Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard about them moving the Indiana Firearm back to THanksgiving for 2011 season. I don't know if they will but I sure hope they do. Having the gun season in the heart of the rut has been the one thing screwing over Indianas P&Y entrees. Any info please let me know

·
aim small miss small
187 Posts
I have not heard that but agree that it would be nice. I've hunted your state the last 4 years and wondered the same. You may get the big bucks to survive a bit longer too and at least pass on their genes to more does. I think going to the one buck rule has helped out the quality too. The last two years have been wierd years where we hunted. Two years ago it rained a week before we got there and all the crops were still up until we left and this year it was really too warm to get the deer moving. I sure do like the way your deer taste!

·
Registered
387 Posts
That would be great. All the big boys are walking around stupid right on opening day. That will definitely save some mature deer lives here more chances for bow hunters.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As an avid bowhunter who lives in Indiana, I sure hope they pass this new season! I believe the one buck rule has worked great, but believe shortening and moving back the firearms season would make Indiana alot better as far as trophy status goes. On the other hand, I understand why the gun hunters are upset by this proposal. We'll just have to wait and see what they do.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The new proposed 2011 rules have been scrapped. Nothing will change in 2011. The DNR-NRC are meeting in January to come up with a situation concerning the so called doe over population our state is supposed to have. Growing larger antlers in the name of doe reduction didn't work the first go around.

·
Registered
362 Posts
As an avid bowhunter who lives in Indiana, I sure hope they pass this new season! I believe the one buck rule has worked great, but believe shortening and moving back the firearms season would make Indiana alot better as far as trophy status goes. On the other hand, I understand why the gun hunters are upset by this proposal. We'll just have to wait and see what they do.
What is your reason that the OBR has worked so well in our state? It's a proven fact that since the incorporation of the OBR, Indiana's buck harvest has increased every year. If more bucks are being killed every year, how can the OBR be working?

·
Registered
298 Posts
What is your reason that the OBR has worked so well in our state? It's a proven fact that since the incorporation of the OBR, Indiana's buck harvest has increased every year. If more bucks are being killed every year, how can the OBR be working?
I have seen more mature bucks the past 3 seasons than I used to see. I also believe that hunters are being more selective in their buck harvests. Just my opinion and from what I've seen in the areas I hunt.

·
Registered
36,011 Posts
2011 season will pretty much mirror 2010

All of that season changing talk was scrapped.

Our doe numbers in areas have been reduced significantly. Everyone I know says the same thing...."where are all of the deer"

·
Registered
840 Posts
Up in the north central part of the state, we didn't see nearly as many deer. I do know that the property we hunt, we all saw larger than normal bucks on the property along with some up and comers.

·
Registered
11,422 Posts
i've heard more folks complain about not seeing nearly as many dear this year than any year to date. where we hunt we saw very, very few deer and even fewer does. i worked a check in station a couple days or more and only saw one buck i'd figure went 120 or more. one doe checked in wasn't as big as my ol' dog Buck was when he died. These were all during gun season.

the auto insurance industry in indiana has a lot more influence on deer hunting regulations than hunters do anyway.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have seen more mature bucks the past 3 seasons than I used to see. I also believe that hunters are being more selective in their buck harvests. Just my opinion and from what I've seen in the areas I hunt.
I agree with you on the selective statement. I think this is the reason that in some places more mature bucks are being killed.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
2011 season will pretty much mirror 2010

All of that season changing talk was scrapped.

Our doe numbers in areas have been reduced significantly. Everyone I know says the same thing...."where are all of the deer"
Same thing I heard. None of the changes will be in effect. Wait for Shouldernuke to get on here. I am sure he will have something to say about this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All I can say is I hope they move it back sometime soon cause here in Franklin County every big buck is either killed or turned nocternal before the rut is over.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have heard that the original proposals were scrapped, but the DNR will be putting out the new regs next month, this time without any input from the state's hunters..

I am in favor of extending the start of the firearms season because I am a bowhunter first, but, I also like the fact that the state's hunters had a voice in the first proposal and the DNR listened. Hopefully, the new regs will reflect what the majority of hunters want in Indiana.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have heard that IN is changing the firearm season. I grew up in IN and have hated the fact that gun season was in the middle of the rut since I have been in OH. I only bow hunt and have loved that fact that gun season in OH isnt until Thanksgiving. I see why they have so many big bucks. I hope it goes through.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts