Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer I was in a bicycle accident. Since that accident my draw shoulder has been messed up. While I can use a cable-pull weight system at the gym loaded with 55 lb of weight I'm finding that three pulls on a 50 lb compound and I'm past where I can think about another pull. I lost the last 2 months of 3D season last year due to the injury.

While I can still do my very physical job (with some discomfort) I can't enjoy my life. 3D season opens in little over a month and I can't pull my bow 30 times in one day, let along hit anything.

I'm considering going crossbow since our club has included them in the competition.

What would be a good, mid-range crossbow for a beginner? I would probably choose scope over red-dot even thought that means shooting from the farthest stake. I would only compete against other crossbows, not other compound or other shooters and all we award are medals on ribbons. No one walks away with money.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
With that shoulder injury you may have trouble with even cocking a crossbow with the t handles that most use. I would look into a Tenpoint Turbo XLT with and Acudraw on it.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
The 3D crowd ... seem to use recurves a lot. Excalibur probably being the most popular. Ten Point makes a nice one too. Both great companies to deal with. Top shelf equipment and world class customer service.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
No matter what you get, get a crank cocking system to go with it. You're on your way doing rehab. No need to suffer a setback.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
HB ... sorry to hear about your condition.

I have a similar problem, although, being retired, it doesn't bother me on the job.

One of the best companies you can buy a bow from is TenPoint. If you are only going to shoot 3-d, this is a good model to look at. You can set the draw weight at 3 different levels, and you can get and ACUdraw (a crank to cock the bow ... generally acknowledged as one of the best if not THE best crank available).

http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=92&cat=<br>GT+Flex

If you don't have a great TenPoint dealer in your area, call David at WyvernCreations.com and talk to him. If you read the comments made by people on this forum, you will not see a single negative thing said about him. In fact, his customers go out of their way to put his name on posts in this site ... and there is a reason for that -- he has earned this status.

Hope you get set for your season!!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I would go with either a ten point or a Excalibur with a built in accu draw crank cocking system. I would also look at the ten points mono pod that bolts on. If I was doing 3D shooting with a crossbow I would have the mono pod attached!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts