Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Western Indiana, reports are steadily coming in that dozens of deer have been found dead from EHD or "Blue-tongue". A friend found a huge 15 point nontypical in a ditch on his property in Clay county where the disease is hitting the population hard. What a shame. Infected counties include Clay, Owen, Greene, Sullivan, Parke, Putnam, and Vermillion. Thought I would pass this along.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
wow , that is a shame ... I use to hunt in NW Ind.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
weird how much EHD and Blue Tongue kill almost every year but CWD is going to be the end according to some... :confused:

sorry to hear that...that stinks....JB

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have seen areas in WV in the mid to late 90's where we went from seeing close to a 100 deer a day to maybe seeing a few to none a day:eek:. Couldn't get the DNR to acknowledge it though:noidea:.

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
Duck65 said:
I have seen areas in WV in the mid to late 90's where we went from seeing close to a 100 deer a day to maybe seeing a few to none a day:eek:. Couldn't get the DNR to acknowledge it though:noidea:.
Yep, and the dead ones were always found close to water..
good thing is cold weather will stop it..

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
man, i hate to hear this,i hunt around the warsaw area, i saw a show a few years back that jackie bushman did on this sickness ,bad and sad way for any animal to go.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Alabama has been hit hard recently.

A catfish farmer reported 20+ deer carcasses in a drained pond last year. Blue tongue thought to be the culprit.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
That's very sad. I hunted a ranch in Montana one year that was crawling with deer. Blue tougne hit and the next year you had to hunt hard to even find a track!

·
Registered
25 Posts
found dead deer on property I hunt

I went out this evening to clear some trails and do some squirrel hunt and in the process I caught a foul smell so I investigated. I found a buck and 2 does along the creek that runs through the property I hunt. the buck wasn't very big a 7pt. I hope it doen't get any worse than that. I did see 6 tonight that seemed to be in good health. Oh and I hunt in clay county Indiana. Hope a heavy frost comes early.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yeah EHD is terrible, there are quite a few different "strands", but the disease is very close to Ebola with regard to what it does to the infected animal. Sorry to hear about your bad fortune....:cry:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Blue Tongue has been killing deer for thousands of years. It is not the end of the world. The whitetail is an amazing animal that recovers nicely from these things.

It is unfortunate that it happens, but Mother Nature is cruel sometimes.:sad:

But I might add, Blue Tongue will likely kill off any and all big bucks in the State of Indiana, so there is no need for all of you out of state folks to come here hunting. No more big bucks in Indiana.:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Blue tongue in West Texas also...

There have been a number of reports of dead deer from blue-tongue (EHD) in the west-central Texas region as well, according to Tx Parks and Wildlife. My family owns land in the area (Concho County) but we haven't been hit hard compared to other areas.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
That sucks for sure.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Deer are just like any other animal when they get overpopulated something will get them. We had EHD come through Northern Missouri back in 98' It tends to kill the older deer which is bad for QDM, but good for the B&D. :wink: Guess it is just natures process.

·
Registered
716 Posts
There's is an article on EHD and BT in this month's North American Whitetail. Sounds like mild winters and droughts help perpetuate it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts