Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I’m thinking about possibly looking into leasing some hunting ground this deer season, but I’m totally clueless where to start looking. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Bettering the last.....
5,781 Posts
Out of stater who hunts there’s perspective.

1 hr from city. If you see horse&buggy signs, or people who ride such transportation being driven around in vans....get closer to a city.

Neutral countries are great counties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
612 Posts
There are a couple of sites out there that caters to leases. I frequently look at www.basecampleasing.com. I have never actually used them though.

Do you know anyone in the areas you are considering? If so, start asking around if they know anyone.

Knock on doors. Yep, cold calls. Suggestions ... 1) dress respectable, 2) be very polite, 3) don't go during dinner hours (best not to intrude), 4) if they say no, leave your info and ask if they might have suggestions.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I went thru Basecamp a few years back for a two year lease in Wabash .. it wasnt cheap, $3500 for 140 acres or so, for a fee you can get a priority list so to speak and get first dibs on land as it pops up, or you can go free and look at left overs... they notify you by email .... just to look at a spot in person you have to put a payment down with a credit card. You sign a contract and pay up front if you take the place.. me and a buddy split it.... it wasnt bad, but we had problems with trespassers and dogs ....for the price, it should have been better .....we gave it up.... I'm back on state land now ... prior to the Basecamp thing, I was on 160 acres for $200, was there for 18 yrs till the farmer and his wife passed away, I about cried when I had to give it up ... killed some great deer off of it thru the years and had it all to myself ..., prior to that was the state land I'm back on ...... the only other way is to knock on doors... you can find some larger parcels thru on line sites, but they will cost ya ... I'm done leasing... for now... state land is far from perfect with all the pressure, but its free ... good private land is hard to find.... better luck south and west of Indy where there is more habitat ... up north here, it sucks ..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts