Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't wait for season to start. You guys have probably already seen this guy. He was one of last years "new world records". Never did hear a final score but I'm pretty sure it went over 200. This one was taken 15 miles from where I work.

802World_Record_Deer.jpg

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Don't show people that crap... Now they're gonna start thinkin we have big deer like IL,OH, and KY.

I swear that was the only big one in the state... everything else is 6 pointers and yearlings. No reason to come to Indiana and hunt!!! :shade:

:secret: shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
haven't seen him before, wow he would be a lifetime achievement for most.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
It was reported in the press that the kid ended up trading the rack for a 4 wheeler and a pick up truck. The rack has since disappeared. The story is, that the kid was sick of all the publicity and hounding that started, basically on the internet (an Indiana site) and it spread like wild fire. The original posting of it was started with good intentions, but all the naysayers started picking the kid apart and drawing negative attention to the situation.

It is too bad. Heck of a buck.

And no, no final score was ever released. Rumors from 200" to 227" gross were reported.

I'm sure the deer will surface again under the new owners name some day.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard from a reliable source that the buck was not traded. He is at the taxidermist being mounted. And I do believe this buck actually hiked to Indiana from Illinois just days before being shot.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
The buck's pic was recently in one of the magazines I get. It may have actually been in the back of NAW where everyone can submit their trophy pics. Either way it was a small pic and it wasn't anywhere near an exaggerated angle and close up as is the pic above but still easily recognizable because of the beams and formation. The animal ended up around 190" non-typ, I was thinking like 189 and change. I know it wasn't even a B&C qualifier and yet several tried to tell us that this buck was a World class typical??? :confused:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Now do you see why the kid would get pissed?

I and many others from Indiana have followed this story from the start. Tons of rumors, tons of allegations. Most of it fueled by internet fodder. Most of it came from the "I heard from a reliable source" type of comments. Funny how many "reliable sources" there are out there.:confused:

All I know is that the only "official" press statement on this buck was that it was traded. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't.

I've got to admit though, I've heard a lot of wild rumors, but trucking it in from Illinois, that one takes the cake. I guess anything is possible though.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Indiana Deer

We have no Deer in Indiana over 150 lbs.
We have no Deer in Indiana over 6 points.
It rains every day during Deer season.
You can not buy Alcoholic beverages in Indiana.
Non resident Hunting license $2000.
No Hunting on Saturday,Sunday,Wed or Friday.
All hunters are required to have only one arrow,with blunt point.
All bows maximum of 25 lb draw weight.
No draw length over 24 inches.
All bow hunters required to have a guide service.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Don't worry guys, I think you and your bucks are pretty safe there in Indy...... for NOW. With all the hoopla and the monster bucks available to your sides of IL and OH.... ain't nobody thinking of messing with Indy......YET. That is, UNTIL you guys get a few more years into your 1 Buck limit and better management. There is a disadvantage of educating your brown & downers to not kill everything they see..... BIG bucks and unfortunately, big buck hunter. Better just be quiet and let everyone keep driving right on through your state. :zip:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Cornfed said:
Don't worry guys, I think you and your bucks are pretty safe there in Indy...... for NOW. With all the hoopla and the monster bucks available to your sides of IL and OH.... ain't nobody thinking of messing with Indy......YET. That is, UNTIL you guys get a few more years into your 1 Buck limit and better management. There is a disadvantage of educating your brown & downers to not kill everything they see..... BIG bucks and unfortunately, big buck hunter. Better just be quiet and let everyone keep driving right on through your state. :zip:
It'll happen sooner or later. I hope much later.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Indiana is getting very close to the states of Illinois, Ohio, Iowa, Kansas ,and Wisconsin as far as quality goes. Please keep the 1 Buck Rule. There is no reason we should not be in the same sentence as those states if we do proper management (we means the DNR and the hunters). We have the same type agriculture and land terrain as those states. The OBR was a great start, I just don't think the DNR is going to keep it much longer.

Shorten the gun season a bit and push it back closer to December.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Cornfed said:
The buck's pic was recently in one of the magazines I get. It may have actually been in the back of NAW where everyone can submit their trophy pics. Either way it was a small pic and it wasn't anywhere near an exaggerated angle and close up as is the pic above but still easily recognizable because of the beams and formation. The animal ended up around 190" non-typ, I was thinking like 189 and change. I know it wasn't even a B&C qualifier and yet several tried to tell us that this buck was a World class typical??? :confused:
I would like to see the magazine you are talking about .... I dont see how the deer would be scored as a non-typical.

·
Engee Potgieter
5,888 Posts
KBacon said:
Don't show people that crap... Now they're gonna start thinkin we have big deer like IL,OH, and KY.

I swear that was the only big one in the state... everything else is 6 pointers and yearlings. No reason to come to Indiana and hunt!!! :shade:

:secret: shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dec,

I was trying to follow up on KBacon's joke. I didn't mean to imply SOMEONE brought the deer over here from Ill. I meant the deer walked himself over. I guess I need to work on my jokes or you need to lighten up.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
DocB said:
Dec,

I was trying to follow up on KBacon's joke. I didn't mean to imply SOMEONE brought the deer over here from Ill. I meant the deer walked himself over. I guess I need to work on my jokes or you need to lighten up.
He wouldnt have "walked" over here, at least not all the way. He would have had one heck of a swim across the Wabash River to get here from Illinois. It's fine with me if people think Indiana has no deer. Anyone who has ever been at a popular check station in the middle of the day on opening day of shotgun season knows what walks the Indiana country side.:wink: However, WE MUST KEEP THE 1 BUCK RULE in order to maintain and highten the quality of our deer. Oct. 1 is approaching fast. If this cool weather sticks around until then there should be some nice ones taken on opening day. Let's get em Hoosier Hunters, good luck, be safe.

-HotShot88

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I hope Indiana never get's rid of the 1 buck rule i think it is the best thing they ever done & for you non residents stay where you are at we dont want you shooting our little deer. I got my eye's on a monster spike i have been watching him for 5 year's.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I got my eye's on a monster spike i have been watching him for 5 year's.
Still a spike? I'd think he'd be at least a forky by now... I'd prolly let him walk.. few more years and he'll be one of them trophy 6 pointers you keep hearing about. :wink:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I, too have heard the rumors. Traded for Truck and ATV seems to be the most popular. Being from the Morgantown area myself, this buck was killed on Sunday evening the opening weekend of our 2005 firearms season just outside of Morgantown and checked in at the Outdoorsman Sports Shop in Greenwood on Monday morning by the shooters father ( the man pictured with the deer). That is where the picture posted earlier was taken. I know this because my cousin works there and was present at that time. Why didn't the son check in his own deer in beyond me. "Supposably", the son had to be at work before the shop opened and did not fully understand the gravity of such a deer. This was indeed atypical of most all large caliper bucks in our area, at least. I do know of the man that caped the animal. He lives one mile north of my house. I only know these small details and I live here. I also heard the rumor that the cape was in the possesion of a taxidermist until it is ready to be mounted. Where's the rack? Don't know. If it were me, I would keep it a mystery as well. Until the whole story becomes public, I'll continue to listen to the rumor mill running rampid. The suspence is great. However, to attack this individual's credibility without knowing the whole story is a sickening problem that viciously attacks our sport everytime a hunter takes a massive deer. That's unfortunate. Let's wait until all the pieces of the puzzle come together. Then we can form a true, educated opinion and take our jabs if it's warrented. Until then, I'll congratulate this hunter on one of the finest animals that I have ever seen. The animal is owed this respect as well. What a magnificant creature!:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts