Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What binoculars would you recommend for indoor shooting - manufacturer, size, etc.?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'd get Canon image stabilized binocular... the 10x are plenty for me to see how I score, but there are people I know who use the 18x, as that's useful when you go outside.

Also, get a shoulder harness, as they're much more comfortable. I use the one that Nikon sells, although I'm sure that somebody else is the OEM.

kgk

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
18X ?????

I don't know anyone who uses 18X binoculars outdoors. It is hard enough to hold 10X still enough to see your nocks.
Jbird

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Holding Still

Brad, I have been doing that with my 10X42 Minox's but I don't think that would work with 18X! You would need a tripod. LOL
Jbird

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'd stick with a 8-10X and 42+ objective for light gathering abilities. For indoor you are only looking at 20yds and they will work great for 3d too!Alpens, Pentax( my Favorite) and Nikons are good for the money. I looked through a set of Bushnells the other day and they weren't bad for the money either.IMHO Matt

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
alpens 10x42

My son bought a pair out in nationals this year. We looked at all the guy had on the table and we both picked out the same ones. You can callem in or out with them from way back. They work really good outdoors also. Good for star gazing too. charlie
P.S. I think they were around 250$

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Re: 18X ?????

Jbird said:
I don't know anyone who uses 18X binoculars outdoors. It is hard enough to hold 10X still enough to see your nocks.
They have active stabilization, so they correct for the shake of your hands. Try some, they're very cool. (They use batteries.)

kgk

·
Registered
490 Posts
10x25 Leica

I use 10x25 Leica compac's for indoor because there lighter and you don't need big,bulky, and heavy binoculars to see 20yards indoor.

Target 1

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
10X25 Leicas

T1, I borrowed a friend of mine's for the day and they are NICE.
When I get around to buying a pair for indoors only, this will be my choice. I think they can be had for around $300. I shot with a female pro last year in the Pro Am at Watkins Glen and she had a pair she used for Field shooting and thought they were fine outside too and so compact and light.
Jbird

·
Registered
51 Posts
Binos

Try the new Bruntons I can't remember what specs they are but Bruntons in general are good binos and they will work for outdoor too.

·
Registered
541 Posts
At 20 yards indoors, any binoc will do -- even the $25 pair. Go for the light and compact model.

I just traded my Leica 10x25's for a 25 Kw PTO driven generator ... :D :D

·
Registered
349 Posts
IMHO, if you need anything more than a cheap Wal-Mart pair of 8x22's to see your arrow at 20 yards, you should be investing your money in a pair of eye glasses, not binoculars. :D

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
batteries not included

wrap your paws around the Canon's with active stabilizer and you'll be sold. I can score better at 20 yards with it than up close with my glasses. Only one problem. You will have to wait in line to use them unless you are a fast shooter...:D

·
Registered
20,288 Posts
djq -

Any reason why you wouldn't just use a spotting scope?

Not sure what the current rules are about scopes on the shooting line, and you might have to work the logistics of placement, but the rifle guys have it figured out pretty well. Given that you're talking about 20 yds, you won't need to go top of the line, which can get pretty pricy.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Jbird

I bought the Leica 10x25 for turkey hunting mainly and some bowhunting for deer and last year started to use them for indoors just to get ride of the weight.

If your going to use the binoculars for just indoors then I agree that you can get by without Leica's.

Target 1

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Bino's

I just bought a pair of Wind River's and they are working great for 3D, around $280.00. But I also looked at a pair of Bushnell's at Wal-Marts for $79.99 I think they were Banner's???? They looked good inside but don't know what they'd do in low light??? Anybody know???? Sure worth a look. WR

·
Registered
709 Posts
Check out some Pentax 10 x 40 PCF V's. They are only a little over a hundred dollars & are great in every way except they aren't waterproof. They have one unique feature that makes them excellent for indoor shooting, though. They have a focus lock. You can set your focus for 20 yards and leave them there all night if you can resist checking arrows from back at the seats. They are very clear and have very good eyecups (for those who wear glasses). I use mine indoors and out, but switch over to my old Simmons 10 x 42's if rain threatens.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BINOCULARS

I would like to thank all of you who took the time to answer my question. I now have a few new binoculars to look it.

djq

1 - 20 of 20 Posts