Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's going on with indoor 3d? I heard of one locally with a 22 yard max. Is this just a way to spend a night shooting? Is the challange the crowd of people? The lighting? The only way I see this verry chalaging is if 14's are in play. Maybe I'm sounding cocky but its 20 yards not 45. If you know its a 22 yard max. Then judging yardage shouldn't be an issue. Someone enlighten me.

·
Registered
23,626 Posts
The course we shooot winter leagues on is 22 yards max as well...and with a combination of small targets and obstacles, no one has ever cleaned the course...so yes..it is fun, it is challenging, it is awesome.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as I said I'm not being cocky. And I will give it a try. They say try everything once. Like all others in this sport I'll probably end up hooked.

·
Registered
23,626 Posts
This will be my 5th year....only won it once...you'll love it!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You pretty much nailed it...

Sometimes they burn their own rings in, at about 1/5 the size of normal rings, after the targets get chewed up beyond recognition and they have to be repaired. The worst thing about indoor 3D in a 20 yard range (they get 22-25 via shooting across the diagonal) is arrow damage since everyone is going to be so close to the center all the time. Oh, and most of the time indoor 3D clubs decide that small targets are the way to go, and this eventually ends in pass throughs in one or two tournaments.

It's very challenging to win though. It's just like HC. It's "easy" to hit tens, but really in order to compete you have to hit every single one of the 11's/14's to win, and that's hard no matter how far away they are.

·
Registered
23,626 Posts
Oh....and our course has TWO moving targets!

·
Back Yard Champion
28,931 Posts
Shooting indoor 3D is different. Lighting does come into play, not just for point zones, but peep size also. Peeps, 1/8" big can "grow" to what seems twice the size. X rings of small size are harder than you think when indoors, whether it's 12 or 14 rings, and dime size on some small targets? Most can be shot straight on with a 20 yard pin setting, but if you got one 7 feet in front of you? Cross shooting, corner to corner can effect the so-called 20 or 22 yard distance. I have never seen anyone "clean" the course at 4 different indoor ranges. 1 range has Pop-ups and time limits for them and 1 range has 30 yards. 1 range is even longer, 40 I think - I haven't been there since the back wall was removed to use the back of the building.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know ours is a 20yrd course and the targets are all different sizes plus they have you shoot from different positions,( i.e kneeling on one knee or both, just to mix it up. )

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
:pukey:
What's going on with indoor 3d? I heard of one locally with a 22 yard max. Is this just a way to spend a night shooting? Is the challange the crowd of people? The lighting? The only way I see this verry chalaging is if 14's are in play. Maybe I'm sounding cocky but its 20 yards not 45. If you know its a 22 yard max. Then judging yardage shouldn't be an issue. Someone enlighten me.
:pukey::pukey::pukey::pukey::pukey::pukey::pukey:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts