Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deer are dropping dead at an alarming rate to "blue-tongue" in Clay county. Anybody have any further info about this?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thats some bad sh**. I've seen cases in West Virginia that were devastating.:mad:

·
Registered
376 Posts
About 3 years ago I went on a guided hunt in Kentucky, One morning one of the guides dropped me off at the trail I was supposed to walk to get to the stand. After about 11 I climbed down and started up the trail a little farther. About 30min later I smelld the worst smell I had ever smelled and just at the bottom of the trail I counted 8 dead deer all in a pile. Some nice bucks too! So I asked the guide what was up and he told me that they had all died from blue tounge. and they were told not to eat them by fish and game even though they didn't know if humans could get sick from it. So everytime the guide found a dead deer laying around he got it and put it in the pile.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Is this similar to Purple Hooter syndrome...?!:darkbeer: :darkbeer:

Seriously though, I have never heard of this...Someone with the knowledge post up some pics and info...!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here is some signs a deer has blue tongue....and a picture of a sheep with blue tongue.

Acute form (sheep and some species of deer)

Pyrexia up to 42°C, depression
Inflammation, ulceration, erosion and necrosis of the mucosae of the mouth
Swollen and sometimes cyanotic tongue
Lameness due to coronitis or pododermatitis and myositis
Abortion
Complications of pneumonia
Emaciation
Either death within 8-10 days or long recovery with alopecia, sterility and growth delay

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
WoodyH28 said:
Here is some signs a deer has blue tongue....and a picture of a sheep with blue tongue.

Acute form (sheep and some species of deer)

Pyrexia up to 42°C, depression
Inflammation, ulceration, erosion and necrosis of the mucosae of the mouth
Swollen and sometimes cyanotic tongue
Lameness due to coronitis or pododermatitis and myositis
Abortion
Complications of pneumonia
Emaciation
Either death within 8-10 days or long recovery with alopecia, sterility and growth delay
Well Woody, IF I was a medical doctor I would understand exactly what you just said. :darkbeer:

3L

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
We had a bout with EPIZOOTIC HEMORRHAGIC DISEASE (Blue Tongue) here last year and lost several area whitetails including some dandy bucks. It seemed to effect younger deer and the more mature deer of the herd. The good news is that it WILL go away with the cooler weather that will kill the flies that carry the disease. You can easily research the disease and find out tons of info, try Google for many different links and all of it's effects and symptoms.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
44,277 Posts
3L_Archer said:
Well Woody, IF I was a medical doctor I would understand exactly what you just said. :darkbeer:

3L
In layman's terms, they run a high fever and their mouth gets all messed up then they either die or recover. The ones that do recover are usually permanently messed up and can't make babies.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I talked to Tom @ Lonesome Elk Archery last night, he said that guys are finding 'em dead all around northern vigo and the surrounding area.
He said that they have found a 150 class 8pt. floating in a pond and there is rumors of a dead 200", but nobody has seen it that he knows personally.
One guy has found 26 or more dead so far, he couldn't remember the exact number.
He asked if we were having problems across the river and for the first time in 3 years we don't. Thankfully.
It's hard on the herd.:(

·
Registered
28,188 Posts
Cornfed said:
We had a bout with EPIZOOTIC HEMORRHAGIC DISEASE (Blue Tongue) here last year and lost several area whitetails including some dandy bucks. It seemed to effect younger deer and the more mature deer of the herd. The good news is that it WILL go away with the cooler weather that will kill the flies that carry the disease. You can easily research the disease and find out tons of info, try Google for many different links and all of it's effects and symptoms.
True, we had several cases here in NC a couple of years ago. There were several deer found dead but it did not devastate the herd. Once cold weather moved in it was done.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Blue tongue and EHD are not quite the same thing.

"A similar hemorrhagic disease called bluetongue also occurs throughout the U.S. and Canada. The two diseases are antigenically different."

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26647--,00.html

BT in Deer

Bluetongue in susceptible deer causes widespread hemorrhages throughout the body. These lesions are associated with intravascular thromboses and hemorrhages varying in size from petechial to ecchymotic. In chronic BT, deer may develop severe fissures and even sloughing of hooves. Ulcers covered with gray necrotic debris are found in the buccal mucosa, dental pad, and tongue.

EHD in Deer

In susceptible deer EHDV causes lesions very similar to those caused by BTV. The widespread hemorrhages in mucous membranes, skin, and viscera are the result of disseminated intravascular clotting. The Ibaraki strain of EHDV can cause widespread vascular lesions similar to those described for BTV in cattle. Degenerative changes (focal hemorrhage or dry and gray-white appearance, or both) in striated musculature are prominent in the esophagus, larynx, tongue, and skeletal muscles.

http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/gray_book/FAD/blt.htm

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If you have a BT outbreak start hitting the creeks/ponds/watering holes and you'll find the deer most likely. That's the quickest way if you want to survey a suspected area of BT outbreak.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's getting pretty bad here in Illinois again this year. I've found 4 nice bucks dead as #$%^ this year while scouting. Found 2 last year. WDO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts