Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What lens power, housing size and do you shoot black dot or circle? Do you shoot a clearfier peep?

If your shooting tru spot what size also.

In the market for new something for indoors.

T

·
0 Posts
I just got a CR apex target scope from lancaster's and i love it, I think it is a 1 1/4 and i'm using a 4x lense with a 3/16 orange dot and it is pretty clear, no need for a clarifier

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I use a Shrewd scope with a 5X lens and a .060 size black dot indoors. Best thing I have found for me so far, although I just got one of those DX Pro lights and I think this is going to be the new ticket! You can adjust the the briteness of the dot and it makes it look smaller or larger. Really cool unit! Here's the link.
http://www.lparcheryproducts.com/index.html
I am going to try it out tomorow. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Small Titan scope with small black dot and 3/8 orange ring. I use
the dot for three spot and the orange ring on five spot.

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Bullseye Millenium Target with a 6X 3/8" center grind True-Spot lens. Awesome scope, no dot or circle to chase around, just let your eyes do what they naturally want to do - keep things that are round centered on each other.

Clear and magnified in the grind, reverse power on the outside of the grind.

field14

:D

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
After a couple of years of shooting with a dot, I tried the Truespot for a while and could never shoot the scores I did with a dot, my best being a 58X. Just not for me I guess.

So now I'm back to a 6x scope with a dot, don't know the size of dot offhand, but it fills about 75% of the 5-ring area on a NFAA five spot, giving me a surround of white around my dot.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
goldielocks approach..

Bullseye Millenium Target with a 8X, 3/8" center grind True-Spot lens. 2 power clarifier. Tried EVERYTHING and this worked best for me. Still does...:D

·
Registered
726 Posts
DB
I know you had a truspot for a while so this is why I will recommend to you the x-view lense by Britesite 6 power. I use the red(3) clarifier super peep but some people can get away with using the (2)clarifier.

I have a truspot 8x 1/4grind-it worked great until I tried Britesite's x-view, I then found the x-view lense much easier to hold steady. I think it is because the center of the lense is bigger than the truspot and lets your mind relax a little more when aiming. Compared to the truspot where I struggled to keep it in the center.

One more comment,, I thought the truspot was the best lense/scope out there, so if I would not of tried the x-view, I would still be bragging about the truspot on how great of a scope it is, because it is a great scope!!.

Just my observations,

Mike

here is the website- I think the scope is called Vegas Top Gun(1") and the (1.35") is called Vegas Big View. I am currently using the 1"

http://www.britesitetuner.com/index.html

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got to ask!

Why does everyone use such high power lens when its 20yrds. What is the reasoning. Wouldnt 2X or 3X work? This would elimanate clearfier peep.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Dan I am using an EXTREME XTG 1 3/8" housing with a Feathervisions 2X Exeplar lens for everything that is target (indoor, field, and fita) I abolutely do not need a clarifier. With me just using a 2X, the dot I am using is the ones that SS sells. I use black and I believe it's the third smallest. I find with this It covers about 2/3's of the white "5" for indoor and works just as great for everything else too.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
i use a super scope with a center drilled hole. i aim with the hole. no fiber, no dot, no ring. that is just me though. i have a 5x lens for indoors with a tru peep-no clarifier.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I use a 1.3" X8 lense with a red clarifier and a homemade black circle for 20 yards, With this combination I can see the ten circle and the stick-on black circle which I made fits just outside the ten circle. When the two circles meet - its a 10,

For 30,50,70,90, meters I use X6 with a green clarifier lense.

Good shooting,

Mike.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I will tell you that I shoot only a 4x super scope because I'am not that good to hold all of that extra power still. I know that Chance told me he was only shooting a 2x. I know that it is hard enufe to hold all of that power still under normal conditions little less under the presure of a big shoot. I know that the hardest thing is that little guy in the level surfing from all of the waves when I shake as much as I due. The thing is geat what works best for you.

Reo Wilde

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I'm using a Bull's Eye Millennium 8X 3/8" grind with a #2 clarifier in a super peep.

(Tip from Jim Despart: If you use a super peep, or any peep, put a bit of heat shrink around the housing and you should not have problems with the peep cutting the string.)

I had a local optician make me a 2X and a 4X lens for the Millennium scope so I could try a regular lens with a dot. I didn't like them at all. (I need to try some larger dots and a ring.)

The truespot lens works best for me.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I shoot an 8X lens from ATC with a ring in a CR Apex housing and a green Super peep clarifier.

This is definitely too much power for me with a dot, but with a ring I can focus on the target and the moving of the ring doesn't bother me.

This combination allows me to see the X clearly. I just focus on the X and squeeze off the release.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have to play some

(1) I use a Tru-spot with a 8x 3/8 grind
(2) I use a Brite-site Vegas Big Veiw with a 6 x with fiber optic and a 7x with fiber optic both fiber optic are drilled lenses.

I use a Micro Tru-peep for everything don't need a clerifer peep then.

Target 1

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Mike,
I think the main problem you had with the true-spot was the 1/4" grind in 8X- - -holy cow! That is one TOUGH bugger to hold steady even when a person is solid as a rock. You would have had better success with the 8X - 3/8" grind or the 6X 3/8" grind.

I have an 8X 1/4" grind and I must be having a heck of a great day to hold that thing in there! and since I don't have many great days - - I don't use it much, haha.

Good Shooting,

field14:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts