Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do many of ya practice shooting on your *? I find when I am sleepling next to a log sometimes there is no time to stand up.LOL!

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
Do you mean shooting from your butt? I do it all the time, and from my knees. I even practice laying on my belly (no easy feat) and shooting off the edge of the picnic table downhill.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Hey Doug, are the ants really that BIG in Alaska?

Rick

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
Of course !!! Everything up here is 2 1/2 times bigger than in Texas and at least 10times as big as any where else in the USA:D

Didn't they teach you nothin' in school...LOL;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How ya fight the skeeter? Sometimes I shoot sitting in a kids size collapsable chair. With the ghille suit its a good height. It has a small back and with fleece added it's whispers.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
You shoulda' seen the looks I got tonight from the neighbors.

I'm going caribou hunting above the arctic circle in 20 days. It's COLD up there most of the time, but it may only be 20*F. You never know. So.....I've been practicing in my down parka and bib snow pants...all covered with lightweight white coverups.... Bulky is an understatement. Top it all off with a pair of gloves and a pair of over mittens dangling from your hands. THEN I shoot from my knees as that is one of the most likely shots out on the tundra. My groups at 50 yards were right at 6" so I was MEGA happy. There were several shots that went a couple inches wide at 30 yards, but still within acceptable limits.

Anyone going on a hunt to a different place than normal should spend a lot of time shooting with ALL the clothing they are going to wear there.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck on your hunt. Have you taken one before? My season starts in two days and I'm all tring to sleep. The weather here is to be low 40's opening morning. Last year I lost a quart or so to skeeters. Man it was hot! I found my high nap polar fleece clothes(uninsulated) kept the blood sucker to high up to get me. It was hot but worth the ability to sit still. I agree shooting with gloves and other clothes is a must. Some family and friend I take are so unprepared. They are used to gun hunting and being able to picnic in the woods.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
Never hunted caribou before. Much less with a bow at those temps. Business has kept me busy and this is the only time I can get off so I can't be choosy. I did however work for 8 years in country just like that as a land surveyor so I know what to expect. We are blessed with multiple challenges in AK and that's what is so great about being a bowhunter up here.

Just looked at the forecast. 0 to 10 below F by the end of the week. Yeah Baby!! No worry about meat spoilage now :D I'm a sick *******...LOL

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the opposite here. If you wait to long here in the south the heat dries um up to jerky. A bud on his third hunt poked a doe early morning. He gutted her and the flies were solid by the time we met at ten. He kept the deer, but became strangely afraid of raid a few weeks later! I think this year will be normal or closer then last year. Do you stalk caribou or call ...both?

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
Stalk and ambush. They move around alot. They graze and move at the same time...kinda' like cattle.

I read an article the other day about rattling them in, but the rut is just about over here now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts