Archery Talk Forum banner

Increasing limb weight on recurve bow

2558 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Sdtommy
Hello,

I'm still a rookie and was hoping I could get some advice. I'm 5'6", 165lbs, and just getting started. Have a Samick Sage with 25lb limbs. I know, I know... Very low weight, by wanted to learn properly while not picking up too many bad habits with a bow that was too heavy. My draw is about 27 inches and I'm getting more consistent in shooting. I'd definitely like to move up and buy some new limbs, but am unsure how high I should go.

I read that increasing 5lb increments is good, but most likely that would be too expensive for me. Is it ok to jump into the deep end and purchase 40lb limbs? I'm only interested in target shooting, and was not sure if this would be too big a switch or if it'd be ok. If you guys have any advise or experience in how you moved up can you let me know? Thanks.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9,007 Posts
You need to shoot the different weight limbs and then decide. If you could find a cheap recurve with the pound limbs that you want to use and shoot it for a while then you could decide if you wanted to buy that pound limbs for your better bow.

Unless you are planning on hunting with the bow, 25 lb limbs are probably pretty good for targets. If you are going to hunt check the state regulations and make sure you get at least the minimum weight allowed for hunting.

· (aka lug nut)
54,875 Posts
Hello,

I'm still a rookie and was hoping I could get some advice. I'm 5'6", 165lbs, and just getting started. Have a Samick Sage with 25lb limbs. I know, I know... Very low weight, by wanted to learn properly while not picking up too many bad habits with a bow that was too heavy. My draw is about 27 inches and I'm getting more consistent in shooting. I'd definitely like to move up and buy some new limbs, but am unsure how high I should go.

I read that increasing 5lb increments is good, but most likely that would be too expensive for me. Is it ok to jump into the deep end and purchase 40lb limbs? I'm only interested in target shooting, and was not sure if this would be too big a switch or if it'd be ok. If you guys have any advise or experience in how you moved up can you let me know? Thanks.
Find some 60 lb dumbbells. IF and ONLY IF you can do bent over rows, with 60 lb dumb bells in EACH hand, and do 15 reps for ONE SET, and take 2 minutes rest, and do another 15 rep set of 60 lb dumb bell bent over rows, again...then, see if you can do this. I am 6'2" and weigh 280 lbs and shoot 40 lbs. BUT, for me to shoot 40 lb limbs accurately, with my recurve bow, I train with a seated rowing machine (simulates pulling a bowstring) and have 120 lbs on the machine. I pull on the handles with both arms, so I have enough RESERVE strength to control the bowstring on my 40# recurve bow. So, give that a whirl. LIFT 120 lbs of dumb bells, 60 lbs per arm, and put your LEFT knee on a chair, and get your back horizontal, parallel to the floor, and with your RIGHT arm, LIFT the 60 lb dumb bell 15 times. Then, switch sides. PUT your RIGHT knee on a chair, bend over with your back horizontal, and lift that 60 lb DUMB BELLE with your LEFT arm. It's ONLY 60 lbs for ONE dumb bell. THat's less than HALF your body weight. SHould be no trouble for you, since you are about HALF my size. Sooo, you think you can go STRAIGHT from a 25 lb recurve bow to a 40 lb recurve bow? SERIOUSLY bad idea. Goto an archery range, and find someone with a 40 lb RECURVE bow. I don't think you will make it even 3/4 of the WAY to full draw, one time.

· Registered
2,151 Posts
You can get a slight increase in poundage by adding a few twists to the string this puts more load on the limbs and it hits peak weight quicker in the draw. I don't recommend doing this but it is an option I have done it to one of my bows and got it from 57lbs to 62lbs at 28" it does work but like I said do it at your own risk.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate everyone's advice. It's definitely nice to get opinions and seeing what people recommend before jumping into the deep end and trying to learn to swim.

Excellent points regarding the weights lug nut. Back in the day I think I would have had a better chance of being able to quickly move up and handle a heavier pull, but I must admit i don't lift near the amount that I used to. I might be living in the past, so it's most likely wise to slowly increase even if it costs additional money in investing limbs (I was being cheap and trying to avoid this).

Will try a few pulls after tightening string too. Thanks for that input. Again comments were much appreciated. Thanks fellas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.