Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , id like to make my own arows and id like to know if anyone can suggest a good inexpensive Fletching Jig and a good fletching glue that they sell in bulk or if you have an alternative to fletching glue id be glad to hear about it,
id like to spend the least ammount of money but still have a good product. also if you know the supplier who has these items cheapest pleast let me know!

Also how do even choose a fletchin jig ? i dont understand whats all the difference between left wing, right wing and straight

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Cartel fletching jig, you can find one on ebay. Its basically a low cost bitzenberger style jig.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
Hi , id like to make my own arows and id like to know if anyone can suggest a good inexpensive Fletching Jig and a good fletching glue that they sell in bulk or if you have an alternative to fletching glue id be glad to hear about it,
id like to spend the least ammount of money but still have a good product. also if you know the supplier who has these items cheapest pleast let me know!

Also how do even choose a fletchin jig ? i dont understand whats all the difference between left wing, right wing and straight

Thanks!
Greyling Fletching jig, Bhonning fletching jig. goggle those.
I have a greyling jig I bought about 10 years ago and it still works just fine.

Any super glue works just fine for any fletching job. 3 tubes for a buck at wal-mart works good.

Right wing are feathers taken off the right wing of the bird.
left wing are fleathers taken off the left wing of the bird.

Clamps use right wing clamp for right wing feathers, this puts a right helical (twist) on the fletch
use left wing clamp for left wing feathers this puts a left helical (twist) on the fletch.
use a straight clamp if you don't want any helical (twist) on the fletch.

Plastic vanes don't come in right or left, so just use what ever clamp you want too with the plastic vanes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i should have mentioned, an inexpensive multiple arrow jig ,my bad.considering you have wait 15 minutes per side of the arrow, too long especially when i want to make alot arrows.

but im looking the glue in bulk , not in small quanitys, like 500ml ,i know it seems like alot but im gonna make alot of arrows.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
For multi arrow the Jo Jan fletching jig works well.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Buy you a used bitz on here. It will last a lifetime. As for glue buy loctite ultra gel.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
i should have mentioned, an inexpensive multiple arrow jig ,my bad.considering you have wait 15 minutes per side of the arrow, too long especially when i want to make alot arrows.

but im looking the glue in bulk , not in small quanitys, like 500ml ,i know it seems like alot but im gonna make alot of arrows.
When you say alot of arrows how many are you talking about? The shelf life on alot of glues is not more than a year and a tube of Loctite Ultra Control Gel will do 2 dozen If you take the tube out of the plastic holderthey put it in.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
AAE makes a cheap beginning fletching jig...for about 25 bucks...as opposed to 70 plus for a Bitz...as for waiting 15 minutes...I glue a fletch wait a few and then move on...an evening watching TV and fletching arrows and the time flies by...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Cartel fletching jig, you can find one on ebay. Its basically a low cost bitzenberger style jig.
I use a grayling fletching jig. $25 from eagle archery. Made in America. Exact copy of a bitz. Some even say its better. I also use duravanes 100 for $8.50 and to fletch them i use krazy glue, it makes an amazing bond.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
AAE makes a cheap beginning fletching jig...for about 25 bucks...as opposed to 70 plus for a Bitz...as for waiting 15 minutes...I glue a fletch wait a few and then move on...an evening watching TV and fletching arrows and the time flies by...
Why does a bitz take 15 minutes?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you say alot of arrows how many are you talking about? The shelf life on alot of glues is not more than a year and a tube of Loctite Ultra Control Gel will do 2 dozen If you take the tube out of the plastic holderthey put it in.
For now ill do a few , like a couple dozen,to the get feel,and later ill make like 1-200.So you say that 1 bottle can fletch 2 dozen shafts , with 3 or 4 vanes ? Also what is the best size of vane ? 4 inch or 5 inch, im not sure which to choose.

Why does a bitz take 15 minutes?
thats how long they said the vane must be on the arrow for it to fully adhere.(fletching tutorial i saw online,dont remember where)

Anyways,i think ill get myself a Jo Jan fletching jig.Its definitely going to save me some time

·
Registered
2,827 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
With Loctite and the EZ fletch I leave them in for about 2 minutes. That is how long it takes to put a dab of glue on the front of the vane of the previous arrow. I have not had any adhering issues with blazers, aae, norway, or feathers.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I use a single JoJan and Gorilla brand super glue. Only takes about 12 seconds of pressure to adhere the vane, flip to next position and glue on the next one. Have shot them (through whisker biscuit) as little as 15 minutes later. Have done blazers and duravanes. Only adherence problem I have had is with a few 3" duravanes (only four out of the 100 pack so far). They would not initially adhere. I have done a dozen others out of the same pack with no problems, so am not sure what caused it. Have not had any come off after they initially stuck, including some that went through a rug backstop.

Go

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use a single JoJan and Gorilla brand super glue. Only takes about 12 seconds of pressure to adhere the vane, flip to next position and glue on the next one. Have shot them (through whisker biscuit) as little as 15 minutes later. Have done blazers and duravanes. Only adherence problem I have had is with a few 3" duravanes (only four out of the 100 pack so far). They would not initially adhere. I have done a dozen others out of the same pack with no problems, so am not sure what caused it. Have not had any come off after they initially stuck, including some that went through a rug backstop.

Go

Ok but how do you choose the vane size ? also what is best ,3 vanes or 4 vanes ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts