Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I have venture to Indiana will be this upcoming season. I have a solid 50 acre lease full of crops and isolated timber and have a few questions. I looked at the regs online and was a little unsure on a few things.

Tags - Can I have one archery and one gun buck tag?? Nonresident hunter. I think these are over the counter right?

Rifles - .308 is good to use, right?

Timing - Probably will have two trips. One around Nov 8 for 5 or so days for archery rut and one around Thanksgiving for Rifle. I want two trips, is this my best options? Do not want to waste time in early season as there are to many factors. I will head up in August with cameras and stands.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Indiana is a one-buck state, no matter what weapon you choose (with some exceptions hunting special reduction zones but you have to earn a buck there by shooting a doe first). .308 is legal for firearms season as long as you are on private land, no go on public or state lands.

Not sure on the non-resident tags since I live in state and have a lifetime license that covers me for everything I need.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Archery and firearms are separate tags. They offer a bundle for residents that's two does and one buck, with any weapon, when that season is open. Not sure if it's available for non-resident. Also the archery season opens October 1st and runs clear through the first Sunday in January, only closing the week after firearms from Mon to Fri.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Archery and firearms are separate tags. They offer a bundle for residents that's two does and one buck, with any weapon, when that season is open. Not sure if it's available for non-resident. Also the archery season opens October 1st and runs clear through the first Sunday in January, only closing the week after firearms from Mon to Fri.

The above is INCORRECT. Archery season is October 1 through the first Sunday in January. There is NO layoff after the Firearm's Season. You may purchase a Non-Resident Archery Permit and/or a Non-Resident Crossbow Permit and a Non-Resident Firearm's Permit; however you only kill one buck per year as others have stated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The above is INCORRECT. Archery season is October 1 through the first Sunday in January. There is NO layoff after the Firearm's Season. You may purchase a Non-Resident Archery Permit and/or a Non-Resident Crossbow Permit and a Non-Resident Firearm's Permit; however you only kill one buck per year as others have stated.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Your right, I remember that I learned there is no lay off this year. Didn't there used to be a lay off? I must have assumed that there was because gun season always closed.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
So, ask for advice and info...without letting the Hoosiers know what part of the state you're going to visit?

·
Registered
97 Posts
First time I have venture to Indiana will be this upcoming season. I have a solid 50 acre lease full of crops and isolated timber and have a few questions. I looked at the regs online and was a little unsure on a few things.

Tags - Can I have one archery and one gun buck tag?? Nonresident hunter. I think these are over the counter right?

Rifles - .308 is good to use, right?

Timing - Probably will have two trips. One around Nov 8 for 5 or so days for archery rut and one around Thanksgiving for Rifle. I want two trips, is this my best options? Do not want to waste time in early season as there are to many factors. I will head up in August with cameras and stands.
The dates for archery rut should be dead on. What county is your lease in?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Your right, I remember that I learned there is no lay off this year. Didn't there used to be a lay off? I must have assumed that there was because gun season always closed.

Yes, it used to close Monday through Friday following Firearm's Season, but that changed a few years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts