Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's legal to use archery equipment during the Ohio gun season.

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
I would say yes. You will be required to wear blaze orange.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
No you cannot use archery equipment during the shotgun season.But you can use it during the muzzleloader season.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Archery season in Ohio runs the first Satuday of Oct to Jan 31st. There is no split for gun season. You must wear orange during gun and late muzzeloader (and a bulletproof vest wouldn't hurt)and legal hours end at sunset verses a half hour past. Nothing prevents your from taking your bow instead of a shotgun. I just hope have some private ground, you would need to dig a foxhole instead of hanging a stand on public ground during that week.
There is a new youth gun weekend this year the weekend before regular shotgun, same rules apply.
You can download the regs here http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/PDF/Pub 085.pdf

·
Registered
628 Posts
Bowhazard is right..... you can hunt with a bow through Jan 31..... but it is not recommeded unless you have you're own 2K acres to prevent flying lead from reaching you. In SE Ohio, it is not unheard of to hear those extra loud, extra long, extra fast, extra small calibre "shotgun" rounds to crank off on opening day. Not to mention, it only takes one yahoo $5 and a trip to Walmart to buy some ammo that could kill you with his never been fired before Rem 870 pump. ;)

I used to hunt Shotgun season, but it is just too crazy for me. I don't need a dear that bad! :(

However, to each his own.

Siefrj

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. It is not my time of choice to go hunting but a friend's mother lives about 40 miles south of Cleveland and can get us permission to hunt on a couple of farms there. He refuses to go during archery season. He has great archery equipment and is a good target shooter but he has no confidence when it comes to hunting.

I, on the other hand, would rather kill a doe with a bow than a 10 point with a gun.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just bought my out of state license in Ohio today. OUCH!!!

Jeremy

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ohio NR $91.00 plus a $20.00 tag. $111.00
WV NR $100.00 plus $25 Bow Only $125.00
Ind NR $120.75
Ky NR $115.00 plus $25 $140.00
MI NR Bow only $125.00

Wanna trade???

Actually, Ohio fees go up next year. Good ole Govenor Taxt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts