Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Grandpa just gave me a bow that I need to learn about. I don't know what string I should get or what arrows I can shoot. The bow itself is 66 and 1/2 inches and my arm span is 68 and 1/2 inches. The Bow is older because it was his so I don't know how that would affect things. It looks to be in good shape visually with no warping or cracks but I am by know means an expert on anything right now but I would love to learn. I would appreciate any comments on what to string it with and the arrow it should use. I for some reason can't post pictures on this thing so if you want to see pictures I could email you them ([email protected]) if that would help in your analysis.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Start by reading a bit. See if your local library has one of these books:

- _Shooting the Stickbow_ by Anthony Camera
- _Beginner's Guide to Traditional Archery_ by Brian J. Sorrells
- _Traditional Archery_ by Sam Fadala

All are good, though if memory serves, Fadala's book is a bit dated.

Here's an old post w/ some interesting information:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=336357

and another:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1709520

Lots of good information in older threads here....

Your bow is probably 66" A.M.O. so should need a ~62" actual length string which should be labeled as 66" A.M.O. Also get a bow stringer.

If it's a metal laminate bow it's a collector's item which shouldn't be shot or even strung.

If it's an all wood bow or wood backed w/ a natural material, I'd be concerned about breakage and if I were to shoot it would approach that very cautiously and slowly (flex limbs using a stringer one day, string it the next for a few minutes then unstring it, re-string it the third day and partially draw it a few times then unstring it --- if nothing worrisome happens try shooting on the fourth day). Probably better as a wall-hanger though.

Probably it's a wood fiberglass laminate though, which should be quite shootable if the limbs aren't twisted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. I'll do some more reading. Its an all wood bow so I'll do what you said unless it turns out I should just hang it on the wall.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Any other markings on the bow?

Knowing the draw weight is important - but you can always have it measured.

(BTW, I use to live in Wichita 20 years ago, while I was at McConnell AFB and WSU).

·
wannabtradguy
15,320 Posts
yes. if you see any writing on it anywhere that would help. also when you get a string for it, make sure to get dacron.

·
Archery curmudgeon
2,781 Posts
What EK is saying is old wood bows tend to dry out and can splinter or shatter when strung and pulled back after years of not being used. If it's a longbow, and it sounds like it is, get a string 3" shorter than the measurement from string nock groove to string nock groove. Then string it using the push pull method. Start flexing it very slowly a little at a time and if you don't hear any noises work up to a full draw. No guarantee the bow won't blow up though. Cedar arrows would be good to shoot out of it but you should have someone weigh the bow to get the proper spine for it. HTH.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speaking of markings. The only marking on the bow which I assume is the brand, it is a little worn so I can't read every letter but what I can see is "BEN PEAR_ _ _" With a arrow through the middle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts