosity and context.
Not longer. Just a bit shorter and not short enough. The Sear just sits in the hand just so and gives of being longer at anchor. Call it angle or geometry of the handle.
Like I can live with a 1/8" short, but a 1/8" long I can't get along with.......I have to be that extra cautious at full draw. I don't like to work....I can, but dang I like being lazy........

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
There is 0 reason to cut your arrows. The weight savings isn't enough to give you any noticeable difference in velocity.

·
Registered
51,715 Posts
If your draw length is 26.5 and your arrows are 26 they are already 1/2"to 1" too short.
As far as switching releases affecting draw length no. I switch back and forth all the time nothing changes.

·
Registered
860 Posts
If your draw length is 26.5 and your arrows are 26 they are already 1/2"to 1" too short.
As far as switching releases affecting draw length no. I switch back and forth all the time nothing changes.
This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen you post and I have been reading your stupid posts for years…. Your foolishness never ceases to amaze me…..until it does…….yet again….

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
My draw length is 29 inches. I am cutting my target arrows at 27 inches CTC. They are approximately 1/2" past the end of my blade on my arrow rest.

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen you post and I have been reading your stupid posts for years…. Your foolishness never ceases to amaze me…..until it does…….yet again….

You must not be shooting very long. It's not uncommon to have arrows at your draw length or longer.

·
Registered
860 Posts
You must not be shooting very long. It's not uncommon to have arrows at your draw length or longer.
It’s also not uncommon to have arrows shorter than measured draw length. Unless one has a severe aversion to shooting off the top or rear of the shelf the arrow length should be dictated by getting the best dynamic spine reaction when the shot breaks. Draw length is measured to the front of the riser, almost everybody shoots a rear mounted rest; or over draw as it was called back in the day, so shooting an arrow sometimes 1.750” shorter than measured draw length is possible. But just telling somebody their arrows are too short because they are not equal to or greater than said draw length is total BS. Trust me I’ve been doing this a while….

·
(aka lug nut)
50,502 Posts
Hey
Right now I shoot a wrist release but might get a thumb in the future. I have been told that some thumb releases make you need to up your draw length by 0.5-1”

My arrows are 26” and the field points and broadheads just clears the arrow shelf (sticks out 0.25” maybe)

I am buying new arrows and debating having them cut to 26.5” rather than my standard 26”

In the event that I do not get a thumb release will having 0.5” of extra arrow sticking out past the riser shelf do anything?

Was just thinking this may be a way to avoid buying new arrows if my draw length gets changed.

Thanks
You need to talk to QUALIFIED archery coaches, when getting advice.
Talk to other folks, who actually SHOOT a thumb release.

So, when you talk to folks who actually SHOOT archery,
then, you will realize that the RELEASE does not change your draw length.

So, switching from a wrist strap release to a thumb release, your draw length did not change,
and since your "draw" did not change switching to a thumb release,
your arrow length requirements also did not change.

So, NOPE....using a thumb release, does not require LONGER arrows.
So, buy a USED thumb release, and use your CURRENT arrows.

Post up a how's my form photo, with your newly purchased USED thumb release.

So, HEAD exactly the same size, with the wrist strap release, and the thumb release. HEAD did not grow 1-inch longer.
CHECK.

So, NOSE exactly the same size, with the wrist strap release, and the thumb release. NOSE did not grow 1-inch longer.

CHECK-CHECK.

String is touching tip of his nose, with the wrist strap release and with the thumb release. STRING does not move forwards, STRING does not move backwards, when switching from wrist strap release to thumb release. Since the string touches his nose, in both pictures, whether using the WRIST strap release or the THUMB release, this means Dudley's ARM (Bow arm) did not GROW 1-inch longer, when using the thumb release.

CHECK-CHECK-CHECK.

So, switching from a black wrist strap release, to a green THUMB release, NONE of his body parts GREW by 1-inch longer, so since your body parts do not CHANGE SIZE, when switching to a GREEN thumb release, then no need to GROW your arrows 1-inch LONGER, but ONLY WHEN using a GREEN thumb release.

I don't know what will happen, if you use a RED thumb release.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know what will happen, if you use a RED thumb release.
If my release has a bit of green and red in it should I just adjust it by 0.5” rather than 1”?

Kidding of course, thanks for the photos in the post.
I have ordered arrows the same length as before.

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
The correct adjustment for that release is 3/16th of an inch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts