Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to shooting spots and would like some advice in picking out a couple things to help me get started on the right foot. Currently I am shooting a Hoyt katera Xl at 61lbs with a Rellik 4pin.

I need advice on arrows (i am thinking aluminum?) and a rest as those are the things, along with DW, that I can afford to change. I want to go to have fun, but want to give myself the best chance to shoot well.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Some people do shoot aluminum arrows very well but since I am assuming you are talking about indoor spots I am going to suggest looking at some fat carbon shafts such as GT xxx's. Find a nice fall away rest like a limbdriver. You can put those on your current bow and shoot bowhunter with a good stabalizer. You may want to look at some side bars too.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Lighten up on your draw weight...indoor is an exhausting sport, form and repetition are the key...speed means nothing(you know the distance) and all that matters is your ability to repeat that shot over and over...lots of reps with the bow, form form, and then form...the lighter bow you can shoot, the better it is. Aluminum arrows are a good choice...lots of weight up front, feathers will steer the arrow and control it better...good luck.

·
Shootin and Cussin
23,577 Posts
What Davik said... plus.... I won't use a dropaway rest. I find it is much better and easier to shoot a fixed blade rest.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
You have a good bow for it. Honestly, the best thing to do is shoot the arrows and equipment you have now until you see how well you like it. You won't be able to take full advantage of specialized arrows and equipment until you have shot quite a bit of indoor. If you are determined to buy stuff, any of the spring steel (wide) launchers, 2712's, 4" feathers, & heavy points for 5 spot. Shoot the 61 pounds if you are strong enough, or let it down until the holding weight feels and holds good, and balances the weights you have on the bow. Take all but one pin off the site and center that pin in the housing, if possible. You will still be bowhunter fs legal, but it will be easier to shoot with one pin, imho.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts