1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ..
This is first time for compound indoor competition
I need some advises about bow setup and arrow choose for indoor competition
I live in Kuwait, and there is no any archery stores here, so I will order all my stuff from Lancaster Archery, and I am trying to make it one correct order

My bow :
Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL
DW: 50-60# (set on 57#)
DL: 26"
Scope 4x with dot

Please Advice me what I have to change with the bow and sight:
- Arrow rest blade (0.08", 0.010" or 0.012") ?
- Size of scope dot ?
- anything more you suggest ?

Arrows :
- I prefer Easton, but which one ? (Fat boy, X7 Eclipse or Full Bore) ?
- which size should I choose ? (I know that I have to test and try, but as I mention, I CAN'T, so I want something near to perfect spine)
- How I know the perfect arrow length ?
- Which arrow point weight should I choose ?
- Which Vanes are best for indoor (brand and size) ?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one :/

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Everyone likes different set ups, and it may not be right for you. I use GT XXX for indoors 28" shaft, 240 gr point, 4 inch vane tech vanes. You can find the equivilant with Easton. I shoot with a 6x scope indoors, with a circle and single pin. I am now using an axcel x41, I also have an x31 axcel scope. I use speciality archery hooded peep with 4 different size peeps. I use the same set up outdoors, but when it's windy I use a 4x lens.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everyone likes different set ups, and it may not be right for you. I use GT XXX for indoors 28" shaft, 240 gr point, 4 inch vane tech vanes. You can find the equivilant with Easton. I shoot with a 6x scope indoors, with a circle and single pin. I am now using an axcel x41, I also have an x31 axcel scope. I use speciality archery hooded peep with 4 different size peeps. I use the same set up outdoors, but when it's windy I use a 4x lens.
Thanks for reply .. I am sure that someone could give me some advises to know what I need for indoor competition or give me some head lined.

·
Buckeye Fanatic !
1,093 Posts
First off the blade thickness you use is gunna depend a lot on the weight of your arrow. If your new to using a scope I wouldn't shoot anything more than a 4x lense. Its very hard to manage the movement out of a higher power lense. The scope dot size is something that is easy to play around with. Order a pack of them and play around with them.

Arrows can be a little tricky depending on what you want to do. Personally I love shooting aluminum indoors. I have shot aluminum and Carbon and the aluminum seem to be a lot more forgiving to me. I like Shooting Easton X7's 2712 with a 300 grain pin point. I would use 5" feathers (most forgiving). Your going to want to leave them long. I only cut a 1/2" off of the factory edge. They are a super stiff spine, that is why you need to use so much weight in the point end and leave them long. It weakens them back out to your spine. With these arrows you will need a .012 blade. If your arrow ends up being a little too stiff just up your poundage. If its too weak lower your poundage. With your setup I think they would be about right. If your gunna use carbon I would go with Gold Tip. I have never shot them but I see a ton of pros using them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off the blade thickness you use is gunna depend a lot on the weight of your arrow. If your new to using a scope I wouldn't shoot anything more than a 4x lense. Its very hard to manage the movement out of a higher power lense. The scope dot size is something that is easy to play around with. Order a pack of them and play around with them.

Arrows can be a little tricky depending on what you want to do. Personally I love shooting aluminum indoors. I have shot aluminum and Carbon and the aluminum seem to be a lot more forgiving to me. I like Shooting Easton X7's 2712 with a 300 grain pin point. I would use 5" feathers (most forgiving). Your going to want to leave them long. I only cut a 1/2" off of the factory edge. They are a super stiff spine, that is why you need to use so much weight in the point end and leave them long. It weakens them back out to your spine. With these arrows you will need a .012 blade. If your arrow ends up being a little too stiff just up your poundage. If its too weak lower your poundage. With your setup I think they would be about right. If your gunna use carbon I would go with Gold Tip. I have never shot them but I see a ton of pros using them.
Many Thanks..
That's help me a lot ..
I have one more Q:
You mention that "Easton X7's 2712 with a 300 grain pin point" , for me, how I will know which size should I choose ? When I try Easton Shaft selector app, its give me many choices for the X7 with different spine.. So should I try your spine size ? or what ?

·
Registered
482 Posts
If shooting in International competition you should stick with a 23 series arrow since that is the largest diameter allowed. Whether you use an aluminum in a size like a 2315 with 120-180 grains in the front or an arrow like a Carbon Express CXL 250 with 100-140 grains in front is a matter of personal choice. The aluminum is cheaper but personally I feel that the CXL is the better choice due to the fact that being a top quality carbon is either straight or broken they , don't bend. I personally use Bohning 2.25 X-vanes on everything but my hunting arrows. Nocks are a personal choice I have used all of the nock choices and set ups available and really have no preference for indoor. When experimenting on dot size make sure to try a combination of both dot and ring it helps to center up on the spot. I use an 8X with a huge ring for indoor but wouldn't suggest that to someone new to indoor from the beginning but a jump to a 6X for someone who has done quite a bit of shooting would not be a big jump just make sure to get a couple clarifiers and a Specialty archery peep. Blade size with the CXL arrows would be pretty well served with a #10. An important part of your set-up hasn't been touched on , your stabilizers. I prefer Dead Center Archery stabilizers myself but there are many others available. I use a 30''-33'' front bar with a dual riser mount and 12'' back bar set-up. Just a few options and examples.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I want to choose Easton FatBoy Arrow Shaft OR Easton Full Bore Arrow Shaft

- What is the maximum diameter allowed for FITA Indoor ? which size is the maximum allowed for the FITA INDOOR ?

- What is the recommended spine for 57#DW / 28" arrow length ? I know I have to try, but I need something near to right spine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
up up up

·
Registered
482 Posts
23 series arrow is the largest for FITA. The Easton Fat Boy in 400 spine should do nicely it is a 23 series arrow a Full Bore is a 27 series and would be too large for FITA. I'd probably run 120 grains in the front but it should be a very easy arrow to tune to your liking.

If I want to choose Easton FatBoy Arrow Shaft OR Easton Full Bore Arrow Shaft

- What is the maximum diameter allowed for FITA Indoor ? which size is the maximum allowed for the FITA INDOOR ?

- What is the recommended spine for 57#DW / 28" arrow length ? I know I have to try, but I need something near to right spine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
23 series arrow is the largest for FITA. The Easton Fat Boy in 400 spine should do nicely it is a 23 series arrow a Full Bore is a 27 series and would be too large for FITA. I'd probably run 120 grains in the front but it should be a very easy arrow to tune to your liking.
Many thanks

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Maximum diameter allowed for FITA Indoor is 9.3mm or 0.366"
...so in this case fat shafts like Full Bore or X7 2712 (both +/- 0.42 ) are out of question

That leaves Easton Fatboy (dia. +/- .351 @ .500 spine )
With your PCE XL ( spiralx ? ) , 57#/ 26" :
.500 spine Fatboy - 100g glue-in point , 27.5-28" shaft , 3" feathers = 255fps , 11% FOC ( numbers generated by Pinwheel software to give You closest match to perfect dynamic spine )

or add some aluminum to this order and experiment with max. allowed size 2315 , left uncut , overly stiff arrow for your setup , which You can fit with an insert and play around with point weight ( screw in points are very cheap , You can buy a few packs of various weights and still pay less than a dozen of quality glue-in points :wink: ) ... aluma sticks are relatively cheap too , so its up to You .

For Fatboys and 2315's , i'd choose 10 wide blade ( or narrow if You're up to challenge hehe )

Scope Dots : order a pack of these http://www.lancasterarchery.com/specialty-super-circles-dots-black-orange-yellow.html and experiment with various sizes ... start with tiny dot - if it's too ' jumpy ' switch to overly big dot that will cover whole x,10 and 9 . This is something You have to figure out on your own , each one of Us likes different configuration.

For indoors i always use feathers , but You can use just about anything You like ... believe me , if your bow is tuned and arrow rest setup properly ...the choice of vane becomes less critical , especially on known distance targets . Pick what You like and blast away . Feathers take the beating of group shooting a little better than vanes - and though more expensive, You will save money and effort by re-fletching less.

PS : typed on a phone , excuse incoherent rumbling.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maximum diameter allowed for FITA Indoor is 9.3mm or 0.366"
...so in this case fat shafts like Full Bore or X7 2712 (both +/- 0.42 ) are out of question

That leaves Easton Fatboy (dia. +/- .351 @ .500 spine )
With your PCE XL ( spiralx ? ) , 57#/ 26" :
.500 spine Fatboy - 100g glue-in point , 27.5-28" shaft , 3" feathers = 255fps , 11% FOC ( numbers generated by Pinwheel software to give You closest match to perfect dynamic spine )

or add some aluminum to this order and experiment with max. allowed size 2315 , left uncut , overly stiff arrow for your setup , which You can fit with an insert and play around with point weight ( screw in points are very cheap , You can buy a few packs of various weights and still pay less than a dozen of quality glue-in points :wink: ) ... aluma sticks are relatively cheap too , so its up to You .

For Fatboys and 2315's , i'd choose 10 wide blade ( or narrow if You're up to challenge hehe )

Scope Dots : order a pack of these http://www.lancasterarchery.com/specialty-super-circles-dots-black-orange-yellow.html and experiment with various sizes ... start with tiny dot - if it's too ' jumpy ' switch to overly big dot that will cover whole x,10 and 9 . This is something You have to figure out on your own , each one of Us likes different configuration.

For indoors i always use feathers , but You can use just about anything You like ... believe me , if your bow is tuned and arrow rest setup properly ...the choice of vane becomes less critical , especially on known distance targets . Pick what You like and blast away . Feathers take the beating of group shooting a little better than vanes - and though more expensive, You will save money and effort by re-fletching less.

PS : typed on a phone , excuse incoherent rumbling.
Many thanks for the help ... Which tuning do you recommend (paper tuning, bare shaft ... etc ) ?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I'm sorry , as much as I like to help out fellow archers , i no longer offer my advise about any form of tuning on ArcheryTalk.

Go with One You are most confident and experienced with . Can't help You there , bud .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sorry , as much as I like to help out fellow archers , i no longer offer my advise about any form of tuning on ArcheryTalk.

Go with One You are most confident and experienced with . Can't help You there , bud .
Many thanks friend .. you already help me alot
regards

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Download the Nuts and bolts tuning guide at the top of this page it will answer all your questions.
That's what I am going to do, I will read Easton tuning papers too
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
133 Posts
Having spent some time in neighboring Iraq and trying to keep supplied on materials that come from the states, the only advice that I would offer is this: Buy several blade sizes. They aren't that expensive compared to waiting 5 weeks or more for replacements because you actually needed one size larger. Other than that, I'm going through the same process right now so I have no valid suggestions :)

·
Socket Man
24,797 Posts
1. Get the speciality peep and a number 1 clarifier to go with your 4x lense.

2. For just indoor shooting if you have no size limits get the gold tip xxx and leave them full length and put some heavy points up front and use feathers.

3. For shooting that is outdoor get some micro diameter arrows because they shoot well in the wind compared to fat ones.

4. For indoor restricted shoots on size get the gold tip that is just under the limit either the series 22 shaft or the x cutter shaft. I shoot the x cutters and they are freaking awesome and tough and group tune to the same hole as a group in a hooter shooter really easily. I don't know the size of a x cutter.

5. Just get a few blades and test them and find the one that the arrow draws back with without bouncing or falling off all the time.

6. get some b-stingers I shoot the competitors and they are cheaper than the premiers and do the same job and look cool doing it. Get the 33 front rod and 15 rear rod.

7. Get a bunch of their weights so you can customize the stab weights up front and in the rear and get your float smaller and steadier.

8. Buy a bunch of targets that you will be shooting so you always have some at hand when the range doesn't.

9. Get a easton field quiver, they are affordable and really work well and look cool.

10 Get a browning 3d stool for every day shooting, they are awesome to use when shooting outside because you can lean your bow on it and they have a zipper area that holds all of your stuff and arrow tubes.

11 I really like pro point pins or knock busters as my company to buy points for my arrows they really work well and are tough.

12 Get a light to shine on your fibers if you use a pin because seeing on some ranges is tough with poor lighting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.