Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rig. It will be a Gillo. Primary use will be 3D, maybe a little indoor thrown in along the way.

I'm on the short side of the draw length spectrum, about 26.5. A 66" bow is pretty much ideal for me based on previous experience. I was initially planning on ordering the trusty 25" Gillo G1. But after spending some time recently playing with a 23" Hoyt, I strongly considering the Gillo GQ 23 with medium limbs instead of the G1 with shorts.

Another factor to consider: I'm playing with string walking and currently shooting with a fixed crawl.

What say ye? Anybody want to convince me to stay with my original G1 plan? Or vice versa? There's no right or wrong answer here, just want to hear from some folks with similar draw length.

Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I currently use a Hoyt 17" riser. Looking around, the Gillo GT 19, with medium limbs for a 62" length has been my curiosity. I like light, short risers. My main training is hunting. Split 3 finger using a black widow tab.

I've also looked into these,

CD Archery is big into 3D and bare bow. USA made. Their call to fame is a heavy riser with a neutral balance. They make risers up to 29".

So for me, my next bow will either be a Gillo gt19 or the WF19 stalker.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm all set in the 19" category with my Titan III. Looking for more of a dedicated competition / target rig.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If your looking into a barebow setup I am going to sell mine if your interested. It is a 25" Gillo Riser however.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
25", every time. My wife has the 23" and I have the 27", more features on mine (like the 25") like the ability to add more weight if that's your bag.
If your draw is short then personally I'd go 25" with medium limbs.

I really like the Gillos, as well as the 27" G1, I have a Ghost for hunting which I have been shooting solidly for months now, easily the best shooting 19" riser I have used. I have never heard a bad word about anything from them, killer line up of risers.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,142 Posts
If you are getting into stringwalking then I would get the 25 inch riser. The key to a good stringwalking setup is balancing the bow. To do that you want the longest string that will work for you. That means a longer bow (and possibly limbs that require a longer string). If you go with a 25 inch riser then you can get a 68 inch bow with medium limbs for string walking while still hitting your 66 inch sweet spot for regular shooting. You may even find that 70 inches will work for stringwalking. I have a very long 32 inch draw and use a 74 inch bow with super recurve limbs. That gives me a 72 inch string. My setup is designed to provide the best balance over the range of crawls that I shoot. I am assuming here that if you try a fixed crawl that you may decide to go full stringwalking, especially for 3D. I have gone over the long string theory several times here. Let me know if you would like me to explain it a bit more.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'd pretty much decided on the G1. I just have to go through the cognitive gymnastics before shelling out money:). Time to dig out the debit card!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rig. It will be a Gillo. Primary use will be 3D, maybe a little indoor thrown in along the way.

I'm on the short side of the draw length spectrum, about 26.5. A 66" bow is pretty much ideal for me based on previous experience. I was initially planning on ordering the trusty 25" Gillo G1. But after spending some time recently playing with a 23" Hoyt, I strongly considering the Gillo GQ 23 with medium limbs instead of the G1 with shorts.

Another factor to consider: I'm playing with string walking and currently shooting with a fixed crawl.

What say ye? Anybody want to convince me to stay with my original G1 plan? Or vice versa? There's no right or wrong answer here, just want to hear from some folks with similar draw length.

Thanks.
I use 25 and 27 inch Gillo G1 risers both with long limbs. The 27" seems a little more forgiving and I need all the forgiveness I can get.:) Both for indoor target, and outdoor field and 3D shooting.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Keep an eye on the traditional classifieds here and on Tradtalk and Leatherwall, or even Ebay. I see G1 in 25" used pretty often. There is one on ebay now for $350

1 - 9 of 9 Posts