Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read article saying Indiana DNR is going to have a meeting reguarding reducing deer population by 25% in the next 5 years. The meeting is going to take place May 18. Can you imagine? They do not exactly how many deer there are but going to such a radical thing. Man, I have bowhunted Indiana for the last 20+ years and sure do hope this is not going to be the disaster it sounds like it is going to be.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Just run them over into Ohio. That would be fine with us. Then maybe they'd let the doe tags run all season!

·
Embrace the suck!
7,673 Posts
They want to do that in Nebraska too. Some areas of the state need it but not where I hunt. Our deer numbers are finally satisfactory as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
The next five years in Indiana will be an interesting time.

Not sure how they will determine when 25% is reached.. ? ?

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
The next five years in Indiana will be an interesting time.

Not sure how they will determine when 25% is reached.. ? ?
The sad part is it will be determined behind a desk setting at a computer. :pc:

The problem I have with this is that the Wildlife Officials that make the decisions, never put their boots on the ground. My county in KY has taken a major reduction in numbers due to the way that KY determines how many deer need to be killed. I could go on and on.....

·
Liv4Rut
7,283 Posts
The only way the deer will be killed is from hunters. Simply educate people and don't shoot piles and piles of deer. We are finally starting to see that in Iowa. Deer numbers are coming down greatly and people aren't shooting the does like they used to as a result.

·
Registered
529 Posts
We've already seen a drop in population in the area we hunt.. 25% is a drastic number of a population to take out of an ecosystem.. Kinda like using a grenade when a firecracker will do.. It'd be shame if they go through with this.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Our deer numbers are finally satisfactory as far as I'm concerned.
"Satisfactory" based on what? The number of deer you want to see while hunting? The overall health of the herd? Or the number of deer that your area's human population can "live with" meaning low car collisions, and low crop depredation, etc?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes, in Iowa we have already ruined deer hunting in many areas of the state by the senseless slaughter of the doe population. I would guess you have Farm Bureau Insurance in your state. I would look there for the cause of the beginng of the slaughter of your herd.:thumbs_do

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

Welcome to WISCONSIN:cow:

Our "success" will be spread far and wide. Sorry.

We'll sell you some wolves-cheap. And maybe your DNR guys can get some much needed OT shooting deer over bait piles at night. How about a rifle season during the rut? and multiple doe only hunts?

Good luck.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
That sucks.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Yes, in Iowa we have already ruined deer hunting in many areas of the state by the senseless slaughter of the doe population. I would guess you have Farm Bureau Insurance in your state. I would look there for the cause of the beginng of the slaughter of your herd.:thumbs_do
:up: Exactly. That is one of the main ones behind the KY slaughter too.

·
Feedn The Geese
11,991 Posts
pa did the same thing and now theyre back peddling, the hunters are JACKED.

so much so two MAJOR changes in my WMU this year

20% reduction in doe allocations from 40,000 brings us too 32,000 but thats not all... NOW, the dmap(state forest, private land owner tags) are also included in the allocations. no more 50,000+ doe tags. I dont have an exact number but im guessing the neighborhood of 10,000 private/state land tags are issued via dmap. that leaves 22,000 on public land. a decrease of almost HALF.

speak up, speak up and speak up some more. its a sad day when you need your legislators involved to enjoy what was once tradition.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Wisconsin is just waking up with the "reduce the population" hangover and it t'ain't purty. They never really knew how many deer they had and then realized whatever that number was, now it was only half.

It was maddening to see them knock the heck out of the doe population -- guys shot every doe they saw -- and now there are no deer. Go figure.

The pioneers moving west never thought they could should the bison into near extinction. Let's hope your guys in IN show some late-found discretion.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
They are looking at it from the perspective of any simple-minded civilian, not the perspective of a hunter. You need to realize that you, as a hunter, are in the minority. It sucks, obviously, but it's the truth.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have no problem with massive deer reduction programs, if they are necessary.

The problem I have, is state wide mandates.

Deer herds should be monitored and managed on a county by county yearly basis, with a provision for local citizen input.

IMHO

·
Registered
363 Posts
Bad decesions

The state of Indiana..I am sure is being pushed by the insurance companies...Farm B. I am sure is a major company pushing it. It would reduce there auto clams and the farmers would have less crop damage.
The state of Indiana with the current administration is all about big business. That will not change until the people at the top does. Not to get into a political debate.

The result of this would be ok in some counties but others will be a disaster for the deer herd. Southern Indiana has been hit hard with a declining deer population over the past year. Ask most check in stations in south western Indiana and I gurantee the majority have had drastic declines in deer checked in. I know several that had half what they did the year before.

I am against any increase in the number of does killed in Indiana. The increase in these only lead to more and more deer killed...back staps removed and the rest to lay and rot or be eaten by the coyotes another DNR screw up. I had 36 coyotes killed on 600 acres near mein 2 months. I bet there is not 10 rabbits if any on all of it.

The shame of this is that Deer Hunters bring in the most revenue for the state through fees but do not receive the majority of the money put back into our sport. Duck hunters should be happy they bring in very little and get the majority of it.

Good job DNR

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Indiana Deer

This might actually be a good time to team up with PETA. Hard to believe. I don't know what kind of pull they have, but might be worth a shot. It will be extremely hard to change legislators and the big insurance companies.

Just wondering who to contact to write them a letter on a this situation or who actually makes the decisions/laws on these issues. Would love to flood their inbox

1 - 20 of 62 Posts