Archery Talk Forum banner

Infrared Emitters on Trail Cameras

456 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ozarksbuckslaye
Does the red glow from the infrared emitters spook or cause alarm in game animals and more particular deer? Don't ask me how they came up with this one but one theory I've heard is deer are skittish around the cameras that have the IR because they associate the red glow supposedly to predators eyes.
Is there a filter you can put over the IR emitters so game animals won't see them? Do the filters cut down on the effectiveness of the emitters? I seen on one of the reviews for the Scoutguard SG550V there was a picture of one with a filter, does anyone know if this in fact was a filter to cut down on this glow and if so do you know where to get these filters?
Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7,294 Posts
:moviecorn:

· Registered
55,435 Posts
These types of things bother people a ton more than the game animal. Over thinking it. Same thing with a flash on a camera, I've never really seen any pictures where it bothers the game, if anything they seem to get very curious as to what it is and come closer to investigate. Noise/smell will bother an animal more than these lights will. I've looked at hundreds of photos, flash or not and it doesn't seem to bother them one bit.;)

· Guipago
3,109 Posts
First it was..... "Your regular flash camera spooks game, buy our IR camera that eliminates the game spooking flash."

Now... "your IR camera spooks game, buy our IR filtered camera that eliminates the red glow from spooking game - because we are running out of things to charge more money for..."

· Banned
4,880 Posts
I don't have any idea if they spook game or not.All I've ever used were flash cameras.I have four $50 el cheapo cams that have slow trigger speedsThey have two led lights that light up for 2-3 seconds before a picture is taken.The ir one is red and the other is green.Usually I tape over those lights but sometimes I forget to.Here is an old doe I got a picture of the other day while she was checking out the pretty little lights.I think it really depends on the deer.Some are pretty brave and others will spook and not come back around the camera just from seeing it hanging hanging on the tree.I have some other white flash cams that don't have any lights besides the flash with faster trigger speeds and I take just about as many pictures whith the cheaper ones.I've even tried turning the flashes off several times and can't tell much difference in picture count.If anything I get more with the flash on because some deer get a big kick out of running back in front of the camera making the flash go off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.