Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Upgrade is such a subjective term. What are you trying to do with those upgrades? Knowing that will allow the AT community to better advise you.

Just looking at your rig, I would offer that you lose the tube peep and put a Tru Peep, Specialty peep, or even one of those circle hunter peeps that splits the string into 3 and doesn't need to rotate any special way to properly align. The tube is robbing you of some speed, and is one more thing to break at the worst possible time.

You could look into upgrading your stabilizer. The hunter units that have an adjustable front and side bar are really nice. AAE Western Hunter is not adjustable, but reasonably priced. Bee Stinger and Doinker also offer complete stab kits, but they are pricey.

How are your arrows? Are they all about the same weight (within 5 grains of each other)? Are they all about the same straightness? Does the spine match your DL, DW, and point weight? Basically, are they right for your bow? Also, are you going to be target shooting on a league or similar? If so, you might want to invest in some larger diameter arrows to cut lines and gain a few points.

A new arrow rest that has micro adjust is nice for tuning. But for hunting, there is nothing wrong with the WB you've got on there. For target, many shooters use limb driven drop aways, or blade style target rests.

You could upgrade the sight if you want to. But honestly, with a fixed pin sight, once its sighted in and you aren't moving it anymore, they all pretty much do the same thing. As long as the fiber diameter is what you are looking for, you should be fine with that sight.

Spend your money on things that have a chance at improving how you shoot or increasing bow performance. A new peep will gain you some speed. A new stab could help balance your bow. New arrows could help with accuracy and cutting lines for higher score.

My personal philosophy on upgrades and gear is that I buy the best accessories I can afford. Things like sights, stabs, rests, etc, can be swapped from bow to bow. If you have a high quality sight in 2019, it will still be high quality in 2025. Same with stabs and rests. Move the really expensive stuff to new bows as they are acquired. That's a good way to shoot high end on the cheap.

Have fun

I

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes i agree. Peep will be the first thing togo seeing how it needs adjusted. Any idea if it possible to upgrade the cam stop, make a less squishy back wall?

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,133 Posts
In order.....

1) Sight
2) Rest
3) Stabalizer
4) Strings
5) Peep but only after new strings.
6) Bow

·
Texas Hunter
1,219 Posts
The squishy back wall is because it is a cable stop bow...meaning the stops go up against the cables which do move when contact is made. Make sure the timing is right (both stops are contacting at the same time). That could also be a factor in it feeling squishy. Sight is probably your weakest component. Having one with alot of fiber optic to gather light and a external light for low light situations (in a ground blind, dusk, and dawn) for me is almost a necessity. Most of all just have fun with what you have. Look at upgrading a little at a time. Like what was said already...higher price components can be transfered to your next bow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah ok, i have a pse bow that has the cable stops and it doesnt seem nearly as squishy back wall. Do you think is would get better with custom strings?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the edge sb1 and so far I have only swapped the rest to a drop away QDX. GREAT decision. Next I'll upgrade the apex 3 pin to a spot hogg. Swap that WB as its the "cheapest Upgrade with noticeable change imo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts