Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hunting hard since the first day of bow season and I am suprized at how little deer I have seen this year. I have done everything....

-shower before hunting with scent killer

-clothes all washed in scent killer...kept in carbon back...put them on at the truck before entering the woods.

-Used scent killer field spray

-arrived in tree 1 hour before daylight and carful of wind direction whil walking in so not to scare deer.

-hunt from a climber....always with the correct wind...I never hunted a spot if the wind was bad.

-hunted from 30 ft in the air.

-Hunted between obvious bedding areas and food. (corn field and acorn trees)

- I have seen several rubs and scrapes in the area...between bedding and food....Seen alot of deer sign...scat and tracks.

Hunting I have seen very few deer. I have yet to see a buck in the woods.
The deer seem to be all nocturnal..... I have hunted long hours....setting a min of 5 hours each time. Has anyone else had these issues in Indiana this year. I am concerned this is due to the doe harvest in Indiana. We are allowed to take a large number of does each year. Is this having an effect? Is this from some disease?

I have a friend that owns check in station...his check ins are way way down....like half of last year.

I would love to know if anyone else is having this issues. I am in Northern Knox Southern Green Counties

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
How did you do last year?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I have seen close to the same amount as in previous years. Most of the time they are coming from the corn and right back into it. We just got the corn down last week in a lot of places. I feel that with the corn standing longer than normal they were just hanging out in there. Why leave, food, cover and water in some areas of corn. Figure the corn has been out at least a month londer than usuall. We almost always have it down before the firearms season here, first Sat after Veterans Day. That is my thoughts.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Yes, my deer sightings have been down this season big time(NE Porter Co.).....No acorns on my place this season, Corn up late or still up, lousy weather conditions and nothing but easterly winds it seemed this season(east winds suck for the property).......there was no rut to speak of....not compared to what I have seen in past years. The adult Does were gone early in the season looking for acorns and then went in to the corn(I had beans on my place this year, ). The nearest corn was 1/4 to 1/2 mile away and there were hundred's of acres of it up past the gun season opener(heck, it's still up!!)....My food plots were not being hit as much as in past years, the clover was hit in the spring, summer thru Sept. and the Brassica/forage turnip never did get as much use as in past years......Ive hunted this place for over 15 years(food plots for 10 years)....this was the worst I have seen for over all deer numbers and movement......:confused: .....I do expect next year to be better, I hope, as the corn will be on my place and the beans elsewhere and I expect the time up to corn harvest to be good as the deer will filter thru the place to get to it........I did take a decent 7 pt 160lber opening day gun(Muzzeloader), but there has only been one other time I have NOT taken a big Doe by bow going this late in the season.... I usually have at least 2 Does with the bow by now.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indiana-Deer

Yes I have always had deer all over me in past years. Last year was a big year for deer. I seen 20 everytime I hunted.

I see sign...it is just all night time movement.

I was really geared up for this year...I seen alot of does with Multiple fawns...atleast 5 different does..in about a square mile.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's my first year hunting- but I've lived here for a long time on this land I'm hunting... sure I get the feeling that deer just got really scarce- but I think it's more a matter of my own relationship toward them changing than their actual numbers.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't see the total number of deer i did five years ago but i don't think this is entirely a bad thing. I can remember seeing 10 doe to every 1 buck i would see. Now in the past few years i have actually seen more bucks than does. I think our ratios were greatly outta whack for a while, not sure if it is the taking of more doe or the EHD outbreak in my area a few years ago but the buck to do ratio seems to be much closer to 1to1 the area that i hunt.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
I have seen/killed more deer this year than any other year. Been killing an average of 9 does a year off this property. (9 total) In my opinion, the buck to doe ratio was way out of wack, though I know some on here would disagree with that.
I've seen more bucks this year than ever before, but also just as many does, despite taking some off the property every year. Killed an 8 pt,and 3 does. Wife killed a doe,and son killed 2. I still see a lot of does on the property right before dark, and some small bucks as well.
Not sure what to tell you, but all I can say is that the doe harvesting has not hurt the property I hunt at all.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do you you have a trail cam, they would give you an idea of what is on your property and when it is moving.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same deal here, all the land that I hunt was covered with corn untill thanksgiving week and on one parcel still! I have not hunted alot this season due to work picking up but still I would normally see a few each time out not so this year(for me).Also, alot of guys are feeling the same pain.We still got some time left I not giving up yet unless the lakes ice up then ...well.....!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This year I have seen more deer than the last three years combined. At the beginning of the season, each time out I would see at least six, sometimes the same six. And during the rut, I spotted at least 4 bucks, one of which a large 8 pt. I normally don't see many bucks in my area. Its been a little slower since the week before Thanksgiving, but still seeing them nearly every weekend.

Corn finally came down in the field to the west of me a couple weeks ago, but has not effected much as far as I can tell. Beans were down early next to my hunting area.

Now if I could just arrow one of the little buggers.

·
Broke and Happy
5,001 Posts
I have been hunting hard since the first day of bow season and I am suprized at how little deer I have seen this year. I have done everything....

-shower before hunting with scent killer

-clothes all washed in scent killer...kept in carbon back...put them on at the truck before entering the woods.

-Used scent killer field spray

-arrived in tree 1 hour before daylight and carful of wind direction whil walking in so not to scare deer.

-hunt from a climber....always with the correct wind...I never hunted a spot if the wind was bad.

-hunted from 30 ft in the air.

-Hunted between obvious bedding areas and food. (corn field and acorn trees)

- I have seen several rubs and scrapes in the area...between bedding and food....Seen alot of deer sign...scat and tracks.

Hunting I have seen very few deer. I have yet to see a buck in the woods.
The deer seem to be all nocturnal..... I have hunted long hours....setting a min of 5 hours each time. Has anyone else had these issues in Indiana this year. I am concerned this is due to the doe harvest in Indiana. We are allowed to take a large number of does each year. Is this having an effect? Is this from some disease?

I have a friend that owns check in station...his check ins are way way down....like half of last year.

I would love to know if anyone else is having this issues. I am in Northern Knox Southern Green Counties
Yes and no. There are areas that use to be loaded with deer that I have been skunked on through 10 hunts in that stand this season. Never been skunked there before. But I have been seeing plenty of deer elsewhere...

Locally the numbers are way down....not sure the cause. I think that EHD a couple years ago took a bigger hit on deer than people realized.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Indiana

We do have a large Yote population. Not sure you can kill enough of them....All trail cams pics are around 10:00 pm

·
Registered
585 Posts
The corn, the weather and going nocturnal has had a great impact, but I am not complaining I have seen many deer this year. Many more does than bucks. The nice bucks that I have seen were at night. (trail cam pics)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bowhunt Ohio(where I live), but gun hunt in Indiana, in Ohio County very near Switzerland and Ripley Counties. I hung a scouting camera in September but didn't get around to looking at it until opening day of gun season. Between 9/3 and 10/1(when the batteries died) I had 1123 pics. Sure, some were turkeys, ***** and even a coyote, but the VAST majority were deer. I counted 15 different bucks, including 5 140"+ bucks.

·
Has been wrestler...
935 Posts
I think by far the biggest issue this year was/is the corn comng out so late. I hunt primarily in SW Owen Co., not too far from you. I have never, in the 12 seasons I have hunted there, seen so much deer sign as this season. Lot of Scat and rubs, and more scrapes then anyone would believe. However, I hunted a week straight in firearms season and saw only a group of 5 does (my dad shot one) and two lone spikes. The deer were routinely moving through the property, new tracks everyday, just at nite. Don't worry, the does are not all getting shot, they are still there. The bag limits have been liberalized BECAUSE there are plenty of them. The corn near our property got cut the middle of last week. Last saturday I caught a nice 10pt bedded up in our woods no one had seen before. I took him from 160 yards with my muzzleloader. With several beds right there together, it appeared he had been bedded up there for several days, since when the corn got cut. I got a nice antlerless the next morning. My advice to you is to just keep hunting. As the the tempeture drops and the last of the corn comes out, you will see more deer. I will grant you, the coyote population has exploded in the area the last few years, (we all should work on that over the winter), and the recent disease outbreak took a toll, but all in all I feel those two factors have only had a minor impact. I really think the deer have just been eating and sleeping all day in the safety of the standing corn and cruising and marking their territory under the cover of darkness. Wouldn't you?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hunting in Ohio Co. and I saw at least 30-40% less deer than a year or two ago. Less does for sure in part to the overwhelming pressure for hunters to shoot more I think. Bucks are about the same where I hunt but the rut does not seem more intense.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Not long ago, couple weeks, had 5/6 different bucks under my stand all at the same time. Corn is now in, so I will probably see more deer. What I have seen in the deer woods this year has been pretty atypical. The difference from last year is 1st week of Nov.(08)corn was in and cooler temps. This year was warmer than usual. The deer woods is a living, breathing entity that will vary from year to year, if you have done the same rituals, maybe something other than you has influenced the deer activity. I believe the warmer temps play a big role. My opinion, based on what I have seen and experienced.
Solohunter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts